Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My favourite 90's team

As it comes to the end of the week...just thought id have some meaningless fun and select my team of the 90's.
My Dad first took me to see Charlton v Notts County as my first game back at the Valley we won 5-1 in 1992 maybe 1993. I think i was 10 or 11 at the time...now 29 and i think i fall into the catergory of saying 'i have seen enough but not quite enough as others!'

So just for fun heres mine...BASED ON TODAYS RULES WITH SEVEN SUBS
GK: Andy Petterson
RB: Steve Brown
CB: Richard Rufus (who else)
CB: Phil Chapple (tough decison against Stuart Balmer)
LB: Anthony Barness
RM: Shaun Newton
CM: Mark Kinsella
CM: Lee Bowyer
LM: John Robinson
CF: Carl Leaburn
ST: Sir Clive Mendonca

SEVEN SUBS: GK; Mike Salmon, DF; Paul Sturgess, DF; Eddie Youds, MF; Mark Robson MF; Keith Jones FW: Gary Nelson, FW: Kim Grant

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Pretty good attempt there.

I'd go with Sweaty, purely because I liked him and it says favourite team, Youds and Chapple both have a case though.

Maybe Bowen for Barness but I accept that Bowen did not play that many matches although he was effective.

I think a lot would also go for Sasa in goal too.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    David Whyte's got be in there for me, and Morts and Walshy. Not sure who to drop though.
  • Options
    David Whyte's got be in there for me, and Morts and Walshy. Not sure who to drop though.

o dear... i did drop a huge clanger there with that one!! David Whyte all the way! I always remember his winning goal against Brentford in the FA Cup in the 88th minute and it was the first time ever I had been in the North Stand the roof almost came off!

• Options
    I'd maybe consider Simon Webster to partner Rufus and Bowyer probably wouldn't make my starting eleven. Apart from that I would have to applaud Bradders' choices. Oh yeah, Illic would be my keeper.
  • Options
    Id like to change Paul Mortimer for Keith Jones and David Whyte for Kim Grant
  • Options
    Minto instead of Barness, surely?
  • Options
    It's always difficult in these exercises, e.g. for RB do you go for the stalwart (Brown) or the better player, who wasn't here long (Mills)?
    I'd go for Bolder in goal, he played a fair few games during the start of the decade.
    Can't argue with the midfield, though Pardew might be worth a place on the bench...
    Whyte would be in the bench, you couldn't play him with Sir Clive.
    Minto at LB also, Pitcher on the bench...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Since SCP joined in !998 he is my left back ,Kiely would be the Goalkeeper as he signed in 1999 .My team

Kiely ,Humphrey ,Powell ,Bowyer ,Rufus ,Youds,Newton ,Hunt ,Mendonca ,Kinsella ,Walsh .Subs Bolder ,Mills ,Minto,Jones ,Mortimer ,Whyte ,Leaburn

• Options
    Some of this is how you define players.

I think of Colin Walsh, despite THAT goal, as 80s just as one example so would not immediately consider him for a 90s team although he is obviously eligible.
  • Options
    Brendan O'Connell was the best player to wear a CAFC shirt in the 90's and should be the first name on your team sheet! FACT! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brendan O'Connell was the best player to wear a CAFC shirt in the 90's and should be the first name on your team sheet! FACT! ;-)
    Better than Paul Bacon though?!?
  • Options
    It's always difficult in these exercises, e.g. for RB do you go for the stalwart (Brown) or the better player, who wasn't here long (Mills)?
    I'd go for Bolder in goal, he played a fair few games during the start of the decade.
    Can't argue with the midfield, though Pardew might be worth a place on the bench...
    Whyte would be in the bench, you couldn't play him with Sir Clive.
    Minto at LB also, Pitcher on the bench...

All valid points...except for Pitcher.
  • Options

GK: Sasa Ilic
    RB: Steve Brown
    CB: Richard Rufus
    CB: Stuart Balmer
    LB: Mark Bowen
    RM: Shaun Newton
    CM: Mark Kinsella
    CM: Lee Bowyer
    LM: John Robinson
    CF: Carl Leaburn
    ST: Sir Clive Mendonca
  • Options
    I know I have deemed him worthy of my username, but I can't believe Paul Sturgess deserves even a spot on the bench! I think the best he managed was probably a run of about 10 or 15 games in the side in about 94/95. As said above, Minto, Powell, Barness, Bowen all above him - not that I liked him but even Jamie Stuart made more of an impact for us than Sturgess!
  • Options
    No Andy Hunt? Our one season wonder?
  • Options
    If we are talking about favourites then there would have to be room for Garry Nelson. Like Steve Brown, and Kins, and Robbo his whole-heartedness made him a true favourite.

Here's steam that would never lie down:
    Bolder
    Brown
    Rufus
    Webster
    Sweaty
    Robbo
    Kins
    Bowyer
    Lee (R)
    Sir Clive
    Nelse

There is a team with the spirit of CAFC in it's veins.

Rob Lee may have been at the end of his CAFC career but didn't he get POTY in the 90s?
  • Options
    I know I have deemed him worthy of my username, but I can't believe Paul Sturgess deserves even a spot on the bench! I think the best he managed was probably a run of about 10 or 15 games in the side in about 94/95. As said above, Minto, Powell, Barness, Bowen all above him - not that I liked him but even Jamie Stuart made more of an impact for us than Sturgess!

remember it says favourite team.
    Bowen was good and Barness as well...Powell a legend but he signed in 98 so thats late 90's and his career with us went through to the 00's so that was my thinking. Minto should be there really but i only saw him a few times as he was sold shortly after i began my Charlton Supporting days. Jaime Stuart...did the drugs and got sacked, i was only 14 then so it set a bad impession and he then eventually played for The scum. So if you can see the way i was thinking...Sturgess had a brilliant left foot and was unlucky not to be in the team more often.

• Options
    No Andy Hunt? Our one season wonder?
    Yep!
  • Options
    Bolder
    Mills
    Rufus
    Webster
    Powell
    Lee
    Bowyer
    Kinsella
    Mortimer
    Mendonca
    Hunt

You would not need subs with a team as good as that!