Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Cycling - Road Race

Comments

• Options
    Were fucked guys too many strong finishers in this leading group, and theres about 30 of them as well. Should have forced the issue at the final ascent
  • Options
    Still going to be close. Don't write them off yet.
  • Options
    Even if Gb bridge the gap, Cav wont have a lead out train now.
  • Options
    Crash!!!
  • Options
    Big crash. Hopefully that helps our boys
  • Options

Cancellera looks good for the win here. Slipping away from TGB

CRASHES!

Ouch.

• Options
    Damn it I backed Cancellara
  • Options
    my word never been in to cycling but this is proper exciting
  • Options
    That geezer went through a red - got to be disqualified
  • Options
    Radio 5, makro car park charlton :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All over for Cav.
  • Options
    Game's up. Germans didn't help out - cost them and us.
  • Options
    Jeez, what a letdown
  • Options
    Really dissapointed with that! Bloomin' Germans!
  • Options
    Gutted for Cav. Can't believe we done all the hard work at Box Hill and let a breakaway go.
  • Options
    The Germans cost their man a medal with that display.

Good news for Wiggo for the time trial with Fabio crashing out
  • Options
    Commentators summed it up for me from the start....was almost as though they were saying the medal(s) was ours ..

Far too cocky & complacent IMHO.

Move on now though - apparently our gymnasts have had a great start to their campaign.
  • Options
    Poor coverage by the BBC.....even the commentators were "frustrated with the info".....still fairplay to the Kazakstani....good to see an 'old' un win.
  • Options

Very unfair. The British team worked very hard.

We had the best sprinter, the best team, but sometimes these things don't work out.
  • Options
    A shame - GB did the hard work but there were always going to be attacks and none of the other teams did anything to help drag them back. The Germans only sent one man forward and that wasn't enough. In trying to make sure Cavendish didn't win they cost their guy a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Poor coverage by the BBC.....even the commentators were "frustrated with the info".....still fairplay to the Kazakstani....good to see an 'old' un win.

I thought the lack of meaningful info was shocking, but it doesn't seem as though it was the BBC's fault (this time).
    tomfordyce ‏@tomfordyce
    For those asking, lack of gap time info on TV coverage nothing to do with BBC. We just take a feed from Olympic Broadcast Services

• Options

Commentators summed it up for me from the start....was almost as though they were saying the medal(s) was ours ..

Move on now though - apparently our gymnasts have had a great start to their campaign.

If anyone was too 'cocky & complacent' it was the british media not the team
  • Options

Very unfair. The British team worked very hard.

We had the best sprinter, the best team, but sometimes these things don't work out.
    Agreed. Fantastic effort from Team GB if I was Griepel, Goss, Farrar, Sagan Etc i would be furious that their teams did nothing to help out!
  • Options
    Don't get this stuff at all

I turned it on and we were in the third pack

The gap was too big all this we done the hard work nonsense

The ones that done the hardest work won

Why ain't they blaming the Germans

Poor performance IMO from the whole lot of the gb team
  • Options
    Appeared that certain teams were more concerned with not wanting Cav to win than they were with giving their bloke a chance to win. Very odd.

Could argue that they shouldn't have left the group to go but that happens all the time and they would (rightly) have expected other teams to do some work to reel them back.
    No way was it cocky and complacent. No team of 5 riders can do all the work for 250k's, no matter how strong they are. A regular team has 9 riders and the races are shorter than this one.

Just hope now that Brad recovers fully for Wednesday.
  • Options

I thought the lack of meaningful info was shocking, but it doesn't seem as though it was the BBC's fault (this time).
    tomfordyce ‏@tomfordyce
    For those asking, lack of gap time info on TV coverage nothing to do with BBC. We just take a feed from Olympic Broadcast Services
    Fair enough then.

• Options

Britain's chance of winning was to getMark Cavendish almost to the finish with a few metres to go, unfortunately what makes a great sprint cyclist is bulk and power while the other guys in the team do the graft. Every other team knew that we had the World Champion and the way we won the World Championship last season was to do exactly the above, lead the guy out and let him seal the deal. So it was inevitable that there would be attacks and that other teams would try and draw the sting out of Mark Cavendish's finish by making him put a lot of work in ahead of the finish and if possible leave him behind. With a five man team you can't counter and close down every attack.

• Options

In essence, some people worked hard to breakaway, some people worked hard in the lead group once the breakaway was established and some people worked hard to keep the main group nearby. In the lead group the work was shared among the group but in the main group GB had to do most if not all of the work.

• Options
    we were way too complacent on the final ascent when the attackers all streamed ahead to catch the lead group we needed to react. The fact that we never closed the gap much below a minute says it all, there was too many in the lead pack in the final 30km and therefore the work was shared out evenly, so they could keep up a great pace. If we went with the attackers and stuck with it, Cav and the team would have been about 5 seconds behind with 5km to go
  • Options
    No help from others or not, a team of 4-5 including Wiggins and Froome all working for one guy should have made a more concerted effort to reel in the lead group with an hour to go.