Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic: Gymnastics.

Comments

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

Japanese were sore losers, feel gutted for the lads did so so well

Judging by the posts here we're the sore losers, despite over achieving!

• Options
    The consolation is that we had the softest relegation. From Gold to Silver or Bronze to nowt would both have been bigger blows
  • Options
    the guys done fantastic--just such a bitter taste to see it go from silver to bronze.
  • Options
    As a mere mortal, normal bloke I have absolutely no idea how they managed to do some of that stuff.

Disappointing re:the appeal but still got to be pleased with a medal.

• Options
    Well done, the boys done good!
  • Options
    Guys I am actually in a position to add a bit of insight into this hopefully.

My brother is the event organiser for the gymnastics at the Olympics and has lived and breathed the sport for pretty much thirty years, first as a half decent gymnast, secondly as a judge and for many of those as a coach. Giving up a lot of stuff along the way.

I got off the phone to him about an hour ago, and hopefully this will make people feel a bit better about the result.

Firstly and most importantly, the judges decision was correct. He told me that and the team know that and have accepted it, it's a given. What followed that just sums up what sets us apart from other countries as far as I'm concerned...

He went up to the team to offer his hand in congratulations after the Bronze was announced and to paraphrase slightly they replied.. "f**K that, we're not doing handshakes, only proper big hugs!!" and that's exactly what they did.

To coin a footballers phrase, they are absolutely over the moon and massively proud of what they have achieved and rightly so.

I for one, feel massively proud of the boys and so should the rest of Britain. It's a wonderful achievement for a little island punching way above it's weight as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    I understand all the above, but if the situation was reversed, would Team GB have complained to the judges or just accept that they lost ?????
  • Options
    Nice one Red_..
  • Options
    when you look at some of the countries with real historical pedigree in this event we beat then that bronze was just unbelievable, respect to the lads for getting the job done!
  • Options
    red_murph said:

My brother is the event organiser for the gymnastics at the Olympics and has lived and breathed the sport for pretty much thirty years, first as a half decent gymnast, secondly as a judge and for many of those as a coach. Giving up a lot of stuff along the way.

I got off the phone to him about an hour ago, and hopefully this will make people feel a bit better about the result.

Firstly and most importantly, the judges decision was correct. He told me that and the team know that and have accepted it, it's a given. What followed that just sums up what sets us apart from other countries as far as I'm concerned...

He went up to the team to offer his hand in congratulations after the Bronze was announced and to paraphrase slightly they replied.. "f**K that, we're not doing handshakes, only proper big hugs!!" and that's exactly what they did.

To coin a footballers phrase, they are absolutely over the moon and massively proud of what they have achieved and rightly so.

I for one, feel massively proud of the boys and so should the rest of Britain. It's a wonderful achievement for a little island punching way above it's weight as far as I'm concerned.

Is your brother Ben Murphy, Murph?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I understand all the above, but if the situation was reversed, would Team GB have complained to the judges or just accept that they lost ?????

I'd like to think that we'd just shook the hands with the medal winners and got on with it, but who knows?

As others have said, the lads done exceptionally well to get the bronze, so it's a "well done" from me.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    just watching the boys on bbc three now getting interviewed on a roof top at the olympic park, 11 o'clock at night and a big crowd down the bottom going mental for'em! love it.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I'd like to think that we'd just shook the hands with the medal winners and got on with it, but who knows?

As others have said, the lads done exceptionally well to get the bronze, so it's a "well done" from me.

No we would've moaned that no one wanted us to get a medal and jeopardised their own medals for ours

• Options

red_murph said:

LOL. Yes he is redlane. I hope I've not just stitched him up in anyway!! He'd bloody kill me.

Do you know him fella? Has a good connection to the Europa club in Bexley.

• Options
    red_murph said:

red_murph said:

LOL. Yes he is redlane. I hope I've not just stitched him up in anyway!! He'd bloody kill me.

I used to work with him (he never commented on the pics of Bartram & Hales on my wall...), but all my kids were/are gymnasts and my wife is volunteering at the O2, so yes we know Ben pretty well - a good guy but you should get him to The Valley more!
  • Options

Golfie, going on a brief conversation it isn't looked upon as a complaint fella. It was an enquiry, which teams are perfectly entitled to ask and in this case was proven right. They took time to deliberate it and came to the right decision, much like the third umpire in cricket I suppose.

Gutted it happened but thems the rules and we have to take it on the chin, happens a fair bit by all accounts, just unfortunate timing on our account given the circumstances and the pressure.

• Options
    I've got to say, that was f***ing incredible. Hats off - every time I see those blokes on the rings doing the crucifix I'm absolutely astonished - it looks completely impossible. Quality performance, great entertainment.
  • Options

red_murph said:

red_murph said:

I used to work with him (he never commented on the pics of Bartram & Hales on my wall...), but all my kids were/are gymnasts and my wife is volunteering at the O2, so yes we know Ben pretty well - a good guy but you should get him to The Valley more!
    Ha ha, he wouldn't have mate. Despite my Grandad, my dad and me all being Addicks he supports the scousers!!! He wouldn't have a clue who Killer was! ;0) Trust me we've tried to convert him and my niece has a Charlton kit, so never give up hope.

That's great to hear, and a small world we live in!

• Options
    Good God almighty - I think I'm in love. One of those Russian gymnasts today was unbelievable. Dug out an interview with her (it's in Russian - so turn the sound down and drool...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXnk6lf6JY&feature=player_embedded#! Her name's Ксения Афанасьева - which (I think) is Khsenya Afanisjieva (or similar).

AWOOOGAH

• Options
    A 39 year old Bulgarian just did the rings. Wow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently Beth Tweddle's doing a WR breaking difficulty on the uneven bars
  • Options
    yep, the scream in the stadium was awesome when they just introduced her.

Go on girl!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Awww great routine, but the steps gonna cost her

15.916, silver for the moment
  • Options
    Now in Bronze with the All Around winner and one of the best Japanese gymnasts left
  • Options
    now in 3rd..... with 2 to go....
  • Options
    Near faultless apart from the dismount. The steps definitely cost her unfortunately :0(
  • Options
    Just the American to go, Beth still in Bronze
  • Options
    Bronze for Tweddle. Loving the "Croydon Facelifts" ;-)
  • Options
    She slipped up, only got a 14.9, so Tweddle gets a Bronze!
  • Options
    Yay Bronze!!!!!! Well done Beth! longest wait ever!