Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UFC or Boxing?

Just interested to see what people's preferences are.

Personally I'm a big boxing fan, and am largely baffled by the perception of some that UFC is "bigger." While everyone accepts that boxing might be dying a little, I can't see how anyone can support the notion that UFC has surpassed it in ANY capacity.

The purses at top-level fights are always much bigger in boxing - and sold out, even now.

Not sure about anyone else but a huge chunk of my friends have been talking about the Khan and Haye/Chisora fights for days, while I have only one friend who is vaguely interested in mixed martial arts.

Of course there will be people out there who follow both sports, or just UFC, but I'm just interested to see what the rough ratio of boxing to UFC fans is among Lifers. I'll start: Boxing!

Comments

• Boxing anyday. Just a bit of a shame that scumbags like Haye and Chisora are allowed to get anywhere near the ring.

Boxing is my 2nd favourite sport, behind football of course.
  • Boxing yeah. It's got a bit silly in recent years and there are some very average fighters around at the top level but f*ck the choking shit.
  • Boxing.

Can't believe UFC is even allowed. Just seems barbaric to me.
  • Boxing for me. The rise of MMA has been impressive though, going from being shown on channels like Bravo to getting a lot of air time on a subscription channel in a matter of years, I have a lot of friends who like it but I just can't seem to get into it
  • Boxing - I just don't get UFC .
  • Boxing, Ultimate Fucking Cuddle is pony.
  • Boxing but not a big fan in all honesty

Isn't it in the good ole US of A where UFC is bigger, I remember talking to a Vegas taxi driver and he said it was becoming as popular if not more so than boxing a couple of years ago out there
  • Boxing but not a big fan in all honesty

Isn't it in the good ole US of A where UFC is bigger, I remember talking to a Vegas taxi driver and he said it was becoming as popular if not more so than boxing a couple of years ago out there
    Vegas is the "home" of UFC though, if you spoke to a taxi driver in Wigan you'd probably get the impression that rugby league is the biggest sport in England.

Boxing, just, and the way the two sports are going I could see me and many others preferring UFC in a few years. Boxings been going through a bit of a drought, particuarly as the marquee heavyweight division has been a shambles for a decade or so. It really needs a shake up, but until UFC make submission holds illegal it will probably be favoured.
  • Love boxing, like UFC. I do think though that an MMA style of combat sport will, eventually, take over boxing. Does anyone watch World Combat League on Sky Sports Extreme most nights? It's a team based league where each fighter (including women) fight each other over two rounds, they get points DEDUCTED for fighting too defensively, which makes it pretty explosive.
  • Boxing.

Football aside, boxing is my favourite sport.

Most people that don't follow boxing only seem to care about the heavyweights but right now thats probably the worst division there is.
    From super bantam up to light heavy there are some quality fighters and fights (either domestically or at world level) but the heavyweights get most of the headlines.
  • Sponsored links:

• I love boxing and i really do enjoy ufc for me boxing has had a revival of late with some great fights

Carl froch leading the way of the brits . His style of fight anyone wouldnt be out of place in the ufc

The only issue in boxing is when people like floyd and the pac wont get it on

I dont think that would be allowed to happen in ufc to often

• Boxing.

Can't believe UFC is even allowed. Just seems barbaric to me.
    comments like this imo are stupid and from someone who has no idea about mma....UFC and all mixed martial arts is a way of fighting, boxing, jiujitsu, muay-thai, wrestling, judo etc, it gives the modern fighter ways to express fighting and isn't limited fighting like boxing, there is nothing barbaric about, there are rules as well!!!as a UFC fan for 10 years i have never seen a life damaging injury.Please don't just make stupid comments like its "barbaric" give it a go and you will get into it.

• I love both sports over the last couple of years I have watched more MMA/ ufc than boxing.

Don't believe it has to be UFC or boxing. Rarely have big fights on the same night anyway so no need to choose between them. I think the last time I had to choose was Khan vs Maidana or GSP vs Koscheck.

• edited July 2012
    MMA by a mile, far more cuddling in boxing. Boxing is like the 100m sprint or checkers to the decathlon or chess of MMA.

Imagine if Fedder and Nadal had never faced each other in a tennis match, boxing fans can!
  • Not a huge fan of combat sport. UFC seems to be a scrap for people who don't have the self discipline ( in the ring that is, they obviously have the discipline to train very, very hard for their bouts ) for boxing. So boxing for me.
  • I like both but I prefer boxing.
  • I enjoy both but prefer UFC, as a female I know it's a bit strange. Then again I will watch most sports except cricket. Have tried & failed to get into it.

Will keep an eye out Big Rob for the World Combat League.
  • Not a huge fan of combat sport. UFC seems to be a scrap for people who don't have the self discipline ( in the ring that is, they obviously have the discipline to train very, very hard for their bouts ) for boxing. So boxing for me.
    God knows what the hell you're going on about.
  • edited July 2012
    Boxing, no question. It has its deep history, it's own unique warped form of nobility. Even outside of the ring it's dark underbelly of corruption and manipulation is strangely hypnotic and intriguing. It is what it is, the nature of the beast. Larry Holmes once said "boxing is the only sport where the lions are scared of the rats". A compelling form of entertainment on multiple levels.

UFC for me just looks like boxing's snotty nosed little cousin who's biggest claim to fame is having an ASBO. It conjures up images of late night inner city chav violence but branded as a sport. It's Joey Barton meets Karen Matthews.
  • Can I ask of the people who have a negative view on mma/ UFC. How many mma/ufc fights or events you have actually watched?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2012
    Mma can't draw the money boxing can and can have awful shows bar America the level is dreadful I like both but lately I'm getting bored of UFC mainly because certain fighters like bipsing never get a title crack .
  • Can I ask of the people who have a negative view on mma/ UFC. How many mma/ufc fights or events you have actually watched?
    They probably haven't mate, dinosaurs who know nothing about mma making negative comments about it. Fair enough if people don't like it, but to slag it off when you ain't got a clue is dumb.
  • edited July 2012
    Have always preferred and always will prefer boxing.

Like UFC too though and it is brutal and as an alround combat tool is probably more useful but just prefer the art of boxing and all it's history and tradition.

Different skills and both entertaining but boxing always edges it for me. Used to do Muay Thai when i was younger and although lethal (when done by experts) just preferred boxing.

What Channel is UFC shown on these days? Used to enjoy watching it on Bravo but never seemed to see it on now since that went?
  • Have always preferred and always will prefer boxing.

Like UFC too though and it is brutal and as an alround combat tool is probably more useful but just prefer the art of boxing and all it's history and tradition.

Different skills and both entertaining but boxing always edges it for me. Used to do Muay Thai when i was younger and although lethal (when done by experts) just preferred boxing.

What Channel is UFC shown on these days? Used to enjoy watching it on Bravo but never seemed to see it on now since that went?
    ESPN. its £9 a month not bad if you like ufc and other american sports, plus you get some prem games.

• People who criticise boxing by saying that some fighters refuse to meet seem to forget that the same thing happens in MMA. UFC is just one organisation in the same way that WWE is just a wrestling company, the sport itself is MMA. Other MMA organisation have great fighters and they're signed to exclusivity contracts so they can't compete against other fights, the biggest example of this being Fedor Emelienko, who many consider to be the greatest MMA heavyweight of all time never fighting against some of the top people around because he wouldn't fight for UFC. In my opinion, a great boxing match will always be better than a great MMA match as the sport is just designed for greater entertainment, and although MMA might be better for showing who the best fighter is, it doesn't necessarily make great television.
  • Mma can't draw the money boxing can
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbiz021510
    can have awful shows bar America the level is dreadful
    Standard isn't great but you could say that about domestic level boxing or lower league football, it's still entertaining though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cyYoxvUADc
    I like both but lately I'm getting bored of UFC mainly because certain fighters like bipsing never get a title crack .
    Nothing like politics to ruin a sport!
  • Very unfair the treatment of bipsing fod. He only has to lose and that is him finished. Improved as a fighter love to see him get a crack at the O2 also I reckon silva will smash sonnen
  • Just realised silva fought him last week gutted I forgot that
  • Very unfair the treatment of bipsing fod. He only has to lose and that is him finished. Improved as a fighter love to see him get a crack at the O2 also I reckon silva will smash sonnen
    Bisping vs Stann @ UFC 152 likely to be in line for a title shot if he wins in style. To be frank he is coming of a controversial loss to Sonnen can't exactly give him a shot at Silva, but he is still up their contending.

Your right about Silva he smashed Sonnen last week @ 148.