Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics: Football

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012

Sepp Blatter roundly booed by what seemed the whole stadium as he was announced as the presenter of the medals for the Women's Football.

And you could tell he didn't like it either.

Think on the Blatter, as you stand within a fantastic Wembley stadium and see the UK put on an incredible Olympic games as you try and sort our the issues of a World Cup in Russia, let alone Qatar.

Russia and Qatar...that will be interesting.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_world_cup
  • Options
    I put some US visitors on to the tickets that were released on Wednesday. They had a great night and one just said to me that it was probably the best stadium he had ever been in.

• Options

Sepp Blatter roundly booed by what seemed the whole stadium as he was announced as the presenter of the medals for the Women's Football.

And you could tell he didn't like it either.

Think on the Blatter, as you stand within a fantastic Wembley stadium and see the UK put on an incredible Olympic games as you try and sort our the issues of a World Cup in Russia, let alone Qatar.

I know Blatter is far from innocent - in fact most of his comments make me cringe, but I do wonder about the English hatred of him. He's taken the World Cup (successfully) to Asia and Africa. Soon it will head back to Brasil and then to Eastern Europe and Arabia. Before every tournament not being held in western europe the run up seems to be a series of unfounded dire warnings about how it's all going to go wrong. Sponsorship has soared, funding is going to hundreds of great projects worldwide (and probably a few back pockets). The woman's game has gained a higher status. Is this better than the days were Rous and the boys shuffled the tournament around a happy old guard and had a number of questionable policies: their attitude to aparthied (which ultimately cost them their position at the top table) springs to mind.
  • Options

I know Blatter is far from innocent - in fact most of his comments make me cringe, but I do wonder about the English hatred of him. He's taken the World Cup (successfully) to Asia and Africa. Soon it will head back to Brasil and then to Eastern Europe and Arabia. Before every tournament not being held in western europe the run up seems to be a series of unfounded dire warnings about how it's all going to go wrong. Sponsorship has soared, funding is going to hundreds of great projects worldwide (and probably a few back pockets). The woman's game has gained a higher status. Is this better than the days were Rous and the boys shuffled the tournament around a happy old guard and had a number of questionable policies: their attitude to aparthied (which ultimately cost them their position at the top table) springs to mind.
    Qatar is questionable but what on earth is the problem with a WC in Russia? A proper football country that has never held the tournament and is in need of the investment that a WC would bring. Yes, they have a problem with racism. It was Euro 96 that finally reclaimed the cross of St George from the far right...
  • Options
    Great start for Mexico
  • Options
    Nug said:

Great start for Mexico

Gave my ticket to a good friend - a Brazilian (on the grounds he will get me a ticket if GB/England make it to the final at the Maracana in 2016!) who is a long taxi ride away from being happy right now..

• Options
    Enjoyed the win for Mexico and seeing new Wembley for the first time was fantastic. What a great stadium! Unfortunately our view wasn't the best as we were only four rows back from the front and mid way between the edge of the penalty box and goal - the goal which saw such a brilliant first goal for Mexico. We were also unable to hear the stadium announcements as we were hearing it from all around and at slightly different times which just made for an unintelligible noise.

I think the atmosphere would have been better had GB been playing but was enjoyable anyway. Seeing all the happy Mexicans leaving the stadium after the match was wonderful.

One gripe though -we were told that we couldn't take liquids into the stadium, so go rid of our plastic coke bottles before entering. We then found that you can actually take in empty bottles (with lids) and fill them up inside the stadium as they provide drinking water. Yet when I went to buy a couple of bottles of coke, they refused to sell them with tops on as it was 'stadium rules'. Although I know it is to stop idiots throwing full bottles onto the pitch it does seem a bit ridiculous when you can take in empty bottles with lids.

• Options
    Pleased for Mexico...always had a soft spot for them...probably the best country I have been to.
  • Options
    I think Brazil thought they would walk it and were surprised at how well the Mexicans played. I felt that there was a bit of arrogance about Brazil which I didn't like and that is what finally swayed me towards supporting Mexico.