Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Platini- Euro 2020 to be spread across 12 to 20 countries

Hosting the event is becoming too expensive, so it may not be a bad idea.

But..

Wont this be a massive expense for fans?

Who will qualify as hosts?

Will there be infrastructure gains - 2 new airports built for 2012 Euros plus roads and hotels?

Will there be a loss of national identity/pride, and would it matter anyway?

Comments

• Options
    I saw a report on Euronews yesterday (don't tell Len I watch that) where they were focussing on the pride that the Ukrainians took from hosting Euro 2012. I think it will be a shame that that sort of thing will be lost. And I fear that it will make the main event indistinguishable from the qualifiers. I hope that they keep it bounded within a small area rather than spreading it all over the show.

Also, could there be some confusion with different time zones if it's spread around too much?
  • Options
    I think it would be an error of judgement to spread the tournament across so many Countries and agree with Stig regarding it becoming like the qualifiers.

Floyd - any proof regarding the event becoming too expensive, this would not be a massive surprise but a link would be good. I suspect some of the money spent was not strictly necessary.

Time zones probably won't be an issue, I suspect TV companies will dictate times favourable to audiences in wealthy Countries.
  • Options
    If it happens it will be a one-off to celebrate 60 years of Europe. Lots of people have ridiculed Platini for it but it's not that bad an idea, Especially if the 12 cities are something like; London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Zurich, Rome, Madrid, Lisbon, so it's not too spread out. If they start throwing Kiev, Athens, Moscow etc. in there then it won't work imo.

Whether they go ahead with it or not, Platini is a massive helm anyway.
  • Options
    Especially if the 12 cities are something like; London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Zurich, Rome, Madrid, Lisbon, so it's not too spread out. If they start throwing Kiev, Athens, Moscow etc. in there then it won't work imo.
    Lisbon to Copenhagen ~ 3000km
    Moscow to Kiev ~ 850km
    Moscow to Athens ~3000km
  • Options
    I think it would be an error of judgement to spread the tournament across so many Countries and agree with Stig regarding it becoming like the qualifiers.

Floyd - any proof regarding the event becoming too expensive, this would not be a massive surprise but a link would be good. I suspect some of the money spent was not strictly necessary.

Time zones probably won't be an issue, I suspect TV companies will dictate times favourable to audiences in wealthy Countries.
    The issues being bandied about are that Turkey - the current favourites, couldnt manage to upgrade the footie stadia/infrastructure as well as the Olympics they are bidding for in the same year.

Also the cost of airports etc in the current euro 'crisis' is considered to be too much for one or two countries to stump up for.
  • Options
    This has logistical nightmare written all over it as Platini's Alexander Complex runs riot.
    Everything this man touches turns to merd .
  • Options
    Especially if the 12 cities are something like; London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Zurich, Rome, Madrid, Lisbon, so it's not too spread out. If they start throwing Kiev, Athens, Moscow etc. in there then it won't work imo.
    Lisbon to Copenhagen ~ 3000km
    Moscow to Kiev ~ 850km
    Moscow to Athens ~3000km
    Well done clever clogs, try Lisbon to Athens or Moscow then?

Clearly you would group them, and how would Copenhagen ever be grouped with Lisbon? As you have pointed out Athens and Moscow are pretty likely to be grouped together and they are nowhere near each other, whereas Lisbon and Madrid are closer to each other and can be grouped easily with Paris or even Rome, both under 2000k from Lisbon.
  • Options

As you have pointed out Athens and Moscow are pretty likely to be grouped together and they are nowhere near each other, whereas Lisbon and Madrid are closer to each other and can be grouped easily with Paris or even Rome, both under 2000k from Lisbon.
    At no point did I state that Athens and Moscow were likely to be grouped together. Assuming the group format is retained, Moscow could be grouped with Kiev and Warsaw (roughly the same distance as Lisbon - Paris), or even some of the Baltic states were they to develop stadia. Athens would be grouped with the likes of Istanbul, Sofia, Belgrade or Rome.
  • Options
    Blokes an idiot......end of!!!!!
  • Options
    If you wasn't implying they were to be grouped together, then why bother posting the distance between them and the distance between Lisbon and Copenhagen? If Platini was to do this over 12 different countries, i think it's highly unlikely smaller countries in Eastern Europe will be used for Stadiums, they will use places with a better infrastructure even if it means having to accomadate teams like Switzerland and Belgium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laughable idea.
  • Options
    Makes sense to me. What Platini is getting at as well is how far away Gdansk is from Donetsk and all the infrastructure problems that Ukraine had would both be alleviated if the matches were held in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Brugge, Berlin, Munich, Copenhagen etc. They're all closer, cheaper and easier to get between than Poland-Ukraine and they''ll probably be better than whatever Turkey roll out. It would also be a lot cheaper as no new-stadiums would have to be constructed and all these countries have the necessary infrastructure already in place to host a few games of tournament football. Wouldn't be too much bother for the fans either as they could have Group A in London, B in Paris etc etc so they could all set up in one city and then move on for the knock out phases as fans have had to do for this Euro tournament.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    They won't be though will they, the Eastern lot will be in uproar if Moscow, Prague etc get overlooked and why should they, they are in the top 12 in Europe so if we are having a magical mystery tour of European footballing capitals then why not?

banknote, how much do you think flights will cost ordinary people between these cities? Kiev and Donetsk may have been 700km apart and 14 hours but the train was £20! Bet Ryanair etc are chomping at the bit to get this on the table.
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea personally. The thing with the Euros/World Cup is that you do get a number of games full of supporters who don't seem that bothered, they're just there for the hell of it (bit like the London Olympics this Summer). Who remembers Austria/Switzerland in 2008 for example?!

At least with this idea you can cherry pick 12-13 big footballing cities that travelling supporters would love to go to.
  • Options
    Just feels a bit Champions League 'Extra' to me.
  • Options
    No, just no!!!!!!!! Stupid idea and it would be a disaster for fans.
  • Options
    Really don't like this idea. It's not done with the Olympics, the World Cup or any other major event - why change it?
  • Options
    But they don't really care about fans do they.
  • Options
    just checked the calender to see if we had gone back 3 months to April 1st !!!!!!
  • Options

The issues being bandied about are that Turkey - the current favourites, couldnt manage to upgrade the footie stadia/infrastructure as well as the Olympics they are bidding for in the same year.

Also the cost of airports etc in the current euro 'crisis' is considered to be too much for one or two countries to stump up for.
    Here's an idea....lets not give it to Turkey then.

There are at least 6 countries that could a tournament starting tomorrow. Next we will be having the World Cup in somewhere like Qatar...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scotland, Wales and Ireland/Northern Ireland (not sure which one) have all expressed an interest in holding euro 2020 as a joint bid and I would be fine with that. But then again its alot closer than Poland and Ukraine so my view is probably very biased.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Here's an idea....lets not give it to Turkey then.

There are at least 6 countries that could a tournament starting tomorrow. Next we will be having the World Cup in somewhere like Qatar...

Easy tiger - dont shoot the messenger ;-)

I'm not sure the whole Quatar thing is really anything more than an urban myth now, is it? No, they couldnt be that stupid could they?
    I mean, come on, FIFA arent self-serving dinosaurs who are unfit for purpose now, are they?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sorry, Turkey is NOT a European country. Spreading the games around is a good idea. it would make more games more accessible to more people, with less need for expensive travel and accommodation and would share the profits around. The whole tournament would cost less than at present. Ideally the tournament would be based in one or 2 countries over 6 or 8 sites. However, hosting the games is getting more and more unaffordable for any other than the richest nations or those countries willing to bankroll games in poorer and more remote nations. Platini, a man I usually regard as a cross between Napoleon and J P Sartre, has come up with a decent 'democratic' idea... at last
  • Options
    Except he isnt talking two or three countries - more like 2 or 3 dozen.
  • Options
    Give it to Germany they do a good tournament, plenty of stadia great transport plenty of accommodation great fans great country. Next. Oh sorry there's not enough chance to make a quick buck there.
  • Options
    If they do this were will it stop? Every country will Want a piece of the pie, where do you play the final game? Next it will be let's have the olmpyics dotted around
  • Options
    At least the hosts wouldn't (undeservedly) qualify.

Can't see any other positives from this absurd idea.

There are several countries that can and would want to host it. If that means rotating it continuously between Germany, France, England, Spain and Italy then good. I'm getting fed up with these upstart countries getting it.
  • Options
    Platini reckons with cheap air travel it won't impact on fans.

He seems to think that airline companies & local hotels won't jack their prices up then. Imagine flying to Rome & back for an England game, then back to the airport again for a flight to Lisbon, then back again to fly to Munich or something. 6 flights in 10 days or something, whereas many people like to base themselves in one place then explore a new country from there during the tournament.
  • Options
    Why dont they just do the tourney in the canaries? On Tenerife,
    Build 4 stadiums, keep everyone there, the little Island makes an absolute fortune, everyone icluding the teams only have to get a bus to games
  • Options
    I presume you'd have to group the host cities to make the groups vaguely logical, as currently, even with multi country tournaments, all the group games are played on 1 country
    e.g.
    London, Glasgow
    Paris, Brussels
    Amsterdam, Copenhagen
    Madrid, Lisbon
    Munich, Vienna
    Milan, Zurich

I presume as there are no host countries, everyone would have to qualify, and no team would have home advantage, e.g. Germany could play their Group games in Madrid/Lisbon?

With such an arranagment, you'd end up with a lot of local 'neutral' supporters at each game surely?