Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Torch coming through the Borough

Anyone attending? I shall be in Eltham High Street on Saturday morning for it.

Comments

• Options
    Will be watching it not sure where yet
  • Options
    Wandered up the top of my road on Saturday morning expecting to meet one man and a dog watching it. Got there and the world and his wife had turned up! Not much to see tbf but really nice atmosphere and good to see everyone, especially the kids, getting really up for it.
  • Options
    Hey M.A.M.
    Been a bit of a torch junkie - went a month ago, loved the vibe in the crowd and tracked it on 10 different days - rain or shine, just lots and lots of people having a right laugh.

The torch bearer's family, friends, sponsors and work/school colleagues generate extra excitement, but the crowds just seem to want to have something to be happy about, and the torch is the excuse they need!

Thankfully the cynics dont go near it in case they might change their miserable, negative pre-formed views. (no doubt they will pop up on your thread!).

It's been a massive success.
  • Options
    Yes I'll see it at Bromley on Monday 23rd.
  • Options
    Saw it in Bristol while still at Uni there and couldn't believe how many people turned up for it. I didn't even catch a glimpse of the torch so think I will go and try and actually see it in Tunbridge wells tomorrow
  • Options
    I'd have loved to have been around to see the torch but away when it's local. I think it's brilliant every time i see photos of anyone running with it in the wind and rain the crowds are brilliant - definitely generating excitement of what is to come.
  • Options
    My aunt is going to town at The Rose in Bexleyheath for next Sunday for when it goes past. As an exception, you are allowed to drink on the streets etc whilst it's going on so they've stocked up on plastic glasses, cans of booze, marquees etc. all outside the pub.

Should be a good atmosphere.
  • Options
    I'm helping with the stewarding on Sunday so if you see me, leave me alone as I have a duty to do!

Does Bexley have any celebrity runners?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm helping with the stewarding on Sunday so if you see me, leave me alone as I have a duty to do!

Well there will be 90 year old war veteran, Ken Owen, or Sarah Casey, multiple World Record holder (Downs Syndrome) swimming.
    I've only seen a couple of celebrities, and personally prefer the 'average Joe' runners - some amazing stories behind many of the runners.
    Random Bexley runner details here - homeless chap who built a BMX track using free soil from Olympic building workings used by almost 200 kids already. Also involved in cycling inclusion project
    http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/torchbearers/torchbearers=simon-hall-5872/index.html

Full list of runners (and details of their stories) here
    http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/torchbearers/day=2012-07-22/index.html

Route details etc here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay/day65
    take a picnic and folding chairs! (and a flask if you are from Upper West)
  • Options
    Wandered up the top of my road on Saturday morning expecting to meet one man and a dog watching it. Got there and the world and his wife had turned up! Not much to see tbf but really nice atmosphere and good to see everyone, especially the kids, getting really up for it.
    This wasn't you then BA?
    bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9818842.Olympic_Torch_Relay__unprovoked_violence_on_flame_route_in_Pokesdown/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm going to try and see it when it comes through Southwark on 26th. If it's raining, I'll just watch from the office window!
  • Options

Well there will be 90 year old war veteran, Ken Owen, or Sarah Casey, multiple World Record holder (Downs Syndrome) swimming.
    I've only seen a couple of celebrities, and personally prefer the 'average Joe' runners - some amazing stories behind many of the runners.
    Random Bexley runner details here - homeless chap who built a BMX track using free soil from Olympic building workings used by almost 200 kids already. Also involved in cycling inclusion project
    http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/torchbearers/torchbearers=simon-hall-5872/index.html

Full list of runners (and details of their stories) here
    http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/torchbearers/day=2012-07-22/index.html

Route details etc here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay/day65
    take a picnic and folding chairs! (and a flask if you are from Upper West)
    Great post, cheers. I'm also seeing it go through Lewisham!
  • Options
    My brother in Law was in Hull or (some other place of that ilk) the other week and said the torch route came past his hotel but was in a van, not being carried by runners - can that be right or was he mistaken ?
  • Options
    My brother in Law was in Hull or (some other place of that ilk) the other week and said the torch route came past his hotel but was in a van, not being carried by runners - can that be right or was he mistaken ?
    Possible, as I think it is transported on a vehicle for some of the time outside of built up areas. The distances it covers in a day must mean it can't be carried on foot everywhere.

• Options
    I've got tickets for the Leeds Castle Torch event on Thursday - hope the weather is good!
  • Options
    This wasn't you then BA?
    bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9818842.Olympic_Torch_Relay__unprovoked_violence_on_flame_route_in_Pokesdown/

I was a couple of hundred metres up the road and saw or heard none of that. A friend of mine was marshalling on the Friday and had to a deal with a guy who thought it was fun to drop his trousers as it came by. Deary me, there are some proper pond life out there aren't there!
  • Options
    Maybe I won't. Looks like the're running around the back streets of Downham & not coming in to Bromley :-(
  • Options
    Hope to catch it on Saturday morning in Eltham!
  • Options
    Maybe I won't. Looks like the're running around the back streets of Downham & not coming in to Bromley :-(
    08:23 Bromley Road A21
    08:51 Bromley Hill A21
    08:57 Bromley
    08:57 Bromley Hill A21
    08:58 London Road A21
  • Options
    personally I'm amazed and the crowds this has drawn, just to watch someone carrying a flame!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    personally I'm amazed and the crowds this has drawn, just to watch someone carrying a flame!
    I was stunned by the crowds and the atmosphere at the first evening relay and event I went to, but realised the flame is completely incidental - the crowds were there either for their friends/colleagues or as an excuse to get out and be part of something which really is uniting the country.

Most moving day I went to was to the National Memorial Arboritum - a weekend that saw an estimated 2 million people line the streets of the Midlands

• Options
    Well a lot of people have got f... all else to do & it's free.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what time its in Eltham saturday morning ? Cheers
  • Options
    Coming through Hythe / Folkestone today.
  • Options
    Shag said:

Does anyone know what time its in Eltham saturday morning ? Cheers

Junction of Westmount and Old Rochester Way at 09:23. It comes via Well Hall roundabout up to the High St and then up to Westmount.

• Options
    Thanks mate , kids all over it so will head down there
  • Options
    Shag said:

Thanks mate , kids all over it so will head down there

Leave earlier than you think and prepare the kids for it to be late.
    Its only really fun if you engage in banter with those around you.
    The motorcycle outriders will gladly pose for photos with your kids if they are waiting ahead of changeovers.
    Enjoy.

• Options
    Cheers Arf
  • Options
    No worries - this is from The Eltham Portal (which sounds like a Dr Who episode that never made it to TV)

''Greenwich will be the first London Borough to welcome the Olympic Torch when it begins it's journey through the capital from the Prime Meridian Line in Greenwich.

Starting on the Meridian Line in Greenwich Park on Saturday 21 July at 7.30am, Torchbearers will carry the torch through Greenwich Park, Greenwich Town Centre, East Greenwich and Eltham Town Centre before ending the route in Woolwich Town Centre at 9.50am.

The route through Eltham is as follows:

Rochester Way - 8.37am
    Well Hall Road - 8.47am
    Eltham High Street - 8.58am
    Westmount Road - 9.04am
    Well Hall Road - 9.23am

The streets of Eltham will be decorated in bunting and we will also have live performances in Passey Place. St Mary's Community Centre will be opening their snug for teas/coffees from 9-10.30am and will also accomodate St John's Ambulance. There will also be a Coca Cola station and outriders outside of Lloyds Bank, outriders will travel ahead of the Torch Parade and hand out free bottles of coke.

We do hope that people will come into Eltham to show their support and hope to have a lot more activities and entertainment in Eltham to coincide with the event. Please keep checking the website for updates.
  • Options

Possible, as I think it is transported on a vehicle for some of the time outside of built up areas. The distances it covers in a day must mean it can't be carried on foot everywhere.

Came down the end of my road yesterday, they had all the torchbearers in the minibus with all their torches racked up ready to go on their turn, the actual torch ( the lit one! ) follows behind a procession of outriders, sponsors buses (samsung, lloyds, and a few others) but I admit the atmosphere is really good, and very good turn outs too!