Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amsterdam

I'm going to Amsterdam on a course in a couple of weeks - any suggestions for some sight seeing - other than the obvious red light district.
Went a few years ago and did Anne Franks house and the national museum. Any other hidden gems out there?

Comments

• Options
    Go to fat city ... Grab a punnet of mushrooms from next door and your set...
  • Options
    Nepal Cream
    Sweet Plant
    Malana Palm
    Moroccan Ice

All excellent sights
  • Options
    Lived there for a year - wonderful city. Vondelpark and the Ice Bar were two of my favourites. Climb the tower of the Westerkerk and check out some of the other church buildings, their incredible. The Royal Palace too if it's open. If you like gigs, Paradiso and Melkweg are great. The Ajax ground is about 15 mins train ride away and worth a look. A trip to Utrecht is a must. Rotterdam is fun too, though very different to Amsterdam.
  • Options
    If you want to see bands go to the Last Waterhole.

http://www.waterhole.nl/
  • Options
    The Heinekin Museum is a must !!
  • Options
    Moutakilla there is an improvisational comedy club called Boom Chicago which is a great night out
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Why would you go to Amsterdam to visit museums...
  • Options
    The Heinekin Museum !!!
  • Options
    Bourbon Street Blues Club was pretty good last time I went if you like that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Go to Edam or Delft a short bus ride away
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Heinekin Museum is a must !!
    yep and if youre lucky, parents of young kids or non drinkers may give you their token for a free pint - me and my mates got 4 free pints when we went.

also im trying to think of pub we spent most of our time (and money in) last year and this year too. they had one of the best beers i have ever had on tap. altough it was pricey €8 a pint, it was well worth it

if i could i would go back every year. fantastic city.
  • Options
    Cafe de pijp near Albert Cuyp Market is a mint little bar with quality food. Not as touristy round there so unlike much of Amsterdam, it's reasonably priced. Had some quality food there and its quite a cool atmos. The market is okay as well, its a proper market with all sorts of food and tat as opposed to just a ponced up tourist attraction like Borough Market, so it has a more authentic feel. Not far from the Heineken Museum as well if you're interested in that.
  • Options
    Just take a stroll along the Prinsengracht canal, there's plenty of little art galleries, quirky shops and places to have a sit down and a coffee. If you fancy an organic veggie meal the Golden Temple on Utrechtstraat is a must or 100 yards up from Anne Frank's House is the Pancake House where a Brazilian will fill you right up.
  • Options
    got to check out leidseplein and the amount of bars they have to offer, personal fave was the watering hole pretty mental drinks deals and the live music is awesome and its just a generally great place to have a few drinks and a laugh! the sports bar is a good aswell with 10 shots of jager for 10 euros....gets quite messy as youll prob imagine!
  • Options
    Been to Amsterdam about 6 times (although not in last 10 yrs) but can only recommend coffee shops ;-)

I do recall through hazy eyes going to a sex museum and a torture museum. Still not sure which one was which...........................

• Options
    Indonesian food.
  • Options
    http://www.sexmuseumamsterdam.nl/index2.html

Next question.
  • Options
    Really want to go is it expensive?
  • Options
    Depends if you want a pretty one or not.
  • Options
    Paradiso/Melkweg and De Pijp are great shouts. I was there for a couple of years largely on expenses, so I've given the restaurant scene a good trawling. A decent value option is Saturino on the road behind the flower market and Van Vlaanderen, near the main square - best restaurant I've ever visited. As for the rest - the Rockerij or Dampring are the best if you want to find the sweet arms of oblivion. Steer clear of anywhere close to central station if you want to avoid the banter-banter brigade or indeed dodgy morrocon dealers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    s
    Depends if you want a pretty one or not.
    LOL
  • Options
    Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but the Dutch have passed a law stopping any non-Dutch people being served in the coffee shops.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but the Dutch have passed a law stopping any non-Dutch people being served in the coffee shops.
    At the risk of being berated for mentioning the EU I would have thought that could be construed as breaching single market regulations.

It would be interesting if we were to try similar over here in various sectors. I can hear the outrage now.

• Options
    They want to introduce a "weed licence" where you need to have a licence to smoke weed in the coffee shops.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17865663

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I can assure you that you'll still get served in the smaller shops
  • Options
    has the law fully passed? ive yet to hear anything about it...
  • Options
    Was over there the other week, had no problem
  • Options
    In Amsterdam you're still being served. Only in the border areas with Belgium and Germany, below the rivers, you already need to have a license. Our government will however introduce this license in the whole country, starting somewhere early next year. So you should be fine.
  • Options
    In Amsterdam you're still being served. Only in the border areas with Belgium and Germany, below the rivers, you already need to have a license. Our government will however introduce this license in the whole country, starting somewhere early next year. So you should be fine.
    relief! i hv a euro trip booked already and was really looking forward to visit amsterdam for a few nights... planning on going for the few nights between the home fixtures between blackburn (sat 3pm) and watford (tues 7pm)....
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    For those of you who go the 'dam for the smoke, you should really try popping over to Denhaag sometime, I found the 'erb there to be of a lot better quality.

Having said that if you find yourself near Damkring, get a gram of the Waterworks 100, it's E100 for the gram but very, very worth it.

Apart from that, the sex museum is great, as is the heiny museum. If it's open, the cannabis college is a cool place to go, see all the products they make from hemp and check out their GIANT plants. I went 6/7 times during my 3 year stay at Hull uni, one visit was for 2 weeks, it really is my favourite city in the world. (for obvious reasons)