Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:

Finished Haunting of Hill House the other night. Really enjoyed it, confusing at times but overall a very clever series.

Does anybody have suggestions of what to move onto next? Preferably on Netflix.

Finished it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot.
  • Options
    Just watched first two episodes of Trust. It is excellent.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @Croydon have a look at The Sinner. Bill Pullman as a dysfunctional detective. Quite creepy storylines.
    Season 2 just been released and I’m already half way through.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

@Croydon have a look at The Sinner. Bill Pullman as a dysfunctional detective. Quite creepy storylines.
    Season 2 just been released and I’m already half way though.

Cheers mate, sounds good. Will give that a go!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Little Drummer Girl. I’m still none the wiser. Is it just me?

Stick with it, it's class.
    Hmm. It has classy production values, that much is true. I am with Large on this so far.

It's in 6 parts. You can't have everything clear and explained by episode 2? Where's the fun in that?
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Hmm. It has classy production values, that much is true. I am with Large on this so far.

It's in 6 parts. You can't have everything clear and explained by episode 2? Where's the fun in that?
    Agreed. If by half way through the series, you still care one way or another.

How much tension did you feel,watching last night? Remember the Night Manager? If Hugh Laurie's brilliant portrayal of total moral corruption wasn't terrifying enough, there was bloody Corky to deal with. The 80s Tinker Tailor managed to keep an air of low level menace throughout entire episodes when nothing much appeared to be happening. This lot? Pah! A loving collection of European landscapes and period automobiles for sure. Well great. But a lot of the time last night it seemed to want to get into comedy territory. It's something like a cross between Life on Mars and Deutschland 83.

Turkey.

• Options
    I haven’t seen last nights yet but I love it.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I haven’t seen last nights yet but I love it.

Nor me, but enjoyed the first two.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

How much tension did you feel,watching last night? Remember the Night Manager? If Hugh Laurie's brilliant portrayal of total moral corruption wasn't terrifying enough, there was bloody Corky to deal with. The 80s Tinker Tailor managed to keep an air of low level menace throughout entire episodes when nothing much appeared to be happening. This lot? Pah! A loving collection of European landscapes and period automobiles for sure. Well great. But a lot of the time last night it seemed to want to get into comedy territory. It's something like a cross between Life on Mars and Deutschland 83.

Turkey.

The wife has binned this off after 2nd episode.
    Should I bother to plod on and watch this on my own @PragueAddick ?
    Had similar views to you on Night Manager but wasn't quite as enamoured with McMafia as you (poor leading man in my opinion rather than the story)

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Turkey.

The wife has binned this off after 2nd episode.
    Should I bother to plod on and watch this on my own @PragueAddick ?
    Had similar views to you on Night Manager but wasn't quite as enamoured with McMafia as you (poor leading man in my opinion rather than the story)

Well I will probably see it through, although on catchup. The odd thing is that Le Carre's family seem to be heavily involved in it - his two sons seem to be producers, and - although I missed it- he made a cameo appearance himself in last night's episode. He has been critical of past screen versions of his work, so you have to suppose that he has been happy to have had the input on this one. From what I have read audiences are 50:50 on this, so dont let me put you off. I think on reflection you were right about McMafia too. I think I wanted it to be better than it really was, what with a Czech local hero in the cast.

• Options
    Just caught the last 3 minutes of Sally4Ever. Probably the most disturbing 3 minutes I have ever watched.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched episodes 3&4 of Little Drummer Girl. Love it.
  • Options

Just caught the last 3 minutes of Sally4Ever. Probably the most disturbing 3 minutes I have ever watched.

There are some genuinely shocking but extremely funny scenes in this.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Watched episode 4. Love the regular appearances of the Citroen DS19, both the saloon and Safari version. Oh and the old London bus conductor with his ticket machine.

"Life on Mars", at half pace....

• Options

Riviera said:

Watched episode 4. Love the regular appearances of the Citroen DS19, both the saloon and Safari version. Oh and the old London bus conductor with his ticket machine.

You've slagged it off from the start and every week. Why do you keep watching it? The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Watched Season 1 of this over the weekend, thought it was fantastic. Pullman and Jessica Biel were brilliant as the main characters.
    Looking forward to starting Season 2 tonight.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Watched Season 1 of this over the weekend, thought it was fantastic. Pullman and Jessica Biel were brilliant as the main characters.
    I thought The Sinner series 1 has one of the weakest endings I've seen from a TV series. Im hoping Series 2 is better.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

You've slagged it off from the start and every week. Why do you keep watching it? The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks
    Because I cannot quite believe that a serialisation of a le Carre novel, with the apparent involvement of both the author and family members, cannot improve.

• Options
    I think you may be getting le Carre mixed up with Robert Ludlum.
  • Options
    So far Better Call Saul and Killing Eve have been the best two TV series this year in my view.
    The unleashing of the last/latest series of House of Cards is an abomination, truly a polished turd rolled in glitter. Makes the old ITV soap opera Crossroads look like the best ever Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet.
    WTF were they thinking?
  • Options

Valley11 said:

Valley11 said:

I thought The Sinner series 1 has one of the weakest endings I've seen from a TV series. Im hoping Series 2 is better.
    I'm 5 episodes into s1 and enjoying it so far, hopefully the ending isn't as bad as VG says!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Valley11 said:

Valley11 said:

I'm 5 episodes into s1 and enjoying it so far, hopefully the ending isn't as bad as VG says!
    Quite enjoyed s1 ending myself, planning on watching S2 soon.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Valley11 said:

Valley11 said:

Its the eventual plot holes that did it for me. I won't say anymore as i don't want to cloud your judgement of what was a decent TV series.
  • Options
    Louis Theroux - 2nd episode last night.
    Change of pace from the 1st (which was quite light hearted and probably didn't directly relate to many peoples lifestyle), this was a much more emotional led piece on assisted suicide and choosing death.

I didn't know it was legal in 6 states.

A lady featured described the process as "I'm trying to make the last bit less bad".

Also featured 'exit guides' who I can only describe as very creepy, helping people (not always terminally ill) to die in what seemed like the most horrific scenarios.

Thought provoking and worth an hour of your time.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Ho ho ho, guvnor.

anyway, you inspired me to go to the great man's Wiki page and remind myself of all the film- TV series based on his novels that I have seen. Strictly my own opinion of course, but..

as bad as or not much better than TLDG: Our kind of Traitor, the Tailor of Panama,
    Significantly better: The Russia House, The Constant Gardener, Tinker Taylor (the 2011 film), a Most Wanted Man
    Different Planet: Tinker Tailor, Smiley's People, A Perfect Spy, The Night Manager.

Doubt that the great man would agree with me though. He has said he's been very unhappy with some of the screen adaptations. Presumably for that reason, in 2010 two of his sons set up a production company, the Ink Factory (Wiki says). Of their four, I've nominated two, including TLDG, as turkeys. But they also produced The Night Manager.

• Options

Change of pace from the 1st (which was quite light hearted and probably didn't directly relate to many peoples lifestyle), this was a much more emotional led piece on assisted suicide and choosing death.

A lady featured described the process as "I'm trying to make the last bit less bad".

Also featured 'exit guides' who I can only describe as very creepy, helping people (not always terminally ill) to die in what seemed like the most horrific scenarios.

Just watched it mate. Missus was in bits, and I’ll be honest the last 10 mins was really tough. Theroux was superb again tho.
  • Options

Just watched it mate. Missus was in bits, and I’ll be honest the last 10 mins was really tough. Theroux was superb again tho.
    Silence more poignant than words. Louis Theroux is the master.
  • Options
    I just finished all five seasons of Bates Motel last week. It was so great I literally couldn't stop. I noticed this show back when it just started in 2013. But I'm never a fan of horror films and I don't like wacky themes. I like normal stories. So I didn't have any interest in it. I watched The Good Doctor in September and really liked Freddie Highmore so I picked up Bates Motel and I'm so glad I gave it a try. It's nothing like what I thought it was. It's not scary at all. In fact it could be viewed as a very good family drama. Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are both superb. I think Vera should have won an Emmy! She played the mother so amazingly well. The series has some plotholes but overall very entertaining. It ended in a really good way and I was relieved the writers didn't kill my favourite character.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Ho ho ho, guvnor.

anyway, you inspired me to go to the great man's Wiki page and remind myself of all the film- TV series based on his novels that I have seen. Strictly my own opinion of course, but..

as bad as or not much better than TLDG: Our kind of Traitor, the Tailor of Panama,
    Significantly better: The Russia House, The Constant Gardener, Tinker Taylor (the 2011 film), a Most Wanted Man
    Different Planet: Tinker Tailor, Smiley's People, A Perfect Spy, The Night Manager.

Doubt that the great man would agree with me though. He has said he's been very unhappy with some of the screen adaptations. Presumably for that reason, in 2010 two of his sons set up a production company, the Ink Factory (Wiki says). Of their four, I've nominated two, including TLDG, as turkeys. But they also produced The Night Manager.

The Spy who Came in from The Cold? In the top category IMO

Didn't know there had been an adaptation of A Perfect Spy. Loved the book so must find it.

• Options
    seth plum said:

So far Better Call Saul and Killing Eve have been the best two TV series this year in my view.

They'd be 2 and 3 for me. Succession is the best thing I've watched this year. Honourable mentions for season 2 of the Deuce and the Marvellous Mrs Maisel.

• Options

Silence more poignant than words. Louis Theroux is the master.
    Watched this last night, brilliant episode, probably one of the best he's done. The last 10 mins as you said were really difficult to watch but dealt with very respectfully by Louis. Very raw TV which really got to me.