Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics: Football

Comments

• Options

and our shyte footballers show how to lose again and on pens as well, the most paid of our sportsman and the most useless

Dunno bout that...the swimmers did pretty shit
    Yeah but the swimmers would still beat them in a penalty shootout

Don't think the swimmers are on £0000's a week either.
  • Options
    South Koreas pens were bang on.

Them stutter penalties do my nut in. Just run up properly you bell.
  • Options

and our shyte footballers show how to lose again and on pens as well, the most paid of our sportsman and the most useless

7 golds were predicted!

• Options
    Can't stand Daniel Sturridge. Hugely arrogant despite the fact he can't do the simple things well. He had a good start to last season but he's a selfish show-pony and he's cost us tonight. I don't just mean the pen - though that summed him up pretty well. He didn't ever play the simple ball instead shooting whenever he got near the goal - one shot went out for a throw. He even took our free-kick in a good position at the end and gently dinked it out of play. At least next time he publicly moans about how he should be leading the line for Chelsea they can point to his Olympic performance and laugh and laugh and laugh and...
  • Options
    Football just doesn't belong at the Olympics.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

7 golds were predicted!

Adlington's comment was classic "I did my best" , er no you didn't you hold the world record and were well down on that
  • Options

Football just doesn't belong at the Olympics.

Agree with this. Just feels like its there to bump up attendance numbers. Doesn't feel part of the games at all.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

PL54 said:

7 golds were predicted!

Adlington's comment was classic "I did my best" , er no you didn't you hold the world record and were well down on that
    Have to say, I was a bit disappointed with the attitude from some of our swimmers. "I did my best" seemed to be a common line, even though they were getting nowhere near their PB's.

Still, just as well we haven't done that well in the swimming, otherwise the Aussies would be feeling even more butt-f**ked by now!
  • Options
    Sturridge over rated waste of space no pride or passion
  • Options
    The swimming has been seriously competitive - it's easy to slag off Rebecca Adlington but she got two of the three medals we did win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who's slagging her off BFR?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Who's slagging her off BFR?

Truth is she did her best, but the others were better.

• Options

Sturridge over rated waste of space no pride or passion

So he missed a penalty - that means he has no pride or passion?

Let's say Chris Solly had made it into the Team GB squad, as he had a chance of doing - would he be deemed an overpaid, passionless loser like you lot are panning the rest of them with?

• Options
    Nothing to with penalty to many players looked as if they thought they were to good to be there!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thought the Welsh players (particuarly Bellamy) looked far more enthusiastic over the course of the tournament - no one covered themselves in glory tonight though.
  • Options
    Did anyone actually watch the whole game from start to finish?

Need yer head read if you did!
  • Options

Did anyone actually watch the whole game from start to finish?

Need yer head read if you did!

Have only ever watched bits of any of the games. With everything else going on this evening I had no interest in the football whatsoever. Far more important and interesting things going on involving sports people who deserve to be taking part in an Olympics.
  • Options
    I am in the football shouldnt be in it category same as tennis and golf at the next one

It should be for the non mainstream sports imo

If football is in it why not rugby and cricket

• Options

I am in the football shouldnt be in it category same as tennis and golf at the next one

It should be for the non mainstream sports imo

If football is in it why not rugby and cricket

Lose the non main stream sports? Bang goes Athletics, Swimming, Basletball, Boxing

• Options
    Sturridge is one of them bells who after scoring sometimes gives it the big I am pointing to his name on the back of his shirt that really winds me up for some reason
    Am as big a footy fan as anyone but just not bothered/into olympic footy , seems a bit fake , a friend likened the atmosphere to one of those football aid matches and I thought that was about right
    I mean with jessica, mo and the ginge fella doing their stuff in the Olympic stadium I'd have felt robbed if I'd missed out on watching that
    And Stuart Pearce can now find himself a cosey studio job if he's lucky or is he u-21 manager
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sturridge is one of them bells who after scoring sometimes gives it the big I am pointing to his name on the back of his shirt that really winds me up for some reason

Ashley Young does that as well. Drives me mental

• Options
    Before the last game I saw an interview with Pearce who was asked how the tournamount had gone and his comment was something along the lines of

"expected to get out of the group, not nec win the group. I just hope the players look at this as being the best pre season they have ever had".

Sums up why footy should not be in the Olympics for me - "pre Season" compared to the rowers reaction when they get silver etc.
  • Options

South Koreas pens were bang on.

Them stutter penalties do my nut in. Just run up properly you bell.

Totally agree. Hate it when players break their penalty run up. Just smash it like all the South Koreans did!
  • Options
    Ramsey's penalty miss was equally as significant - as was the Korean's goal, which should have been saved easily by Butland, but went through/over his hands. Harsh to lay blame on one single player for the miss in the penalty shoot out, even though I don't particularly like Sturridge.
  • Options
    We are a tactically and technically inferior footballing nation
  • Options
    Another who feels that football should never be in the olympics, and hadn't watched a second of the matches on tv, buy had tickets for Wembley yesterday.

Was gutted beforehand that it wasn't GB, but on reflection I'm really glad it wasn't. It was nice to enjoy New Wembley for the first time, and simply watch a game as a neutral. The game was good, six goals and the pockets of meh he cans provided good entertainment.

Was a good day, and Club Wembley was very impressive.
  • Options
    The boxing is Amateur and should be In and the format is totally different for the Olympics

Swimming is not mainstream at all it is a secondary sport in most countries if not all

Athletics is the same as above

Basketball in most countries bar the USA is a minor sport although I believe it has a very high participation in the uk which makes me wonder why we look so poor in the contest and I also believe this is a sport that needs to be replaced but i understand why it's in

Football
    Tennis
    Golf

Have major televised tournaments that take precedent 12 months a year and huge sponsorship deals for those participating in it for them to then go to the Olympics doesn't sit well with me
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I think it's interesting that pretty much every athlete/team (except maybe the swimming, although Ian Thorpe was of the opinion we still performed well in a very, very competitive field) has been able to raise their game on the back of home support despite the expectation and pressure but the football team still manage to screw it up in disappointing fashion. I think the last couple of weeks has shown that the England team can cross the 'the press and fans put too much pressure on us' excuse off their list of excuses for continual failure at major tournaments.

Team GB have shown producing winning athletes is not rocket science - invest in facilities to improve participation and invest in coaching to improve the skills of those taking part and you'll win stuff. We do have the talent and we do have the mentality when we don't allow ourselves to make limp excuses.
  • Options
    I would suggest that it is the coaching of football that would result in greatly improved performances.
    As discussed on the euro's thread, we are pitifully short of qualified football coaches. I'd hazard a guess we are pretty well off for cycling and rowing coaches.
  • Options

I would suggest that it is the coaching of football that would result in greatly improved performances.
    As discussed on the euro's thread, we are pitifully short of qualified football coaches. I'd hazard a guess we are pretty well off for cycling and rowing coaches.

That's exactly what I was alluding to Floyd, over the years there's always been some excuse of another - Argentina cheated, Ronaldo winked, the manager isn't English, we're just no good at penalties, Sol's goal should have stood, etc, etc, when the true fundamental problem has been lack of talent (or at least talent in depth brought about by the wrong things being coached and the wrong abilities favoured over others) and lack of tactical understanding. There are other factors, but for me it's always been those 2 that are at the heart of the problem and have never been properly addressed.

To be fair, the Academy structure is being revamped and the new Centre in Burton is finally open so the FA at least trying to do something - I don't agree with it all, but it is at least happening which is a vast improvement on 10 years ago. Lets hope we see some fruit starting to ripen in 5 to 10 years time.