Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who's your second team in the Olympics.

Apart from Team GB of course.

I've been tasked (don't ask) to support a second team in the Olympics, so I'm going for Malawi.

4 competitors, 1 in the marathon, 1 in the 400 metres, and 2 in the 50metres Freestyle. One of the competitors bearing the first name of Charlton.

As they don't have any 50 metre pools to train in, in Malawi, let alone heated ones, I figure the 2 swimmers need some support.

[Miserable buggers need not apply :-)]

Comments

• Options
    Would you believe it MAM, but I met them all yesterday.

Doing a course at Glouc Uni in Chletenham and there they were there, meeting local school atheletes who had come over as part of their end of year sports day. Brilliant and very grateful for the heated pool.
  • Options
    Saw the piece on the news last night, they all seemed very pleased with the facilities there.
  • Options
    I'm supporting Guyana as my second country . My boss Is from Guyana and they have only won one medal ever ( a bronze in 1980 ) . They have 5 competitors this year . Three runners , one swimmer and one in the Judo.
  • Options
    Has to be Canada, as my dad was Canadian.
  • Options
    Saw the piece on the news last night, they all seemed very pleased with the facilities there.
    Bit of a mickey mouse 'University' if truth be told.
    Went to the Cotswolds Tango Annual Dinner Dance a couple of weeks ago there. Very strange.
  • Options
    Any of the womens beach volleyball teams
  • Options
    I'm really not sure yet , i'm sure i will be fickle though!
  • Options
    Any ALL of the womens beach volleyball teams
  • Options
    Malawi for me too then. Spent a fair bit of time there on a couple of occasions and loved it.
    They may not have any 50m pools, but they've got a ruddy great lake. No crocodiles in a 50m pool though,I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Has to be New Zealand 4 me...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a big fan of the Swedish women
  • Options
    Malawi for me too then. Spent a fair bit of time there on a couple of occasions and loved it.
    They may not have any 50m pools, but they've got a ruddy great lake. No crocodiles in a 50m pool though,I'd imagine.
    that explains why they are good at the 50m freestyle tho

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Well, 2 of them anyway! Not so sure about the others.
  • Options
    Bermuda. They have 10 athletes coming, best chance of a finalist is in the sailing.
  • Options
    Tanzania, 6 athletes in total, a boxer, swimmer, 3 marathon runners and a middle distance runner

St Lucia, 4 athletes in total, 2 high jumpers a sailor and a swimmer
  • Options
    Nope, they are saying if it stays this cold and wet they will all play in leggings and long sleeve tops
  • Options
    Any of the smaller countries that have very few contestants but the men and women put their heart and soul into performing to the best of their ability.

They need some support.
    Let's hear it for the little guys !!!!
  • Options
    Colombia, on account of the boyfriend.
  • Options
    Canada for me. Lived there from a year old til six and some of my earlier memories include pledging allegiance to the Canadian flag every morning at school.
  • Options
    China for me... the country of my ancestors. And they'll compete for a fair few medals as well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I usually support the Brit if there is one and like Charlton villager I like to support an underdog.

Generally speaking though I think all of those individual sports should be open to the best in the World (that is after all the Olympic ideal) not the best from each country which is limiting. If the best four sprinters in the world are Jamaican they should all be running. We should't have to put up with 2nd best (or 4th best) just to squeeze people in from different countries. We should truly make the event a festival of sport unconstrained by national issues (for obvious reasons this doesn't apply to team sports though).
  • Options
    Nope, they are saying if it stays this cold and wet they will all play in leggings and long sleeve tops
    Poxy weather
  • Options
    I th
    I think you're clutching at straws here hoping it turns into a mud wrestle.
  • Options
    Anyone but America !
  • Options
    Team GB

Go Canada Go!!

Only kidding in case the Patriot Police are reading this :)
  • Options
    USA
  • Options
    Somalia.

Not just because my daughter-in-law is Somali and therefore my grandson is half-Somali.

But because there is no team at the Olympics that has suffered more adversity and tragedy.

There are only two of them - Mohamed Hassan Mohamed in the men's 1500 metres and Zamzam Mohamud Farah in the women's 400 metres.

There is not a single athletics track in the whole country," Zamzam says. ""Some have been used as army bases. Some have been destroyed. The talent is there but not the facilities.''

Actually, I think they are probably my first team. Soomaaliyeey toosoo !
  • Options
    Malta - my second international team for all sports - football, rugby, cricket any sport you care to name, they are my second team. I'm no glory hunter.

To date no Malteser has ever won a medal of any description at the Olympics.

This year Malta will have four representatives at the Olympics - a male 100 m sprinter, a female 200 m sprinter, one swimmer and a contestant in the double trap shooting.
  • Options
    Saudi Arabian women, its the 1st time they've been allowed to compete in the Olympics.
  • Options
    U.S.A

Im a plastic!!!