Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Countdown / Opening Ceremony thread

Comments

• Options
    be interesting to read some criticism from people who didn't appreciate it.
    Here's one person:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19025518
  • Options
    Like some others who have already posted, I was lucky enough to go to the rehearsal on Monday.

Have never been a fan of the ceremonies, but it really changed my perspective.

Having seen it 'live', I think some of the industrial revolution section didn't have the full impact on the TV last night simply because there was so much going on at the same time - performers coming into the stadium from all directions and the set being changed bit by bit etc.

Thought it was all brilliant though - very British and a great start to the Games.
  • Options
    one last credit has to go Underworld for putting together the soundtrack for the ceremony, including producing 3 new tracks (the whole 17 minutes for Pandemonium at the start) saw great, some real bangers in there from the likes of the F**k Buttons, and picking the best of British.

Hats off to Karl Hyde, Rick Smith and Darren Price
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Just for you AFKA, meet Leryn Franco
    I think the women's javelin event may get a few extra viewers

Phwoar! Nice panties ;-)

• Options
    Wow.

It was obvious we couldn't match others in terms of numbers (we do live in a democracy after all!) but what we can do better than anyone else is history, quirkiness, innovation and above all have the best sense of humour going. We certainly showed that in spades.

I couldn't see anyone else in the world pulling a ceremony off like that....poor old Brazil :-)
  • Options
    Ermm....Stone, those kind of raunchy comments are best suited for 'Activity' don't you think.....Lol.
  • Options

It was obvious we couldn't match others in terms of numbers (we do live in a democracy after all!) but what we can do better than anyone else is history, quirkiness, innovation and above all have the best sense of humour going. We certainly showed that in spades.

Agree with this, also having the Royal Family to attend gives this type a thing a certain pomp that no other country can match!
  • Options
    Amazing show, as an expat made me so proud to be British.
    I hope most nations appreciate it. The yanks being dumb as pig sh$$ just don't get it at all.

Check out espn comments section to see what I mean.

• Options
    Didn't try to match Beijing on its own terms and instead went for something that IMHO could only have been done by the British. History, Pomp. Humour, Culture, diversity and it worked unbelievably well.
  • Options

Was very good, I thought. Full marks for the NHS stuff - especially for you, Uncle Sam.

I wonder what Mitt Romney thought of the NHS being celebrated like that?

On the whole I thought it was great - I was half-expecting something typically British - all beefeaters, pomp and circumstance and agallop through our history, instead we got something that concentrated on the history of Britishness. A shame Macca sounded past it at the end but the whole thing was wonderfully British with a hint of subversiveness thrown in for good measure.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I hope most nations appreciate it. The yanks being dumb as pig sh$$ just don't get it at all.

Some crackers there. This one I love, especially his name.... triple cheeseburger: This opening ceremony made me never want to visit England.

http://espn.go.com/oly/conversations/_/id/8206596/2012-summer-olympics-opening-ceremony-concludes-seven-young-british-athletes-light-flame

• Options
    I think that just about sums up how I feel about being a Londoner, English and yes British and this morning I've never felt prouder to be all three. In this world where everything starts to look the same that was a lovely quirky beginning to what I hope will be a great couple of weeks. And it seems to have wound up the right people as well.
  • Options
    Looking at the channels.
    London this morning is looking great.
    Horse Guards, lovely greenery and buildings....and the players too.
    The cycling through London everything looks lovely.
    Archery and the Lords Pavilion behind it looks great.
    The Americans can say what they like...they are a big country, fantastic places, and in a country that size some fantastic people, but my goodness do some of them struggle with graciousness.
    Britain is diverse, basically decent, and it is great to live in such a city as London, especially on mornings like these.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    P.S.
    For some reason when ever I play online chess the worst losers by far are the Americans. When you get on top in a game they will sit on it and let the time dribble away rather than resign with decent good grace...no other nationalities in my experience do this.
  • Options
    Wonderful stuff. Would have been better with the Stones (London band) replacing Macca and Mohamed Ali left at home in the USA.
  • Options
    Mohammed Ali was a very sad part of the ceremony as far as I am concerned. Was shocked by the great mans condition.
  • Options
    Absolutely brilliant show. Well done to everyone involved.

Highlights for me: The Tor, The Chimneys, The River of Steel and the forging of the rings, the drummers, Mr Bean, Bex' Boat, the pogoing dancers, the deaf drummer lady (don't know her name), those lighting boxes in the crowd, the incredible self-assembly crucible, Eclipse as the penultimate song.

Songs I never imagined being played in front of The Queen: Firestarter, Born Slippy, Pass Out, Pretty Vacant, God Save The Queen.

Very minor disappointments: Her Maj not smiling, ending with a song about a divorce.

• Options
    Stone said:

Some crackers there. This one I love, especially his name.... triple cheeseburger: This opening ceremony made me never want to visit England.

http://espn.go.com/oly/conversations/_/id/8206596/2012-summer-olympics-opening-ceremony-concludes-seven-young-british-athletes-light-flame

I think your average American is basically an overgrown toddler. They need bright lights and loud noises to keep them interested.
  • Options

Wonderful stuff. Would have been better with the Stones (London band) replacing Macca and Mohamed Ali left at home in the USA.

Spot on there thought McCartney playing was a poor ending to a great ceremony....should have been left to Dartford's finest.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Mohammed Ali was a very sad part of the ceremony as far as I am concerned. Was shocked by the great mans condition.

Yes I agree, but he's still very with it mentaly and although he doesn't look it, he's fully aware of what's going on around him. He was adamant that he wanted to come to the ceremony....and bless him for that....he'll be a showman to the bitter end.
    Maccas voice has shot to bit's.....sadly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes I agree, but he's still very with it mentaly and although he doen't look it he's fully aware of what's going on around him. He was adamant that he wanted to come to the ceremony....and bless him for that....he'll be a showman to the bitter end.

Agree with you there....not like our Mick's.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Yes I agree, but he's still very with it mentaly and although he doen't look it he's fully aware of what's going on around him. He was adamant that he wanted to come to the ceremony....and bless him for that....he'll be a showman to the bitter end.

It was certainly very sad to see him in that state. For me the deciding factor should be whether he wanted to be there or not. If he was their because it was his own choice and he thought he'd enjoy it, then as (one of?) the greatest Olympians ever, I think he has every right to be there and he shouldn't be hidden away to save others' feelings. If however, he felt that it was a chore and that he was only there out of sense of duty, that would be completely wrong.
  • Options
    As I understand it he was asked and chose to be there, whether he knew what he was giving his consent to who only he knows. The lights were on but there was no one at home.

• Options
    Thought the whole ceremony was fantastic, all that drivel beforehand about that it will be a damp squib compared to Beijing was utter trite. Last night's ceremony had wit, humour, gravitas and epic theatre. Each set was beautifully choreographed; we didn't get 5,000 automatons thumping drums in unison instead the pieces were far more considered. For one night the West End came to the East End.

Only let down for me was the 'Queen' jumping out of the helicopter, thought it lacked class. I'm usually pretty comfortable with the Royal Family being parodied, but on an occasion like this, in front of billions around the world, it was a bit too much. No wonder she looked grumpy all night.
  • Options
    Glad to hear the Mohammed Ali is still mentally sharp in which case I'm rather glad to see him there.
  • Options

As I understand it he was asked and chose to be there, whether he knew what he was giving his consent to who only he knows. The lights were on but there was no one at home.

BFR....what you saw was his 'outer shell' as a result of Parkinsons of course....he knows what's going on alright but has lost much of his ability to communicate and sadly has no facial expressions left....very sad of course.
    Can't believe for one moment that he was coerced into attending against his wishes.

• Options

It was certainly very sad to see him in that state.

Yes i have to agree it's time Paul McCartney finally threw in the towel.
  • Options
    As an event it worked very well, I thought it was going to be a bit naff at the start, but the industrial revolution section was spectacular, and a bold move.
    Brave to feature the NHS as well. Some of the references were quite subtle, and although the tunes of Oldfield were suitable, a bit dated for the majority of the audience, GB's impact on music has been immense, and great to see Tim Berners Smith, reminding the world that we still produce world class discoveries.
    Would love to have seen Fredddie Mercury singing we are the champions instead of McCartney, and could have weaved that in with the general theme of the music in a virtual appearance. The kids stole the show, great to see so many talented kids, and so fitting that they should light the flame at the end. Well done danny boy, and the people for doing this
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I thought it was fantastic! Quirky, modern, historical, and spectacular. Arise Sir Danny Boyle.

Sad that one Tory MP tw@t should have graced twitter with the following

@AidanBurleyMP "..."Thank God the athletes have arrived! Now we can move on from leftie multi-cultural crap. Bring back red arrows, Shakespeare and the Stones!"..."

This is the same p*ick who had to apologise for wearing a Nazi uniform at a party a while back.
  • Options
    If that racist Diane Abbott can get away with her 'white people love to play divide and rule" tweet Mr.Burley should be fine