Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No signings-big deal?

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
With the current rumours about problems behind the scenes and no new signings, would people be happy if we went into the new season with the old squad?
I think I'd be fine with that and I reckon the current crop would stay up with a bit to spare.
Of course, no incomings plus a couple of out goings might not be so good...

Comments

• it would be a struggle to stay up with no incomings at all. The midfield is too weak, elsewhere we have enough.
  • 101 points in league 1 suggests enough to stay up. But i want more than a relegation battle, i want top half finish
  • Our team as it stands is good enough, 101 points shouldn't be overlooked. Most also will want to prove to themselves that they can do it in the CCC as well (BWP, JJ, Solly, Yann, Wiggins etc)
  • We have about 20 senior players but that includes Clarke, Hughes and Hayes who may well be sold. Then we have players like Green and Wagstaff who need to improve if they're going to step up to the Champ.

Last season I'm sure Powell wanted 2 players for every position, so that's a minimum of 2 signings. We need to improve in a few areas - midfield with the option of a pacey winger and a CM that's a level above what we have. We also lack pace at centre back - Taylor & Cort probably won't be here in the longer term either. Solly has no competition either. Then if/when Hayes and Clarke go we'll need competition for Yann.
  • Yes but if for financial reasons we can't add any players, I'd be more than happy to go with what we have.
  • edited June 2012
    I think we would finish 16th-21st with a squad of:

Hamer
    Sullivan

Solly
    Morrison
    Cort
    Taylor
    Evina
    Wiggins

Green
    Wagstaff
    Pritchard
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson

BWP
    Kermorgant
    Haynes

Plus the kids and token freebie/loan replacements for Hughes, Clarke and Hayes and a couple more to cover the departed loanees of last season.
  • If relying on last seasons squad is the biggest problem we currently have, I can live with it. We'll be bottom six all season, but we have a fighting chance.

However, the thread of doom leads me to believe that things are a bit worse than that.

Time and about 500 different sources will soon tell us the 'truth'.

• 1st of july is officially when players contracts run out, we have obviously been in talks with players to sign them after this date. Also, keeping what we are doing quiet is good because other teams are as clueless as us fans.
  • I think this may be the source?

http://www.thesource.com/
  • edited June 2012
    Depends on what Powell does tactically, if we play to our strengths and attack teams, then I think we'll finish 15th/16th with current squad. Basically we will stay up.
    But if he decides to set the team up to sit back and invite pressure, living on the breaks, then I think we'll struggle.

Team needs strengthening, everyone can see that. Maybe we have to sell to buy, I hope that is not the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• I find it hard to believe that a club that gets 101 points in one division won't find three clubs worse than themselves in the next. That said, like SuperYann I'd like something a little more than just safety.
  • All I want is consolidation for next season which I believe this current squad could deliver. We would just about stay up I reckon with an 18thish place finish.
  • current squad = mid table easy. this division is not so hard.
  • We'll be absolutely fine.
  • I think the current squad will be challenging next season. The main reason for that is the defence looks so strong to me. I think we will need a couple of decent additions to be right up the top but wouldn't write off our midfield. There is a lot of sense in giving last season's side a chance.
  • current squad = mid table easy. this division is not so hard.
    When you look at the fixture list most of the clubs have played in the Premiership.

They are big clubs and need to get promoted.

We may struggle without a stronger defence and proven goalscorers at our new level.
  • edited July 2012
    Southampton made their first signing last year on the 6th July and their second on the 22nd. They only made 4 additions to a team that finished second in league one and are now in the premiership. I don't get this negativity.
  • edited July 2012
    More than confident that our current team is capable of being competitive as things stand. Let those clubs that have struggled in the division each season worry about us instead.
  • Trouble is was looking forward to this new season i thought with 6-8 new signings getting rid of a few squad players we could have a comfy mid table position but with the money problems we have Powell will be restricted to who he can bring in.there was a buzz at charlton last season but that is fading fast it must b a big shame 4 powelly he deserves better than this.
  • Depends on what Powell does tactically, if we play to our strengths and attack teams, then I think we'll finish 15th/16th with current squad. Basically we will stay up.
    But if he decides to set the team up to sit back and invite pressure, living on the breaks, then I think we'll struggle
    Our biggest strength last season was defending. We played cautious football and it worked. We made sure we defended as a team first and went from there.

With some good signings I can see the same style working for us next season. More teams will attack us and that opens up space for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• 101 points in league 1 suggests enough to stay up. But i want more than a relegation battle, i want top half finish
    Stan James betting:

Charlton to finish in top 12.......... 4/6
    or not.......11/10
  • I'm hoping Barnsley, Bristol City Peterborough, Palarse Millwall Derby and Watford will be worse than us, even without say 6 new signings.
  • We have the core of a decent squad but that's all I'm afraid. I think people are overestimating our current potential and under estimating the step up in quality in the Championship. As we stand I see a relegation scrap but with the addition of a minimum of three key signings we could surprise a few people. I was hoping that we were looking to sign about five players and push on but given the problems we now have at the top I suspect that we are in for a tough season. Goes with the territory of being a Charlton fan I suppose.
  • With all thats supposedly going on behind the scenes,my worry is Chris Powells take on it all,is he likely to stay if things are to be stacked up against us,will he give a ultimatum to the board if he cant get what he wants.Im not questioning scp loyalty and passion for our club,that is not in doubt,but he is a professional and proud man who has a long managerial career in front of him and wont want his hands tied and reputation tarnised,this for me is the biggest worry
  • We clearly have an excellent squad. 101 points is obscene at any level and we did it with a mostly young team so we're not going into the next season shedding the journeymen who got us to this level. I wouldn't be too worried about relegation on the face of it, but what would worry me would be the feeling among the squad if all this Varny blarney turns out to be true. Players who signed for high-ambition money-laden Charlton suddenly finding themselves in a team that can't give them what it promised probably won't be too happy. Our team spirit was one of the things that led us to the title last season so we could have unhappy players and unhappy results. On the face of it though I'm comfortable
  • edited July 2012
    Agree. Have to remember although we finished on 101 points, we were often winning by the odd goal. Games were close but we had a very strong defence and that bit more quality to find a goal.

Look at it this way - a few injuries and we could end up with say Evina, Hughes and Hayes in the starting 11 and Clarke and some youngsters on the bench. Now they all played a part last season, but would anyone be confident with that team and bench for a run of games in the Champ?

A few signings can really improve a team but like SHG I was hoping we were looking to push on with 5/6 better quality signings with some regulars becoming squad players.
  • edited July 2012
    Jesus H Christ. Have I missed something? Other than the rumours surrounding Varney leaving what "money problems" or "trouble at the top" do we have? Other than the money problems all teams at this level have? IE not having as much as we'd like? Varney was going to move on after 2 years. We achieved our immediate goals, er, immediately. So he moves on after one year and retains his involvement with the club. As far as I can glean the only problems are scary shadows in the minds of a few CL'ers! And, you know, those years of misery may take a while to outgrow, but I seem to remember SCP saying it would be July before we see new signings, so it looks to me like we are on target.

Chillax.

Sorry.
  • Was'nt the plan we would develop our youngsters. We bought a lot of young players las year, Smith apparently was said to be a very promising striker we also have the likes of cousins waitng in the wings. These players are never going to make it if we keep buying older ones for short term solutions
  • edited July 2012
    Was'nt the plan we would develop our youngsters. We bought a lot of young players las year, Smith apparently was said to be a very promising striker we also have the likes of cousins waitng in the wings. These players are never going to make it if we keep buying older ones for short term solutions
    Strong youth / development policy is I agree essential but from any group of youngsters you will be lucky if you get one or possibly two breaking through. That leaves I'm afraid purchasing or at least signing players.