Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Countdown / Opening Ceremony thread

Comments

• Valley11 said:

Utterly brilliant. Also thought the music and Beckham cruising down the Thames was great. Flash swine. I wonder what they cut out then?

Bmx stunts
  • Valley11 said:

Utterly brilliant. Also thought the music and Beckham cruising down the Thames was great. Flash swine. I wonder what they cut out then?

Bmx stunts
    Cunning.
  • Better the Beijing, that's all that needs to be said, and the cauldron, amazing, the whole concept of passing on the flame and inspiring a generation was so great
  • Rothko said:

Better the Beijing, that's all that needs to be said, and the cauldron, amazing, the whole concept of passing on the flame and inspiring a generation was so great

I bet the bookies were pleased.
  • I nearly cried, boooootiful.

Very proud............................
  • A very good show..well directed and everything went smoothly which was the key.

Interesting idea for how to light the flame.

Get the young and "old" (as in ex-athletes) involved does live up to the legacy tag.

What is this chap up to though!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/opening-ceremony-shock-as-fan-accidentally-1176295
  • Was very good, I thought. Full marks for the NHS stuff - especially for you, Uncle Sam.
  • edited July 2012
    Had an enjoyable night at the concert. London in traffic chaos though. We still don't know if we will make it home tonight. Might be sleeping on floor of dartford train station. Still we can add this to the look back and laugh memory bank.
  • fan bloody tastic
    The rest of the world has had a lesson in being British
  • A brilliant night, well done London, looking forward to the start tomorrow...proud of my capital city tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Really lovely evening. Very proud to be British. Good luck Team GB!
  • Concert was great. On way home, draped in Union flag and proud to be British
  • Was fully expecting to be underwhelmed but thought it was fantastic if you edit out the olympians parade (which seemed 8 hrs long). I noticed the old guy that seemed to do a nazi salute as Germany went past. Funny how the commentators didn't mention him.

Did anyone notice Ashley Coles twin brother in Mozambique? Absolute dead ringer (apart from his phone was in his hand, not in his back pocket). The torch at the end was amazing.
  • I got a tear in my at the start when Jerusalem started... then really had dust in my eyes when the youngsters sang and signed the whole national anthem. Two shining moments out of a great spectacle.

Mccartneys voice has gone tho.

Right must get to bed as I've to be on Woolwich common in the morning for the shooting! The glamour.
  • edited July 2012
    i thought that rogge bloke said some right good things about us as a nation... giving sport to the world with its rules, sportsmanship ect... and saying it felt like the olympics was coming home, london being a great city and knowing how to put on a show, bla bla... nice words, and if that lot and the next few weeks dont put an extra beat in ya heart then i pity you, ha!

UP THE LONDON!
    UP THE TEAM GB!
    UP THE COUNTRY!
    UP THE FEELING OF PROUD!

(we done it our way)
  • Thought it was really really good.
    Highlights: The cauldron, the popular culture bit (until Dizzee Rascal came on, it had a sweet playlist before that), Voldemort appearing, and the nod of the head to the inventor of the internet which i thought was really good considering how much its affected things.
    Disappointments: The whole texting stuff was weird, didn't fancy that myself, Dizzee Rascal as said before. A couple of those pre-live show videos like the very first one going up the Thames was pretty poor. Also, I wanted a Lord Of The Rings/Tolkien reference, but thats just because I love his writings and stuff, although thought they could've put something in considering Harry Potter got 2 mentions, with Voldy and JK reading.

But that's all nit-picking great show very happy :)
  • Thought it was great meself, eye opening what we as a nation have achieved through the decades.

Well done to all involved!
  • I really loved the Industrial Revouktion section, just so well done
  • Was absolutely fantastic, better than Beijing.
  • Reading the comments on some American sites seemed the majority hated it, boring not enough fireworks/explosions etc

Perfect example of what is (thankfully) still a stark cultural divide if ever there was one.

We loved it, especially my London born daughter....
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done everyone involved, excellent.
  • Let the yanks go to Disneyland. No country in the world could top that. To nitpick. Woud love to see Madge smile more. Did not like seeing Ali in such a state. NO to Paul Mcartney. Why were the yanks wearing Boys Brigade outfits? Arise Sir Danny Boyle.
  • edited July 2012
    Absolutely brilliant.

Very proud to be a Londoner, English, British.

PS Thought the Arctic Monkeys were very good.
  • Never really watched an opening ceremony before , just thought they had a small bit of entertainment and then the athletes parading round before the flame bit but clearly not !
    It was a major show put on and the work and cost that went into it must have been incredible, fairplay to all involved it was spectacular
    Sharapova was a bit too covered up for my liking but she's reeeem all the same
    I saw the ashley cole mozambique look alike and fairplay to S.A for having that lady as their flag bearer
    Thought some of the canadian crumpet looked good as well
    Wtf were our athletes wearing , vile
    And fairplay to the french competitors waving union jacks as they paraded around the track
    I love becks he's just a cool chap
    And redgrave is a gent too
    Wondered what all that chuff was each nation was carrying around and was amazing as the flame grew together in the end
    So glad all that's over with, not my cup of tea , I now wanna watch as much as possible of all sorts of chuff sports I'd never watch outside olympic time,just like I did in 1984 when I think I watched as much as was humanly possible after each episode of 'V' what a series that was !
  • Nice to see Beckham making use of his Speedboat that he won on Bullseye.

Boris, Charles and Camila in fits of laughter at the German old boys dodgy wave.
  • shirty5 said:

Nice to see Beckham making use of his Speedboat that he won on Bullseye.

I thought he only got his BFH.
  • Anyone know what happen to the Cauldron now? I mean, it's usually on top of the stadium or built into the stand on the side, they can't just leave it in the middle of the stadium
  • Moving to the location of the bell at the end of the stadium, the design can't be moved to roof
  • Ah OK, that makes sense, wouldn't of thought they would have forgotten there's some athletics going on after the song and dance!

Hope British Gas is paying for it

;-)
  • Well I hoped it would be good....I hoped it would show the world about the UK...but sadly it wasn't good.....it was just pure brilliant.....I've never been so proud to be British, English and a Londoner.....well done Danny Boyle, well done the volunteer cast of thousands......what a show.....and in my opinion it blew Beijing out of the water.....now for a few Gold Medals and a great 2 weeks of sport..............BRING IT ON!!!!

NB Anything to say now Mr Romney?????????????