Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympics: Football

Comments

• Morroco vs Honduras highlights worth a look at the 2 goals Morroco scored... Click the tabs at the bottom of the player for the Goals.

BBC Highlights
  • Watched the Honduras game just now on NBC in America.....great game with players taking a dislike to each other on a number of occasions. Not really in the Olympic spirit but good fun all the less!
  • Rothko said:

Ended up watching the Brazil v Cameroon game on one of the BBC Olympics channels last night, and the Brazilians were excellent, really good movement, skill and finishing. The game at Wembley on Tuesday looks like it could be a bit of a cracker.

was that via the red button or have they got other specific Olympic channels (on sky)

Sky channel 451
  • Spain losing 1-0 to Japan at the moment
  • Rothko said:

Spain losing 1-0 to Japan at the moment

That's what happens when you don't take it seriously. ;-)
  • Japan win!!!
  • Japan win 1-0 and missed 6/7ish sitters too. Blimey.
  • One of the most surprising results ever
  • at 9/2 Senegal must be a decent bet ?
  • shine166 said:

at 9/2 Senegal must be a decent bet ?

I hope not . I've put yesterday's winnings on Team GB - 1.75 on Betfair this morning.

• Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

at 9/2 Senegal must be a decent bet ?

I hope not . I've put yesterday's winnings on Team GB - 1.75 on Betfair this morning.

I can see us losing every game. Although now ive said that we will probably top the group with 9 pts !

• Tickets still available for quarter-finals.
    Just this second booked Old Trafford Mens QF.
    Bizarrely Japan vs Morocco is sold out!!
    32,000 Japanese/Morroccan aficionados??

A couple of thousand Japanese at The Ricoh last night for the womens football - most seem to have flown over for 4 days - I cant see how the UK economy is not going to benefit from this Olympic Games
  • Nice how (captain) Giggs refused to sing the National Anthem.

He was happy enough to accept the OBE.
  • PL54 said:

Nice how (captain) Giggs refused to sing the National Anthem.

He was the same with the friendly against Brazil .
  • PL54 said:

Nice how (captain) Giggs refused to sing the National Anthem.

So what? - does that make him less of a person?
    Does it mean he is less passionate about our country.
    I missed the rule that said every competitor has to sing the national anthem.

I suppose you think Daley Thompson should be stripped of his two gold medals and kicked out of the country then.

• Only the English players sang the anthem (according to the BBC this morning). It seems that the national anthem is just for the English these days.
  • when the main talking point is players not singing the anthem, it says a lot about the standard of the actual game.
  • edited July 2012
    Saga Lout said:

Only the English players sang the anthem (according to the BBC this morning). It seems that the national anthem is just for the English these days.

Going by the comments of "traitor" by Welsh fans towards Giggs on various forums he is probably thinking was this all worth the hassle now as the guy is getting stick from both sides..

Ofcourse is he wasn't a footballer it probably wouldn't even be reported (I presume a medal ceremony doesn't count as Wiggins didn't sing the anthem last week after the Tour de France)
  • Saga Lout said:

Only the English players sang the anthem (according to the BBC this morning). It seems that the national anthem is just for the English these days.

I did not see any evidence of that in the Euros, hardly any of them sang it, unlike the French, Spanish & Italians.
  • edited July 2012

Saga Lout said:

I did not see any evidence of that in the Euros, hardly any of them sang it, unlike the French, Spanish & Italians.
    Most of the England players defo sang the anthem during the Euros.

Plus im pretty sure Spain doesnt have any words in their anthem lol
  • Sponsored links:

• when the main talking point is players not singing the anthem, it says a lot about the standard of the actual game.

Thought it was a decent game, in fact all the games I saw yesterday were more enjoyable than a lot of recent World Cup group games.
  • GB were poor --lucky to get out of the group
  • Good luck tonight Team GB. Need you to get to the final as I've got tickets!!!
  • Is the football on BBC 1?
  • Disgraceful disrespect by the Welsh players for the National Anthem. Giggs you should be ashamed of yourself - it wouldn't hurt you to sing the British National Anthem, probably too thick to know the words though.
  • You know, what - I don't think it's that bad the non-English not singing GSTQ. The song is predominantly associated with England (Football Team) so I think it's totally understandable.

I'd much prefer England to have it's own anthem (Jerusalem etc.) to be honest rather than worry about Scots/Welsh not singing GSTQ.
  • WSS said:

You know, what - I don't think it's that bad the non-English not singing GSTQ. The song is predominantly associated with England (Football Team) so I think it's totally understandable.

I'd much prefer England to have it's own anthem (Jerusalem etc.) to be honest rather than worry about Scots/Welsh not singing GSTQ.

I've always thought it was a bit crazy to have GSTQ as both the English and GB anthems.
  • One nil- Giggs with a header
  • edited July 2012
    God Save the Queen is the national anthem for the UK/GB.

The UK/GB these days is basically England with a few hangers on, so in that context it's not crazy at all that the same anthem is used.
  • Just watched a great second half from Japan - 1-0 win over a decent Morocco team.

Spain incredibly losing 0-1 to Honduras in the same group