Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ledley King expected to retire

What a shame he never really got to play to his full potential. A fit Lesley King would have been a real asset on an international stage.over the.last few years.

Comments

• Options
    True, but his knee's been gone for so long, he should've packed it in at least a couple of years ago. Playing on so long may make his later years extremely uncomfortable. I know he will have earned a lot of dough, but with his contacts in the game I'm sure he could've got involved in coaching or some other route that provides a decent living before now.
  • Options
    shame, had everything a top defender needed. what a waste of talent
  • Options
    I would imagine that he is fully aware of the trade-off between playing on and the effect it would have on his mobility in later years. He's made the decision to play for as long as possible and I admire that - I doubt that was motivated by money - most top players just love playing.
  • Options
    True, but his knee's been gone for so long, he should've packed it in at least a couple of years ago. Playing on so long may make his later years extremely uncomfortable. I know he will have earned a lot of dough, but with his contacts in the game I'm sure he could've got involved in coaching or some other route that provides a decent living before now.
    Pretty sure if Richrd Rufus had the chance/choice to keep playing he would also have done so. First 20 years of your life dedicated to the sport... I wouldnt want to walk away early if I was in them shoes
  • Options
    Pretty sure if Richrd Rufus had the chance/choice to keep playing he would also have done so. First 20 years of your life dedicated to the sport... I wouldnt want to walk away early if I was in them shoes
    Even if it cripples you in later life? I agree with lordromford, it is a real shame for him but, in reality, he probably should have retired a long time ago to be able to enjoy his later years
  • Options
    He semi-retired years ago
  • Options
    If you play for an extra 5 years, you canmake sure you have the money to be.comfortable in your later life anyway. He only trained twice a week max anyway, so he hasnt been working it as hard as most professional footballers
  • Options
    I heard on talksport a while ago that he had already left and retired

I am sure that they were slagging levy for not granting a testimonial
  • Options
    Sad but inevitable really. We all realised the end was coming. There's only so long you can continue with low impact rehab work every week and get away with it not affecting your overall fitness. Sadly, last season , he picked up a niggle around Christmas and never recovered. When he came back, it was clear for all to see that he was out of his depth. It was amazing he was able to keep playing for so long.

The statement he released at the end of the season indicated he was considering his future as the club wouldnt be offering him a full playing contract.

Hope Levy looks after him and rewards him for his loyalty.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I do too There aint many 1 club Players left out there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do too There aint many 1 club Players left out there
    Don't think it was down to loyalty. No other club would've touched him with a bardge-pole. Great talent and a huge shame for his club and country that his injuries hampered such a promising career.
  • Options
    Confirmed

Sad day.