Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Bowie

There was some excellent stuff on BBC4 Friday night, which I watched today on demand.

21.00 David Bowie and The Story of Ziggy Stardust 1hr.

22.00 The Genius of David Bowie 1hr of his songs.

23.00 Film/Documentary Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars 1.5 hrs.

Comments

• will check it out. Bowie created my interest in music, seeing him and Ronno performing Starman on totp.
  • Any one who missed the Ziggy documentary it is on again 12.20am Monday morning followed by Bowie at the BBC a concert at the BBC Radio Theatre well worth Sky +
  • edited June 2012
    will check it out. Bowie created my interest in music, seeing him and Ronno performing Starman on totp.
    They showed that in "The Genius of ..."
    They said it had only been rediscovered and shown recently for the first time since 1973.

Come to think of it, I nearly got the sack at work due to Bowie.
    I had tickets for one of his (I think Serious Moonlight tour about '82 Milton Keynes Bowl) gigs & the boss wouldn't let me have time off. I said I'm going whatever you say.
    Thankfully he relented eventually & gave me a days hol.
  • Beckenham/Bromley lad.
  • Beckenham/Bromley lad.
    He actually comes from Brixton but did live in Beckenham.

I (sadly) used to stand outside his house at lunchtimes when I was at Sedgehill. I think it was Beckenham Road just down from the park.

• edited June 2012
    It was great stuff wasn't it.
    I was hoping they would include the Cracked Actor documentary from '74, but in any case I discovered somebody had put the whole thing up on youtube, so I watched that after the other lot had finished.
    Bowie really was the artist of the 70's for me; as pop became bland, rock ran out of ideas; prog disappeared up its own arse and punk came and went within 2 years
  • Serious Moonlight was '83 first time I saw him live, skipped my Sixth Form induction day to go to Milton Keynes needless to say it didn't go down well when I told them David Bowie was more important.
  • Born in Brixton but grew up in suburban Beckenham.

Went to school with Peter Frampton at what is now Ravens Wood in Keston.

Great artist, shame about the nazi salute which to be fair he apoLogised for. Owes a huge debt to his influences Newly and Reed but he did co-produce (with Mick Ronson) Transforner so fair enough.

Young Americans is my fav but Ziggy is a classic.
  • Serious Moonlight was '83 first time I saw him live, skipped my Sixth Form induction day to go to Milton Keynes needless to say it didn't go down well when I told them David Bowie was more important.
    Touche.
    NB I'm confident he also lived in Plaistow Grove off Plaistow Lane, Sundridge Park, Bromley.
  • Owes a huge debt to his influences Newly and Reed but he did co-produce (with Mick Ronson) Transforner so fair enough.

All artists owe a debt to their influences and Bowie has always been open about his.
    In fact Bowie had a big hand in spreading the word in the UK about the fantastic Velvet Underground.
    I'd go further and say Lou Reed owes Bowie the bigger debt for rescuing a dead-in-the-water solo career
  • Sponsored links:

• You saw him Covered End.
    Sad/ashamed to say I never did.
  • You caught yourself a trick down on Sunset and Vine
    But let me tell ya baby, you're a porcupine.

I'm an alligator
    I'm a mamma pappa coming for you

She's a tongue twisting storm and comes to the show tonight
    praying to the light machine

Don't let the sun blast your shadow
    don't let the milk-floats ride your mind

Love is careless in it's choosing
    skipping over, cross a baby

GENIUS.
  • edited June 2012
    I saw bits of some of these programmes - recorded them so will catch up later. David Bowie is unquestionably one of the most influential rock artists this country has ever produced. He was perhaps the first to understand the value of self-reinvention; he pushed boundaries and turned out consistently innovative music for more than a decade. According to Christopher Sandford's biography, 'Loving the Alien', Bowie's family moved from Brixton to Bromley in 1953, when David was 6 years old. They eventually settled in Plaistow Grove, where David lived until the mid sixties, then on and off until around 1969, when he moved in with a girlfriend in Beckenham. He attended Burnt Ash Junior School and Bromley Tech, now Ravenswood School, in Hayes/Keston.
  • Born in Brixton but grew up in suburban Beckenham.

Went to school with Peter Frampton at what is now Ravens Wood in Keston.

Great artist, shame about the nazi salute which to be fair he apoLogised for. Owes a huge debt to his influences Newly and Reed but he did co-produce (with Mick Ronson) Transforner so fair enough.

Young Americans is my fav but Ziggy is a classic.
    I went to Ravens Wood and Peter Frampton's Dad was my art teacher.

I watched most of the stuff last night. Some of it I hadn't seen before.

To me Bowie is quite simply an iconic figure who re-invented himself time and again.

Ziggy is an absolute classic, but Hunky Dory was a fantastic album.

My favourite Bowie track of all time is All The Madman from The Man Who Sold The World Album

Day after day
    They send my friends away
    To mansions cold and grey
    To the far side of town
    Where the thin men stalk the streets
    While the sane stay underground

Day after day
    They tell me I can go
    They tell me I can blow
    To the far side of town
    Where it's pointless to be high
    'Cause it's such a long way down
    So I tell them that
    I can fly, I will scream, I will break my arm

I will do me harm
    Here I stand, foot in hand, talking to my wall
    I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Don't set me free, I'm as heavy as can be
    Just my librium and me
    And my E.S.T. makes three

'Cause I'd rather stay here
    With all the madmen
    Than perish with the sadmen roaming free

And I'd rather play here
    With all the madmen
    For I'm quite content they're all as sane as me

(Where can the horizon lie
    When a nation hides
    Its organic minds in a cellar...dark and grim
    They must be very dim)

Day after day
    They take some brain away
    Then turn my face around
    To the far side of town
    And tell me that it's real
    Then ask me how I feel

Here I stand, foot in hand, talking to my wall
    I'm not quite right at all
    Don't set me free, I'm as helpless as can be
    My libido's split on me
    Gimme some good 'ole lobotomy

With all the madmen
    Than perish with the sadmen
    Roaming free And I'd rather play here
    With all the madmen
    For I'm quite content
    They're all as sane as me
    Zane, Zane, Zane Ouvre le Chien [rpt]

• My favourite Bowie track of all time is All The Madman from The Man Who Sold The World Album

With all the madmen
    Than perish with the sadmen
    Roaming free And I'd rather play here
    With all the madmen
    For I'm quite content
    They're all as sane as me

Three of my favourite Bowie songs are either directly or obliquely concerned with mental illness (All the madmen; After All and The Bewlay Brothers).
    I read later that Bowie had a very close relationship with his step brother Terry, a charismatic mentor and confidante to Bowie who's personality deteriorated dramatically upon the onset of schizophrenia.
    He spent years in and out of those outdated Victorian type institutions, and I believe I read that the chorus to All the Madmen as reproduced in your post, was the gist of a quote by Terry Jones to his half brother
  • Saw him just before he became famous at Avery Hill teacher training College,as it was then.He was really good and looked destined to become a star.Have followed his career ever since.The Hunky Dory album for me was his best.What i liked about Bowie was that the music was tied in with a visual show.
  • 1) Hunky Dory
    2) Aladdin Sane
    3) The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust

Got me into music in the'70's before punk. A true legend.
    Touche.
    NB I'm confident he also lived in Plaistow Grove off Plaistow Lane, Sundridge Park, Bromley.
    Correct CE........... he did live in Plastow Grove.

• You caught yourself a trick down on Sunset and Vine
    But let me tell ya baby, you're a porcupine.

I'm an alligator
    I'm a mamma pappa coming for you

She's a tongue twisting storm and comes to the show tonight
    praying to the light machine

Don't let the sun blast your shadow
    don't let the milk-floats ride your mind

Love is careless in it's choosing
    skipping over, cross a baby

GENIUS.
    Or pretentious, nonsensical old cobblers, depending on your point of view...
  • At the time, these lyrics were vying for popularity with:

Little Willy, Willy won't go home
    but you can't push Willy round, Willy won't go.

OR

I told you once before and I won't tell you no more
    Get down get down get down
    You're a bad dog, baby, but I still want you around.

I'll take the Bowie lyrics thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed! Hey I like Pink Floyd, so I know all about pretentious old cobblers Phil.
  • Used to play at the village hall in Cudham by The Blacksmiths...
  • Huge Bowie fan. seen him live more times than I can remember over the years.
  • Bowie's birthday tomorrow. Very strong rumours he will announce tour and appearance at Glastonbury.
  • Riviera said:

Bowie's birthday tomorrow. Very strong rumours he will announce tour and appearance at Glastonbury.

Will be very surprised if he does a tour again, has had major health issues.

If he did tour again he would pack out the biggest venues easily and sell them like *that*.
  • Not to me he wouldn't. I'm a massive fan but he can't hack it live anymore.
  • Riviera said:

Bowie's birthday tomorrow. Very strong rumours he will announce tour and appearance at Glastonbury.

If he did tour again he would pack out the biggest venues easily and sell them like *that*.
    I made that up anyway.
  • Happy 67th David.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I made that up anyway.
    Good for you.
  • Thanks, I make a lot of things up.