Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2012 | Quarter Final | England vs. Italy | 19.45 | Match Preview & Predictions & Reaction

FIFA Rankings

England 6, Italy 12

Spain Avoided, but Italians are a Threat

Finishing top of Group D ensured that the English missed facing the World and current European champions Spain until at least the final but to have any hope of being included in next Sunday’s preview, Roy Hodgson’s men need to overcome a strong Italian outfit. Although the Azzurri only won once in the Group stages, much like England, pundits expected a struggle in a group that included Spain and Croatia so they are not to be taken lightly.

England once again took the ‘Chelsea Approach’ to defeating Ukraine by freely conceding possession and territory, confident that their organised back line could cope. And they did. Just. The return of Wayne Rooney made everyone a little bit more positive, but the lack of match sharpness was there for all to see and the fans and his teammates hope that he’ll be able to add an extra 10% worth of quality to see us progress into the last four. Scott Parker and Steven Gerrard are going to have to work their socks off to keep up with an extremely talented Italian midfield whilst still being able to offer opportunities to though further up the field.

The Italians will be without central defender Giorgio Chiellini which is a blow, but the midfield three of Pirlo, De Rossi and the passed-fit Thiago Motta pose the greatest threat to England’s goal. Up top, it seems a toss up between Mario Balotelli and Di Natale to partner Cassano who has come on an incredible journey since his heart surgery at the back end of 2011.

Predictions

Everyone is expecting this quarter-final to be a tetchy affair with many predicting a close game. I’ve got a feeling though that many could be surprised by how open it could be, although goals still may be hard to come by. 1-0 England (AET).

Ones to Watch

England: Steven Gerrard. England’s lynchpin in the tournament so far and he’ll need to be on the top of his game to cope with a fluid Italian midfield.
Italy: Mario Balotelli. Whether he starts or not, he’s a player to watch. He’ll either score an own goal and get sent off or put our three lions to the sword with his quality.

Odds

England – 19/10
Italy – 21/11
Draw – 2/1

Comments

• 2-1 England AET.
  • tough call but we'll squeak it by one goal or win on pens
  • England V Italy 1-1 ( 11-2 Coral )
    Young to score anytime ( 5-1 totesport )
    England to win on Penalties ( 10-1 Skybet )

* Yesterday Alonso to score anytime came in at 13-2
  • England will win this, there will be no excuses if they don't do so. Although the Italians always come good at tournaments, this is the weakest squad they've put out in a long time. Our midfield needs to stop Pirlo playing, he likes to have time on the ball, Terry and Lescott should have little problem with the Italian strikers. Carroll up front please and let's make a Buffoon outa Buffon .. England 2 v Italy 0
  • 4-1 Italy, all our dreams dashed once again...
  • 1-0 to Italy
  • 3-1 England, provided the reff keeps his eyes on their cheating. If not 1-0 Italy.
  • I still think we can win this so going 2-1.
  • 1-1 ft 2-1 england aet
  • Sponsored links:

• Think they said lastnight that Balotelli got the nod.

1-1 if he manages to stay on the pitch, 2-0 if he has another dig at Parker
  • Where are Italy in the World rankings?

I am going for a 2-1 (AET) victory with Rooney and Stevie G on the scoresheet for us. A Pirlo free-kick for them.

I really hope the pub I work in isn't busy as I want to watch some of the game!!
  • Think it will go to extra time. 0-0 then Italy nick it 1-0.
  • Penalties.
  • Lots of confident shorelines there....

• Lots of confident shorelines there....

Yup, it's a beach trying to predict this one.
  • 2 - 0 to Italy. Tight game with England with two banks of four. Don't see England having enough possession to hurt an Italian defence.
  • 3-1 England, provided the reff keeps his eyes on their cheating. If not 1-0 Italy.
    ...and turns a blind one to Young's diving? Or is that not cheating?

Very tricky to call this one and for that reason I can see a sending off for us, a draw, extra time pen's and us to go through.
  • 50% - Settled in 90 minutes
    25% - Settled in Extra Time
    25% - Settled on penalties

• Heart says England to win.

Head says England nearly always lose in the Quarters or whenever they play a decent side, they are not playing great football (Capello would be crucified for playing this way) ............

............but but but Hodgson is a clever coach, gets his teams to be more than the sum of their parts and if Gerrard doesn't gift the Italians a penalty or open goal, Rooney doesn't let himself get wound up and Terry doesn't allow himself to get dragged out of position then we could do it, by jove, we could do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3-2 Italy et
  • FIFA Rankings

England 6, Sweden 12

So we're playing Sweden, thats alot easier than I thought then. ; )

Seriously we're going to win 1-0 in AET.
  • one goal either way.
  • Massive game. Will be in such a good mood tomorrow if we do it. Come on England.
  • come on lads! beat those pasta munchers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oGWpgQw3q0
  • Evening All: Quick straw poll: I've got 1 sleeping left this month: Do I take it A).At H/T. B). 90mins. C). 120mins or D). Now ?
  • The a hole is twitching like a rabbits nose. Come on uncle roys barmy white army
  • Does anyone have a internet link. In India and not on at hotel Ta
  • I just shat my pants
  • Does anyone have a internet link. In India and not on at hotel Ta
    firstrowsport