Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Forget Sheridan Smith, Gemma Whelan playing Karen Mattews was extraordinary. Best performance I've seen on television for years.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Forget Sheridan Smith, Gemma Whelan playing Karen Mattews was extraordinary. Best performance I've seen on television for years.

Bloke at work reckons she based the performance in Vicky Pollard
  • Options

Redskin said:

Really.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Really? We were cringing at her performance. Like a poor impression of an amalgamation of Kathy Burke characters Waynetta Slob and Perry the teenager.
  • Options
    New series of 24 starts tonight on Fox. Wonder what it will be like without Jack Baeur!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Redskin said:

Really? We were cringing at her performance. Like a poor impression of an amalgamation of Kathy Burke characters Waynetta Slob and Perry the teenager.
    I think there was far more range and subtlety in her performance than that. But Vicky Pollard and Waynetta Slob it is: nice and simple.
  • Options
    Yes, I have to say I thought Gemma Whelan was relatively poor and I didn't find Sheridan Smith up to her normal excellent standard. But it's all opinions.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Redskin said:

I totally agree. I thought her performance was very poor.
  • Options

Yes, I have to say I thought Gemma Whelan was relatively poor and I didn't find Sheridan Smith up to her normal excellent standard. But it's all opinions.

Agree. Smith couldn't quite get the West Yorkshire tone consistently right. None of them felt particularly believable as actors in my opinion.
  • Options
    I have been watching the BBC documentary series Hospital on catch up and it's very impressive. Unlike 24 hours in A&E this doesn't sugar coat the problems of patients and the NHS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redskin said:

I thought it was Wayneta Slob.
  • Options

The latest Scandinavian offering from More 4 entitled The Team starts on Friday at 9pm. Sounds good. 3 prostitutes killed in 3 different countries all shot in the eye and had a finger cut off. Hoping it can match the Bridge. Good eye candy as well.

Is this going to be like the recent Icelandic one where they show the first episode on TV and then leave us to watch the rest on All4 if we like it enough? Was it you who said the Icelandic one was a bit disappointing? I watched the first episode and wasn't thrilled enough to watch the rest.

Will certainly give this a try though.

• Options
    The last three episodes of the Icelandic one pulled it back for me but I wouldn't recommend it like a bridge spiral killing braquo series. The team may not be subtitled. Not sure about how it will be shown. Will keep you posted.
  • Options

Just watched the first episode of Legion. It has a really entertaining way of showing someone's view of the world through their mental health issues.

We're watching the first episode now. The other half hates Marvel stuff but I didn't tell her anything about the show and she's hooked.

I watched this last night. It's unlike anything else I've seen but there were hints in it that it is going to morph into an X-Men/Avengers type of thing. Impressed with the first one though.
    It definitely went very 'Marvel' at the end. I liked the way they built up to it.
    The second episode was very light on the 'Marvel'. I don't think it's going to be too obviously in the X-Men universe, despite that X in the O in the name and the mention of mutants. Introduced my son to it and he's really liking it, too.
  • Options

The last three episodes of the Icelandic one pulled it back for me but I wouldn't recommend it like a bridge spiral killing braquo series. The team may not be subtitled. Not sure about how it will be shown. Will keep you posted.

We watched the first episode of Braquo. It just didn't do it in the way Spiral, The Bridge, etc., at least not for us. Does it get better or is that first ep. pretty much the standard?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Stick with it mate it's really good. I do prefer spiral though
  • Options

Just watched the first episode of Legion. It has a really entertaining way of showing someone's view of the world through their mental health issues.

We're watching the first episode now. The other half hates Marvel stuff but I didn't tell her anything about the show and she's hooked.

I watched this last night. It's unlike anything else I've seen but there were hints in it that it is going to morph into an X-Men/Avengers type of thing. Impressed with the first one though.
    It definitely went very 'Marvel' at the end. I liked the way they built up to it.
    The second episode was very light on the 'Marvel'. I don't think it's going to be too obviously in the X-Men universe, despite that X in the O in the name and the mention of mutants. Introduced my son to it and he's really liking it, too.
    It is in the X-Men universe. My son reliably informed me that he is Professor X's son.
  • Options
    Homeland is getting going again - great episode and now there is a 2 week break!

Also getting back into Fortitude - up to ep 6 or 7 I think
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the 2nd series of No Offence on channel 4, not your regular Police / Detective series, but vey good. Plus that Elaine Cassidy of a proper sort.
  • Options

Homeland is getting going again - great episode and now there is a 2 week break!

Also getting back into Fortitude - up to ep 6 or 7 I think

We only started watching homeland in August and binged watched all the way to current season. Most annoying having two week break.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Great American Train Journeys .. Portillo does the US .. trains play only a smallish role in what is essentially a homogenised potted history of American expansionism especially westward .. on iPlayer .. but if you wanna see them, the first episodes are being 'deleted' from next Wednesday
  • Options
    Last season of Black Sails on Amazon is really good, been a great series from the first episode.
  • Options
    Anyone watched Tunnel? A series that brings together the English and French police at the start due to a body found in the channel tunnel. Have quite enjoyed it. esp the performance of Elise. Now on series 2.
  • Options

Anyone watched Tunnel? A series that brings together the English and French police at the start due to a body found in the channel tunnel. Have quite enjoyed it. esp the performance of Elise. Now on series 2.

Am I right in thinking that this is just "the bridge" remade in English?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Never seen 'the Bridge' so I wouldn't know. Someone else may.
  • Options
    Yes same as the Bridge . Awesome TV
  • Options
    @PragueAddick the Team had a very promising start last night. Is on More 4 next week as well.
  • Options
    Yes, it's based on 'the bridge'. However I haven't seen 'tunnel' so don't know how closely it follows the original plot.
  • Options
    I might give that a go.
    Sorry to say I gave up on The Bridge because I just get pissed off with subtitles after a while.
  • Options

@PragueAddick the Team had a very promising start last night. Is on More 4 next week as well.

I watched it, and agree. Another good call from you, much appreciated.

For those who didn't catch it, it is about a series of related crimes in three different countries, so Europol gets involved to ensure the co-operation of the three national forces. I think the series will portray the difficulties of that co-operation as a sub-plot.

Well here is the funny thing. The three forces involved are the Danes (familiar actor in that role speaking mainly flawless English), the Germans, and the Belgians.

Guess which of the three are looking a bit dodgy? :-)