Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spain v Italy - Sunday 1 July 2012, 7.45pm - Preview / Match Thread

Spain v Italy

Fifa rankings:
Spain 1
Italy 12

The final of the tournament takes place amid the golden domes of the Ukrainian capital of Kiev. Spain current World and European champions take on Italy, the conquerors of England.

The Ukrainian writer, Mikhail Bulgakov sets his classic novel The White Guard amongst the turmoil of revolution in Kiev. Turmoil enveloped the Italians as they entered this tournament, amidst allegations of match fixing, politicians calling for the team to be withdrawn and the manager accepting to do likewise if required. The team was not withdrawn, and history suggests the Italians may respond positively to such circumstances, the 1982 World Cup victory following similar events. Spain, by way of contrast, could enter the competition in a state of calm. Having won the previous two major tournaments for national teams, and then breezing through qualification without defeat, the Spanish could be forgiven for feeling confident.

The two sides met in their opening group fixture. Whilst the match was drawn, the Italy were the better of the two teams. Spain then cruised pass the Irish and went on to beat Croatia narrowly. The Italians finished second to Spain in the group after drawing with Croatia and beating Ireland. In the second round the Spanish beat a French team who performed poorly, whilst the Italians beat a defensively minded English team on penalties. Spain opted not to attack for the majority of their semi final against Portugal, only rousing themselves to attack near the end, and going on to knock out Cristiano Ronaldo et al on penalties. By way of contrast Italy played superbly against a highly rated Germany with Mario Balotelli scoring twice, the second of which was a wonderful strike.

The core of the Spanish team comes from Barcelona and it is therefore no surprise they play in a similar style of fine passing favoured by the Catalans. A debt of gratitude is therefore owed to Johan Cruyff. The unavailability of David Villa through injury together with an embarrassment of riches in midfield has led Spain’s manager, Vicente Del Bosque, in some games to do away with forwards and play extra midfielders, albeit with Cesc Fabregas in an advanced role. An absence of strikers has meant the Spanish do not have the chances to score that their possession of the ball merits. Del Bosque does have strikers, such as Fernando Torres, Alvaro Negredo and Fernando Llorente, at his disposal and Spain, in this writer’s opinion, will do better against the Italians if one or two get on the pitch in Kiev’s Olympic Stadium.

Cesare Prandelli has the Italians dispensing with defensive tactics of old and playing an attacking passing based game. It is as if the Italians have watched and learnt from the Spanish sides that won World and European titles. The Italians will line up in a 4-4-2 formation, with their forward line led by the enigmatic Balotelli and ably assisted by Antonio Cassano who has matured into the role and plays in an intelligent fashion. Andrea Pirlo acts as conductor to the Italy team.

One to watch:
Spain - Xavi
Italy - Who else but Balotelli, the Manchester City forward is playing well, scoring, appearing to be happy and even smiling after scoring, expect fireworks albeit not literally.

Odds:
Spain to win 6 / 5
Italy to win 11 / 4
A draw 11 / 5
(Paddy Power)

Prediction:
If Spain play without strikers, expect a dour game narrowly edged by the Italians. However, if the Spanish play with strikers, expect a joyous game of wonderful attacking passing football narrowly edged by the Italians. This is not to say Spain can’t win, they are not reigning World and European Champions for nothing.

Spain 1 Italy 2

Comments

• Spain have had it easy for too long and as a result have lost a bit of desire and spark. The formation tweaks haven't made them better either.

A lot with Italy will depend on their attitude. One of containment and counter, or go on the offensive ?

It should be the latter by old habits die hard and I suspect the former.

Think Spain will turn it on again and win comfortably.

Just hope its a decent spectacle.
  • Nice preview sheff. I've got to go with Italy here, backed them in the fantasy spread bet comp and I do have a soft spot for them and especially Prandelli. What a story it could be for Pirlo as well, a year ago released by Milan and since then won Serie A (shame who it was with) and is now on the verge of picking up a Euro Championship medal to go along with his World Cup one. Got a feeling this could go all the way to pens.
  • as i already stated in another thread i put a bet on italy pre tournament to win euro 12 @ 14/1 (on to win £30). have just put a fiver on balo to score anytime at 3/1.

hope italy win (not because of the bets), but because i cant bloody stand spain. bunch of arrogant %$^$% and i cant stand that tic tac football they play. so boring.
  • Italy 2 v Spain 0
  • 0-0 Italy on penalties.
  • Italy 3 -1 Spain, Mario Hat - trick for Italy and Xavi with a consolation goal for Spain.
  • Italy v Spain Draw after 90 minutes ( 9-4 StanJames )
    Spain the lift the Trophy ( 8-15 Bet365 )
    Fabregas to score anytime ( 3-1 Betfred )
    Balotelli to score the first goal of the game with a header ( 25-1 Betvictor )
  • Balotelli to score the first goal of the game with a header ( 25-1 Betvictor )

oooooo tempting tempting
  • Italy I think - Spain are not starting with a recognised forward and in games that typically are won by the odd goal that's big risk.

• come on italy!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Be nice to see Italy do it after their excellent win over Germany.

Can Pirlo manage 3 games in a week though? I guess a number of the Spaniards aren't spring chickens either but a functioning Pirlo seems fundamental to a successful italy in my view.
  • Not a lot to choose between the two.
    Prefer the Italian keeper over the Spanish one, therefore;
    Italy on pens @ 9/1
  • Great goal by Spain.
  • Buffon singing the national anthem was good value.

Hoping for a Balotelli moment soon.
  • edited July 2012
    Lol. No one called this. Spain are threatening to run away with it. Hustling and harrying off the ball is Powellesque in execution ;-) they look very good right now.
  • Spain are playing at a higher tempo than they have all tournament.
  • Lol. No one called this.
    Well I didn't but
    Think Spain will turn it on again and win comfortably.
  • edited July 2012
    So. Have those in the "Boring, Boring Spain" camp nodded off yet?

Ridiculous comments.
  • edited July 2012
    So. Have those in the "Boring, Boring Spain" camp nodded off yet?

Ridiculous comments.
    yep. turned over. cant be asked to watch them anymore.
  • So. Have those in the "Boring, Boring Spain" camp nodded off yet?

Ridiculous comments.
    yep. turned over. cant be asked to watch them anymore.
    Your loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2012
    Best team have won, but the hero of th tournament, Pirandelli fucked it up. Balzaretti should have been on from the start to push back the Spanish full back. Montolivio should never have started and motta should never have come on. Shame because the first time showed this match up could be a competition.
  • Absolute masterclass.

Almost a different sport to what we play
  • John Terry is just changing into his Spain kit for the photos.
  • edited July 2012
    Was Valdez in goal for Spain. Can't remember seeing much of him.

Edit. O just see it was casilas. Didnt see much of him neither
  • England would've won. ; )
  • Very much doubt the 'world class Rooney' would make it in that team!
  • John Terry is just changing into his Spain kit for the photos.
  • Fantastic performance from Spain, they were so far ahead of everybody else in this competition it was unreal.
  • Scary thing is that they are actually quite a young team too.