Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Line of Duty

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Completely overlooked this up to now but thought I'd give it a go tonight after listening to an interview with the creator, who also did Bodyguard apparently. But noting what people say there about viewing earlier series first. Trouble is, that's a lot of telly for me to get through. 

What if I record tonight and watch series 4 first?
    Each series relies on characters that re-appear from the previous (or earlier) series.  It's *really* worth starting from the first series.  
    I just don't know how people manage this binge-watching malarky. I mean, it's not as if I'm working 12 hour days or managing a house full of kids, but it takes me several weeks just to get through series that I record off the TV. I suppose if I spent less time on CL....

• Within each series there are a number of references and mentions of the past series.
    while not absolutely crucial to the plot, I’d say you were missing something by not knowing.
    plus, if you have any intentions of going back and watching then you’re also watching spoliers of old plots.
  • Well a great start to series 5 and we did "pause" a couple of times for a team chat! I love that it gets you talking about who you trust and don't. I love that almost every senior officer's surname begins with H. Both me and my eldest son called this weeks twist. 
  • I started with S3, so was shocked by the revelation of who the Caddy was, as I hadn't seen all the bits in S1 and 2 that gave it away. So you can watch it without having seen the earlier series, but it's better if you have I think, as there's lots of little details that add to your understanding of what's going on.

Like in tonight's episode, in the interview with Maneet they refer back to her dealings with AC Hilton, and how she stitched up Jamie Desford with a ruse to get his password to the IT system. (Although personally I think that was his own fault for being gormless enough to fall for it in the first place, as any half decent IT system lets the admins reset your password without knowing what it is themselves). Anyone who had seen series 4 would have remembered that, so as soon as the young WPC queried why she hadn't flagged up the background check you could guess she was going to end up on a disciplinary, but if you hadn't the interview laid out the background that you missed.
    And was the pier at the end of the episode the same place that Hilton was found, or was that just a coincidence?

• Completely overlooked this up to now but thought I'd give it a go tonight after listening to an interview with the creator, who also did Bodyguard apparently. But noting what people say there about viewing earlier series first. Trouble is, that's a lot of telly for me to get through. 

What if I record tonight and watch series 4 first?
    You don't have to, but I'd watch all 4 series.
    I watched them all again in the last couple of weeks.
    Brilliant drama.
  • Riviera said:
    Well a great start to series 5 and we did "pause" a couple of times for a team chat! I love that it gets you talking about who you trust and don't. I love that almost every senior officer's surname begins with H. Both me and my eldest son called this weeks twist. 
    Think there was a clue to it in the trailer, which was unfortunate. Called it straight away as a result. Good though.
  • edited April 2019
    Wish it had come back last year. The two years' gap is too long and I've forgotten a lot of details... I watched all four series in one month in the summer of 2017 and absolutely loved it. One of my favourite TV series. I liked Bodyguard but Line of Duty is simply so much better in my opinion.

That said, I'm not going to rewatch the previous series. It would take too much time....
  • We've been watching the first three series recently - brilliant drama.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bag 'o shyte.

Oh. And the guilty party is DCI Fleming.
  • Arnott and Fleming would make me cough to anything. They are not nice cuddly interviewers 
  • Riviera said:
    Love Ted Hastings and so want him to be straight but the doubts remain. 
    Are they going to reveal who H is in this series or will it continue to the sixth series? I remember it took 2 or 3 series to reveal the Caddy? I really hope it's not Hastings as I quite liked him. But there was hint at the end of the last series that it might be him? (I have yet to watch the first episode of the fifth series.)
  • edited April 2019
    Since series 1 have there been any Police officer other than Arnott and Fleming who aren't bent or who have been blackmailed into being corrupt ?( Now that Ted  "Mother of Mary" Hastings is looking dodgy)

I enjoy the series but don't think the writer is a great fan of any rank in the Police force.
  • I'm happy to suspend disbelief for this, I love the fact it is something that has to he concentrated on as well

Ted Hastings has been a prime candidate for corruption for a few series now as he goes through all the bullshit financially that divorce brings. I feel really sorry for him staying in a travel lodge with his shitter not working 
  • I love watching LOD but you do have to suspend disbelief a bit after Arnott was dropped from 3 flights of stairs last series & not only survived but was back at his desk within days.....
    I was so relieved he didn't die. He's my favourite character on this show.
  • Police jargon, don't ya luv it!

Bit sad seeing Ted Hastings doing an Alan Partridge in cheap hotel. Superintendent pay must be pants. If he really is the big bad H then he is hiding any dodgy payouts well.

And yet again, an officer was offed early in a new series. (Jessica Raine and Danny Waldron being previous victims).

Bit sad seeing Ted Hastings doing an Alan Partridge in cheap hotel. Superintendent pay must be pants. If he really is the big bad H then he is hiding any dodgy payouts well.

And yet again, an officer was offed early in a new series. (Jessica Raine and Danny Waldron being previous victims).
    The thing about Maneet is that we knew the character, but with the Daniel Mays and Jessica Raine characters, they didn't even last their opening episodes.

He's getting a divorce, so im guessing the bedsit/shit hotel room is temporary accom that he's too busy to find alternatives for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nah - he was struggling to pay the bill..

• MrOneLung said:
    Nah - he was struggling to pay the bill..

because he was getting a divorce? There was a shot of him reading divorce papers. 
  • WHOOOSH?
  • Carter said:
    I'm happy to suspend disbelief for this, I love the fact it is something that has to he concentrated on as well

Ted Hastings has been a prime candidate for corruption for a few series now as he goes through all the bullshit financially that divorce brings. I feel really sorry for him staying in a travel lodge with his shitter not working 
    On Ted's Payscale he will get a very decent Pension and Bupa would be part of the package to sort out his shitter.
  • Bag 'o shyte.

Is DI Fleming married? Does her maiden name begin with H?
  • Bag 'o shyte.

Fleming is her married name, they had split (series 2 I think) but last night seemed to show they're back together.
    Maybe her maiden name is H?
  • She's hardly high ranking though is she? Only made up to Inspector in the last series. 
  • Harry  H Corbett.......obviously. 
  • Bag 'o shyte.

Fleming is her married name, they had split (series 2 I think) but last night seemed to show they're back together.
    Maybe her maiden name is H?
    I believe it was ‘casually’ dropped in last series that her middle name begins with H, something is telling me it’s Helen
  • edited April 2019
    Whilst happy to suspend disbelieve, it would be utterly stupid if Arnett or Fleming turn out to be dodgy. I could handle it being Hastings.