Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan McDonald - Passed away at 48

Sky reporting that he has collapsed & died on golf course. Remember him on loan to us when he was a youngster with QPR. Helluva young age to go. RIP.

Edit: now on BBC as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18562229

Comments

• Yep, remember him well, shocking news. R.I.P.
  • Terrible news. RIP Alan
  • Dear God. I reached 50 this year & I'm glad each day that I wake up.
    RIP so so young.
  • That's a shock. Cracking player for us and QPR.
  • Did a great job for us......good player was Alan.
    RIP Alan....RIP.
  • Remember him well, a cool, calm defeder: a class act. Terrible shame: thoughts go out to his family. RIP.
  • Rip no age what so ever ,
  • I Remember him too. Good Player - RIP Alan
  • A great shame. He was a class above when he came to us and it was disappointing that we couldn't sign him.
    RIP
  • I'm shocked by this news. Some Charlton fans may know that I spent a year at Swindon Town in the 1998/99 season as Joint CEO before returing to Charlton and Alan was a player/coach during my time there. He was a great guy and I remember having long chats with him about the game in general and the club during my year at the County Ground. He always spoke fondly of his time at Charlton too. Alan was always happy to help me and my colleagues on commercial matters at the Club - we launched a popular matchday service to our Executive Club together whereby Alan would come up before kick-off and tell the supporters the team news - and it is so sad to hear that he has passed away at such a young age.

Sad day
  • Sponsored links:

• He made his league debut for us before QPR when on loan. I reckon his performances that season saved us from relegation in the early '80's. He got sent off at Barnsley in penultimate game of the season but we held on for a vital 0-0. Remember his interview after the 0-0 Wembley draw England v NI "It was not a fix" as both sides qualified for the WC Finals.

RIP Alan
  • RIP
  • Quality for us....RIP
  • Shocking and very sad. RIP
  • Played 9 games at the end of the 82/83 season - incl the 3-3 comeback at home to Wolves.

Gates of 5000 at the Valley in those days !

RIP
  • So sad. RIP.
  • A great player for us and went on to be a great player for QPR. 48 is no age at all. Very sad news. RIP
  • Was a quality bloke, put a lot back into his home country too.

RIP Big Man.
  • 48 !!! ... far too young .. R I P
  • Sponsored links:

• (non Charlton) - Sad day for football, remember him in his QPR days, RIP and thoughts with his family.
  • Very sad news, very good player. RIP Alan.
  • RIP - his contribution to the cause in 82/83 kept us up ,we were always slightly too poor to buy him .Top player
  • Just heard this on the radio on the way back from the golf course myself. Shocking news that someone only a few years older than myself he passed away whilst doing the same thing. Remember his time with us well and he was a very good player indeed. RIP Alan.
  • Played 9 games at the end of the 82/83 season - incl the 3-3 comeback at home to Wolves.

Gates of 5000 at the Valley in those days !

RIP
    Shows how impressive he was, if we all remember him well from only 9 appearances 29 years ago !
  • That's shocking news. He was a fantastic young player with us and had an excellent career. RIP
  • without his defensive displays in those 9 games we would of gone down.

RIP
  • Watched him plenty of times against, always wished we could sign him.

A terrific player, what a tragic loss.
  • Has there been a better loan signing?

RIP Alan