Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich

Comments

• Options
    Avoid getting the DLR from Greenwich to Lewisham. Trains were very quiet though.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

The trains were dead too coming home tonight. Was back in Welling by 5pm.

What do you expect if you're only doing a half day! ;-)

• Options
    WSS said:

JohnBoyUK said:

The trains were dead too coming home tonight. Was back in Welling by 5pm.

What do you expect if you're only doing a half day! ;-)

Ha, fair point.
  • Options
    Got to say re the Old Brewery that I'd heard so much about it that we selected it for the family promotion celebration in April. Great setting, and the beers are nice if you can swallow the prices, but I thought the food, and five of us sampled a lot of things, was distinctly average.
    I will be over with my Czech brother-in-law next week for the Olympics, so if anyone can suggest me an alternative near Eltham for a pub which does decent beer and decent food (not fancy, good English stuff), I'd be very grateful.
  • Options

Few ladies in Jodhpurs and riding boots at Greenwich station earlier. Very nice.
  • Options

Got to say re the Old Brewery that I'd heard so much about it that we selected it for the family promotion celebration in April. Great setting, and the beers are nice if you can swallow the prices, but I thought the food, and five of us sampled a lot of things, was distinctly average.
    I will be over with my Czech brother-in-law next week for the Olympics, so if anyone can suggest me an alternative near Eltham for a pub which does decent beer and decent food (not fancy, good English stuff), I'd be very grateful.

Plume of Feathers in Greenwich is a good place for pub grub

• Options
    Second what @SHG said.
  • Options
    Yep. Plume is good all right.
    Pelton Arms is a decent shout too.
    A bit more poncey - but has anyone been in the Guilford since it reopened?
  • Options
    Thankyou, shall have to give the brewery a go. Agree the plume is a great little boozer.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Don't forget London Bridge station platforms 1-6 are shut from 6pm tonight.

Platforms 1-6 were re-opened at about 8pm because there were fewer passengers using the station than anticipated
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

and thought there was a bomb scare on.

There was in Lewisham, so you were close.
  • Options

Yep. Plume is good all right.
    Pelton Arms is a decent shout too.
    A bit more poncey - but has anyone been in the Guilford since it reopened?

Only for a drink and bar meal downstairs last Christmas. He's ruined the shape of pub downstairs and it had no atmosphere/character to it at all. Have not ventured upstairs but as i was disappointed with it, I wont be going back.

I think Greenwich traders have just been on the BBC news as they are up in arms at the moment as businesses are struggling - people attending the park are just being shepherded straight from station to Park with barriers up and so people are not stopping to shop, eat or drink and there are no other tourists/shoppers about.

• Options

I think Greenwich traders have just been on the BBC news as they are up in arms at the moment as businesses are struggling - people attending the park are just being shepherded straight from station to Park with barriers up and so people are not stopping to shop, eat or drink and there are no other tourists/shoppers about.

The traders and shops could have helped themselves a bit by actually being open for business. By 9am thousands of people were streaming through Greenwich, the Market didn't start 'til 12 and only a few shops were open by 10.
  • Options
    The poor sods who are here from overseas are being well and truly fleeced, so I am not surprised they are content with getting in and out. They will know they are paying over the odds at the venues but with all the local businesses looking to cash-in and rip them off too, they will probably be haemorrhaging dough. I know someone who bought five coffees and four muffins in Greenwich at the weekend and was charged £34. Local pubs charging £4.50 a pint are also ripping their locals off. No sympathy I am afraid.
  • Options
    There was a cafe outside the Excel, so I thought would be cheaper than inside. 4 bacon rolls and 4 coffees, £31.50!

Read last night that the barriers mentioned above now being taken down.
  • Options
    I think after the olympics have gone locals will remember who have ripped them off and will hopefully boycott them.
  • Options
    Cant get a hotel/room for rent/hostel/B and B in Greenwich for love nor money.
    So where are these people eating?
  • Options

If they have any sense they're getting stuff from Lidl and making their own sarnies. I bet if they stop you taking any food in, you could challenge it by saying their are no vegetarian options in the official grub, cos there won't be. If someone wants to take away your food simply ask them to tell you the difference between vegetarian cheese and ordinary cheese, works 90% of the time.

• Options
    Take always in their rooms, or eating in the accommodation. We have the same thing in Albufeira. The place looks packed with people wandering about, but no one is spending much money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

If they have any sense they're getting stuff from Lidl and making their own sarnies. I bet if they stop you taking any food in, you could challenge it by saying their are no vegetarian options in the official grub, cos there won't be. If someone wants to take away your food simply ask them to tell you the difference between vegetarian cheese and ordinary cheese, works 90% of the time.

All the events we have been to have allowed us to take our own food in, so there may be mileage in the Lidl concept.
    Have to say the food on sale has been excellent quality, and yes, there are health food stalls even at the football selling fruit etc, and vegetarian pasties etc.
  • Options
    Vegetarian pasties...do you mean the one and only option for veggies of the ubiquitous and vile cheese and onion pasty? Thats all it ever is.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Vegetarian pasties...do you mean the one and only option for veggies of the ubiquitous and vile cheese and onion pasty? Thats all it ever is.

Eat meat like real people! Easy.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Take your own food in then. Simple.

And probably more effective than inaccurately imagining/moaning you cant take your own food in or the quality thereof, or saying there are ''no vegetarian options'' then when told there are, moaning about that too.

• Options
    I

seth plum said:

And probably more effective than inaccurately imagining/moaning you cant take your own food in or the quality thereof, or saying there are ''no vegetarian options'' then when told there are, moaning about that too.

If you read back you will see that my initial thoughts were to indeed take your own sandwiches.
    The word 'options' is a plural.

• Options
    Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Eat meat like real people! Easy.
    How can I be expected to turn my stomach into an animals graveyard? I can hardly be described as a real person.
  • Options
    Local businesses increase their prices for a major event.....well that's a first!

And are we sure these weren't the prices being charged before the Olympics.....Greenwich and Docklands are hardly budget destinations anyway?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I

seth plum said:

If you read back you will see that my initial thoughts were to indeed take your own sandwiches.
    The word 'options' is a plural.

Come on now Seth.
    You clearly wrote that there wouldnt be vegetarian options

In the main food stall yesterday there were just three hot food options.
    Chicken, beef or cheese - so 1/3rd of the hot food was vegetarian.
    My chicken pasty was the best I've had at a venue and my friend Jorge said it was a great C and O.
    Most people were buying bags of fun size chocolates, Pringles Mars etc, except when we queued at the healthy option stall where a range of fruit single and in pre prepared mix packs, and nut packets bran/granola bars were available. I thought of complaining about the lack of meat, but realised that would have been quite ignorant of me.
    The beer was vegetarian too.
  • Options
    If the cheese wasn't vegetarian there would be no 'protein' option in the hot food.
  • Options
    Some people, jesus. There's always something to bleat about if you look hard enough.

Did they serve strong continental lager? If not then they're not catering well enough for us pish heads - not enough ABV. Poor show. Rhubarb.