Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dorian Dervite on trial

edited July 2012 in General Charlton
I'm presuming the lad on trial at Bromley today is a French centre half.

He was with Spurs academy a few years ago, had a three month loan at Southend in 2009 and they reckon he is the best centre half they have ever had there. Came 2nd in the PoTY despite only being there 3 months.

Been with Villareal B last couple if years. Think he has also trialled with Huddersfield this summer.

Comments

• How tall is he ?
  • Wiki says 6ft 3, he's also played for French U21s but sometimes that means nothing..

If he impresses, I hope he can push on, we do need another centre back.
  • No better than Ajayi. No way is he 6ft 3 either.
    No thanks.
  • Thought he looked ok today
  • Played for villareal b last season sounds good to me
  • Didn't look amazing at Bromley today, although helped keep a clean sheet I suppose.
  • Heard a rumour that he hadn't been paid at Villareal for 5 months, so should fit in well here................................
  • Looked solid and tidy at Bromley, decent distribution...
  • Quite interested in this one. I respect the opinions of the posters on here who say he didn't look brilliant against Bromley but against better teams he might have a chance to show some class. Got a bit more experience than our youngsters which will help. Don't fancy throwing Ajayi into the fire against the likes of Brum or Blackburn as it could knock his confidence if it goes badly. Having Dervite as a squad player and slowly easing our youngsters in may be the best strategy
  • No better than Ajayi. No way is he 6ft 3 either.
    No thanks.

So your judgement, Clem ........is based on watching a player for 60 mins, who is clearly not matchfit and had only a total of 3 days pre-season training?

• Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

No better than Ajayi. No way is he 6ft 3 either.
    No thanks.

So your judgement, Clem ........is based on watching a player for 60 mins, who is clearly not matchfit and had only a total of 3 days pre-season training?

Yep.

What are you basing your judgement on?

Quite easy to make a call on triallists imo. He is no better than what we have so whats the point?
  • I know some of the triallists have been with us for a while. That Chelsea kid Ashton has been with us since the back end of last season. Not sure if old Dorian has been with us for that long though.
  • Doubt there is very much anyone can teach SCP about defending so in his decision I will trust.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm basing my judgement on SCP's judgement, Clem.

• edited July 2012
    I'm getting slightly more enthused having read the rave reviews by Southend fans on Shrimperszone when a Huddersfield fan enquired about him.

He is described by one fan of 25 years as the best central defender he had seen at Roots Hall for 25 years ( which must include Leon Cort ) and he came second in their POTY vote despite having only played for the final three months of the season. Other plus points are the fact he has been capped by France at Under 21 level ( although so was Mouatakill ) and he has been at two big clubs during his development .

Concerns are his injury record which may have influenced the lack of first team action at the Lane where he only played one first team game against Port Vale in the Carling Cup . He is also right footed when I feel we could do with a natural leftie at centre back .

Another worry is that at Villareal he has only played around 23 games across two seasons for the B team playing in the second tier despite the fact that the senior side has now fallen to that level themselves last season .

Certainly worth a trial ,let's see how he performs against Crawley and the Gills if picked.
  • Not enough fellas named Dorian.
  • Lookout have you always been a master administrator? Posh
  • I was at the game, and as I said in another thread, a CB will never really look outstanding against a team like Bromley. My gut feel is he has the touch and class on the ball and experience to stand up to some of the better teams in the championship. Why would he look any better than Ajayi or Mambo in a game where he had very little to do.

I would like, and expect, him to come in. Morrison, Dervite, Cort and Taylor as our CBs.
  • Know what you mean. Similarly a player like Mambo can look pretty solid in a friendly (or cup game).

Wasn't at the game, but I expect he'll play at least once more, considering we're playing Bury on Tuesday and Crawley on Wednesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Thanks for posting the link .

• Looking at this thread, it begs the question, why didn't Huddersfield sign him then?
  • Melrose said:

Looking at this thread, it begs the question, why didn't Huddersfield sign him then?

He didn't hoof it up to Rhodes as often as they'd like?

• None of our current center backs came here with a record of being massively successful in their previous roles. Morrison was out of favor at Wednesday, Matt Taylor had played mostly in non-league, Leon Cort had been all over the place.

This guy is only 24 and has played for both Tottenham and Villareal B - I'd say there's got to be some talent there.
  • cafctom said:

None of our current center backs came here with a record of being massively successful in their previous roles. Morrison was out of favor at Wednesday, Matt Taylor had played mostly in non-league, Leon Cort had been all over the place.

This guy is only 24 and has played for both Tottenham and Villareal B - I'd say there's got to be some talent there.

My feelings exactly, just keen to know why Huddersfield who apparently were on the brink of signing him...........Haven't/Didn't!!

• Cort looked awful against Lisbon in the friendly, yet he was immense at the end of last season.

I trust Powelly to make the correct signings.
  • Melrose said:

cafctom said:

None of our current center backs came here with a record of being massively successful in their previous roles. Morrison was out of favor at Wednesday, Matt Taylor had played mostly in non-league, Leon Cort had been all over the place.

My feelings exactly, just keen to know why Huddersfield who apparently were on the brink of signing him...........Haven't/Didn't!!

Maybe because the player preferred the idea of taking a trial with Charlton. We are a bigger club than Huddersfield in pretty much every department.

• cafctom said:

Melrose said:

cafctom said:

Maybe because the player preferred the idea of taking a trial with Charlton. We are a bigger club than Huddersfield in pretty much every department.

Yep probably right and I expect a player may see London as a more appealing option than Huddersfield (no disrespect to Huddersfield)

• Melrose said:

cafctom said:

Melrose said:

cafctom said:

Yep probably right and I expect a player may see London as a more appealing option than Huddersfield (no disrespect to Huddersfield)

Do we want a player signing for us just because he fancies living in London though? I remember an interview with Curbs when he said that he had to be convinced a player wanted to play for Charlton, and bought into the ethos of the club, before signing him. We don't want players who are more interested in London nightlife than Charlton. Obviously I have no idea what position Dervite is in, so I'm not jumping to conclusions about him not signing for Huddersfield.
  • well reading through some posts on huddersfield forums, either he a) failed a medical b) couldn't agree terms or c) they didn't offer him a contract.
    on the whole they seem baffled by it all.

perhaps his agent had told him that we wanted him on trial and he wanted to win one with us instead.