Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Swimming

Bit disappointing with the empty seats there today. Seems strange, certainly wasn't expecting it.

Comments

• It's very odd. There must be some explanation - can't simply be that the tickets are unsold. Could it be that the empty seats are reserved for competitors etc?
  • Have got tickets for tomorrow morning - think we're up in the gods, which looked pretty busy, so may be the gaps might be for some of the corporate areas?
  • My son is working at the aquatics centre - has just left the house for his first shift.
  • There the tickets sold to the corporates I think. Swimming was sold out I'm sure.
  • I applied and failed to get tickets for the swimming

Looks like the chinese inspired a generation before us with the most amazing swim by a 16 year old girl in the 400m individual medley Final.... The last leg of freestyle she ripped the opposition a new one and broke the world record as well hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Apparently we rested our fastest swimmer for the freestyle relay just now, and we finished 6th about 4 seconds behind in the heats, and that's before the US, Australians, Germans and Russians have taken to the pool
  • If you already have a ticket for something, or a day pass to get in, you can get tickets at the ticket office for unsold/rejected events. Might be a bargain price too.
  • Is it me or does Ian Thorpe look like he's going to cry every time he speaks?
  • cafcpolo said:

Is it me or does Ian Thorpe look like he's going to cry every time he speaks?

I was thinking that he was a back stroker.
  • cafcpolo said:

He just looks very Orange to me.

• Sponsored links:

• cafcpolo said:

I was thinking that he was a back stroker.
    People over here have been claiming that he is gay for years but he recently issued a flat out denial, claiming he was straight.

It's his business of course but my Gaydar goes right off whenever I hear him talk.
  • He's as gay as Larry Grayson, but it's his business whether or not he wants to share that. It's still a massive thing for anyone to openly admit they're gay - even in a sport like swimming, where it's more 'accepted' than it would be in, say, football. He's definitely an odd bloke though - I remember his press conference when he announced a comeback - if it weren't for seeing him interviewed in the past I'd have thought he needed drug-testing - he looked mental. Guess that's what having a torso as long as an ostrich's leg and feet like a yeti will do to you.
  • edited July 2012
    what about mark foster , a very good looking fella, which team does he bat for

i like him anyway !
  • I have not been able to keep up with the Olympics today so apologies if I am repeating something that has been revisited endlessly on TV. However, thought I'd just give a mention to Natalie Coughlin, an American swimmer who today won her 16th Olympic medal, making her jointly the USA's most decorated Olympic athlete. She won 6 medals in Beijing, following 5 in Athens, and while Michael Phelps was being given worldwide publicity for his haul of medals, she was given very little (at least in this country). That is even more surprising when she looks like this
    NC.png 93.6K
  • Well done Adlington. Another medal for the total.
  • Tancock looks a good shout for a medal too. Shame that his main event isn't in the Olympics.
  • Off_it said:

Tancock looks a good shout for a medal too. Shame that his main event isn't in the Olympics.

Ballet ??
  • Off_it said:

Tancock looks a good shout for a medal too. Shame that his main event isn't in the Olympics.

Ballet ??
    Ha ha - yeah, I saw that earlier too. Reckon his coach was on a wind up there.
  • I'm amazed that there has been such hostility shown to those who have expressed surprise and disbelief at the performance of Ye Shiwen. Surely history suggests that any sportsperson who gets that good that quickly might be getting some extra help along the way? (For those not familiar with the story see http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012.)

• edited July 2012

I'm amazed that there has been such hostility shown to those who have expressed surprise and disbelief at the performance of Ye Shiwen. Surely history suggests that any sportsperson who gets that good that quickly might be getting some extra help along the way? (For those not familiar with the story see http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012.)

He compares the girl to Michele Smith for Ireland in Atlanta, however Michele won the races, she didn't break any records. She had previous won the Europeans the year before.

I know she was found guilty of sample tampering a few years later, but her performances at the Olympics where not world beating unlike this girl in question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Come off it - Michelle Smith was as dosed up to the eyeballs as FloJo was a decade earlier.
  • I'm amazed that there has been such hostility shown to those who have expressed surprise and disbelief at the performance of Ye Shiwen. Surely history suggests that any sportsperson who gets that good that quickly might be getting some extra help along the way? (For those not familiar with the story see http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012.)

He compares the girl to Michele Smith for Ireland in Atlanta, however Michele won the races, she didn't break any records. She had previous won the Europeans the year before.

I know she was found guilty of sample tampering a few years later, but her performances at the Olympics where not world beating unlike this girl in question.
    Turn it up!

Christ, Smith went from being a middle-of-the-road international swimmer in 1993 (when she met her convicted drug cheat husband) to sweeping all before her at the 96 Olympics - at the age of 26 when most swimmers are on the way down, not up.

She was very lucky that the anti-doping regime was not as strong in those days.
  • Jamieson & Willis qualified 1st and 3rd fastest for tomorrows mens 200m breastroke final.

They looked the absolute nuts and wont be far off a GB Gold and Silver.
  • Hopefully the tide is turning and those two swims weren't another set of promising qualiflying times not converted into medals.
  • WSSWSS
    edited July 2012
    Chad's dad is an absolute hero!

"Whatever happens in my life now, it's plain sailing...I've gone to heaven! Beautiful boy!"
  • ha that was a quality moment ''Unbelievable!''
  • Been a brilliant evening session at the pool. Seeing Chad and his family was great, and so pleased for Phelps. He showed a lot of class when that Chad beat him. Top guy.
  • Michael Phelps - Greatest Olympian Ever.

19 Medals: 15 Golds, 2 Silvers, 2 Bronze
  • Unbelievable achievement from Phelps.
  • A great olympian in every sense