Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Threads

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2012
    golf isnt in the olypics and the football is crap so i dont really care about the actual events. just think calling peoples journeys into work 'precious journey' is a bit harsh.
  • Options
    Southeastern last night was a bit of a shambles purely because of a bit of nice weather.

God help them for the coming weeks. Let's hope it pisses down
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    double post
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

not quite the same as standing on a packed train, with no aircon and a load of smelly bastards

and i wouldnt even wanna imagine what the tubes gonna be like

You are kidding, you're moaning about trains that you dont even pay for?

Tube was a nightmare yesterdays Central line, the morning was closed but that was unfortunate as someone was under a train sadly but the evening was line failure.

Still as Algarve has said its only for a couple of weeks. I was not and have not been in favour of the Olympics in London but its here we've got it, so we all need to embrace it ... the period of the Oly's and Paras are too long for us to stay miserable all the time
  • Options

golf isnt in the olypics and the football is crap so i dont really care about the actual events. just think calling peoples journeys into work 'precious journey' is a bit harsh.

If you know the football is crap before a ball has been kicked, can you tell me tonight's lottery numbers please mate?

• Options
    edited July 2012

If you know the football is crap before a ball has been kicked, can you tell me tonight's lottery numbers please mate?

i watched the awful GB v Brazil game friday. And considering we Play UAE & Senegal, i cant imagine its gonna get a lot better.

Gabon v Switzerland has the makings of a cracker tho
  • Options
    Okay, can you tell me the lottery numbers on the basis of previous draws then... ;-)
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Curb_It said:

not quite the same as standing on a packed train, with no aircon and a load of smelly bastards

Tube was a nightmare yesterdays Central line, the morning was closed but that was unfortunate as someone was under a train sadly but the evening was line failure.

Still as Algarve has said its only for a couple of weeks. I was not and have not been in favour of the Olympics in London but its here we've got it, so we all need to embrace it ... the period of the Oly's and Paras are too long for us to stay miserable all the time
    The cynic in me thinks it was a bit suspect the central line was down in the morning and the evening when they had a test event on at the stadium. Also nice and convenient they had a pre-recorded message lined up for telling people the central line was down as people were leaving the park.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    There's always synchronised swimming. I rate our chances this year. Reckon it will go right off up against the French though
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Kap10 said:

Curb_It said:

The cynic in me thinks it was a bit suspect the central line was down in the morning and the evening when they had a test event on at the stadium. Also nice and convenient they had a pre-recorded message lined up for telling people the central line was down as people were leaving the park.
    It's amazing what you can do with a computer in a station controllers office, just record one message and loop it, no nut case conspriacy here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

colthe3rd said:

Kap10 said:

Curb_It said:

It's amazing what you can do with a computer in a station controllers office, just record one message and loop it, no nut case conspriacy here.
    I'm talking about the announcements when leaving the stadium last night not at the station. They were pretty intent on getting people to walk to West Ham. All in all a good practice for them in case something does happen to the central line during the games and like I say quite convenient it happened last night while a test event was going on.
  • Options
    I went last night at other than a bit of a queue for food (although if you got the food in the stadium area it was fine) I felt the organisation was pretty good,well managed getting in and out despite transport issues. Staff/volunteers polite and a damn fine show.
  • Options
    My journey is going to be a nightmare but I dont care Im going to enjoy it all.

My one main concern are pubs being able to get deliverys in. I watched the news last night and glad to see Fullers pubs are getting their deliveries during the nights, I hope other pubs are doing so otherwise we could all go very thirsty.
  • Options
    So we have the greatest sporting event in our home city. And you still get people moaning for no apparant reason.

If you're telling me that you spend the other 49/50 weeks of the year travelling in and around London without being on a packed train, without delays and cancellations then you are a liar.

Embrace it you boring lot!
  • Options
    heads up for you drivers. The Zil lanes get "turned on" at 6AM on Wednesday in the Greenwich and Blackheath. First few days will be a nite mare on the heath.

Nice to see the lefties on here agreeing with Call Me Dave that we have to Grin and bare it for the olympics.

Looking forward to somme of it but totaly pissed off that this looking forward is blown away by the hassle if you live close to an event

• Options

No one could possibly disagree. Just watched the whole of that clip. Mesmerising!

You would think so. Pretty sure she was a 50/50 split on a would ya thread
  • Options
    GH, not content with starting your own thread on the transport issue you have to come into this one to spread your cheery views.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    colthe3rd said:

GH, not content with starting your own thread on the transport issue you have to come into this one to spread your cheery views.

I thought this was a forum where people were allowed to post their opinions.

GH disagrees with you. Live with it or argue your case.

• Options
    ive heard the us vs aus beach volleyball is scheduled for the evening which might impact the chosen sports gear for the participants, can anyone verify this?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

colthe3rd said:

I thought this was a forum where people were allowed to post their opinions.

GH disagrees with you. Live with it or argue your case.

But why start a thread on a topic then post practically the same thing in another thread?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whats the answer then.
  • Options
    Think some people will have a right to moan about transport - but only disabled commuters like my friend who is going to have a mare! Still, as any of us that suffer it all year round know, Southeastern cannot cope in anything other than general UK dreariness weather-wise, so we should all be used to be stuck on packed trains full of smelly people :-)

I'm really looking forward to the games, despite not getting any tickets. Even more excited about the opening ceremony after hearing good reports from those there last night. And thank you all for not spoiling the surprise. I've been avoiding newspaper reports for ages!

Friend of a friend is looking after the Brazilian football team after volunteering ages ago and getting allocated that prime job due to speaking Portuguese and having a Brazilian wife - I've offered some 'hands on' assistance if he needs it, just waiting to hear back :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In 1948, just 3 years after a World War, we hosted the Olympics without either imprisoning ordinary Londoners in their own homes and banning visitors to the area or threatening them with draconian fines for having the temerity to exercise the human right of freedom of movement.

My late father was able to get tickets to watch most of the athletics as an ordinary working man in 1948 at an affordable price.

My sister will be imprisoned in her home because of the cycling in 2012.

Why, after more than 60 years of "progress," is this thing such a bloody shambles?
  • Options
    *bangs head repeatedly
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

In 1948, just 3 years after a World War, we hosted the Olympics without either impNrisoning ordinary Londoners in their own homes and banning visitors to the area or threatening them with draconian fines for having the temerity to exercise the human right of freedom of movement.

My late father was able to get tickets to watch most of the athletics as an ordinary working man in 1948 at an affordable price.

Why, after more than 60 years of "progress," is this thing such a bloody shambles?

Sorry Len but Nobody had cars back then so not an issue. Likewise we didn't get an influx of visitors from all over the world to watch the games like we have now. Not really fair to compare the two events I don't think.

• Options

LenGlover said:

In 1948, just 3 years after a World War, we hosted the Olympics without either impNrisoning ordinary Londoners in their own homes and banning visitors to the area or threatening them with draconian fines for having the temerity to exercise the human right of freedom of movement.

Sorry Len but Nobody had cars back then so not an issue. Likewise we didn't get an influx of visitors from all over the world to watch the games like we have now. Not really fair to compare the two events I don't think.

6 years of war didn't take its toll on the infrastructure of the country then?

I accept that the problems in 2012 are different to those of 1948 but they are no bigger and in 1948 were solved without sacrifice by the native population.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Cassette boy is at it again, good on him but then again its not hard to make that twat Boris look like a fool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDFMKjhLRw&feature=g-u-u
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

6 years of war didn't take its toll on the infrastructure of the country then?

I accept that the problems in 2012 are different to those of 1948 but they are no bigger and in 1948 were solved without sacrifice by the native population.
    Utterly bonkers
  • Options
    Lookin forward to parts of it 100M and Bolt, opening thingy, cycling and the boxing, of course Jessica.

Its the total bollx up round Kidbrooke that the piss take---the station is particially shut for the duration, the zil lanes along shootershill rd and blackheath will just grid lock and starting at 6 AM no chance of beating that by an early strt. tonite i notce signs up in Blackheath village that it will be closed sometime during the Olympic period (tranquil vale) if you know Blackheath than forget about buses and cars if that happens.

Its not for a couple of weeks. Theres the months of works and road closers just to reverse whats there now (new temp bridges and road markings for two) then there is the road works which will be done to catch up on this period when they cant work

All the above grief and i still want it to be the best ever and the peeps who go to have a great time
  • Options
    I agree with the earlier comments re: last night's rehearsal - some bits were stunning and one bit in particular was one of the best spectacles I have ever seen. I suspect there were some good bits left out from this particular rehearsal - one of the dancers on the DLR going home confirmed this but wouldn't let on further. Liked the warm up comedian too.

Danny Boyle is my new hero - shame they didn't let him organise getting to the Station afterwards.