Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro QF - Germany vs Greece

Friday 22nd June
Kick Off: 7-45pm

Fifa Rankings:
Germany 3
Greece 15

The tournament's second quarter final provides us with a David vs Goliath showdown. On Friday night in Gdansk, European and world heavyweights Germany take on minnows Greece for a place in the semi final. Greece will be looking to emulate their Euro 2004 campaign where they upset the odds and went all the way to glory.

Road to the Quarters:
The Greeks come into the game with a reputation for being a low scoring side, this is shown by the fact that in the finals, they have scored just one goal a game. Their Euro 2012 campaign started with a 1-1 draw with co-hosts Poland, in what was a dramatic opening game. After going a goal down, and losing a man to a somewhat harsh red card (Sokratis Papastathopoulos was booked twice for two soft challenges) Salpingidis fired in the equaliser after the restart before he was brought down by keeper Szczesny, who was shown a straight red. Later in the half, Karagounis's penalty was saved by substitute Tyton. A slow start in their second game saw the Greeks surrender to the Czech Republic, after conceding two goals in the first six minutes they left themselves with far too much to do. Their final game was a hard fought 1-0 win over Russia, who, after their first game, we're beginning to be tipped as outsiders. This was mainly due to people being under the assumption that they'd progress from their group following their performances in their first two games. Nonetheless the Greeks went ahead through stalwart Karagounis, and held on to seal their place in the last eight.

The Germans have had a strong set of group games that has seen them stand out as favourites to win the tournament overall. Their first game was a workmanlike 1-0 win over Portugal. A single goal from Mario Gomez was enough to help Joachim Low's men get off to a flying start in what was dubbed 'The Group of Death'. It was the same man who helped seal another three points when they met Holland a few days later. Gomez helped himself to a brace in a 2-1 victory over the Dutch as Germany left their bitter rivals on the verge of going home early. The final group game saw another win by the same scoreline. It was a little more tense affair for Germany, who were pushed to the limit by an impressive Danish outfit. Podolski had put them ahead, before Krohn-Delhi drew Denmark level six minutes later. With ten minutes to go Lars Bender was able to poke the ball home to send the Germans through to the quarter finals.

Ones to Watch:
Karagounis - Greece
Gomez - Germany

Odds:
Greece 8/1
Germany 4/11

Prediction:
As much as everyone loves an upset, its hard to see past Germany progressing to the semi finals. The Germans have taken the lead in all three matches at Euro 2012, going on to win all of those games and have never lost a European Championship quarter final.

Germany 3-0 Greece

Comments

• edited June 2012
    The Euromeisters v The Euromisers .. Germany 2 v Greece 0
  • Karagounis is suspended for tonights game.
  • Can see a game similar to last night's with Greece defending with 10 men behind the ball. Germany will surely have too much for them. 2-0.
  • Germany V Greece 2-0 score ( 5-1 ladbrokes )
    Gomez to score anytime ( Evens PaddyPower )
    Last Goalscorer - Klose ( 11-2 Betfair )
  • Can't see beyond a win for the Ethels. It will be as one sided as last night, but as the Germans have more than one player who can put a shot on target I expect them to score a few.
  • A 3 nil walkover to Germany after the Greeks walk off after 55 minutes expecting the German side to complete the game for them.
  • Sincerely hope Germany win this. Greece bore me to tears.
  • COME ON YOU GREEKS!!!!!
  • insult to injury. greeks to win 2-1.
  • If the Bubbles do win it the Germans will end up having to pay for their hotel for a few more days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Photobucket
    Ever so true?
  • Kevin Keegan moment - I'd LOVE it if Greece won this!
  • 1-0 Greece. England beat them in the semi - this would be a perfect world.

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2012
    1-0 Greece. England beat them in the semi - this would be a perfect world.

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can get 25-1 on that.
  • This was a classic Germany v Greece game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8
  • Rumours that Podolski, Gomez and Muller all not playing....with Reus, Klose and Schurrle starting...
  • 1-0 Germany
  • you're right about those rumours..massive disrespect shown by the arrogant Germans.

hope greece make them pay.
  • Can't believe they are dropping Gomez and muller. Shows massive arrogance. I was just about to lump a fair bit of money on them. Hope the Greece win this now.
  • I hope that German arrogance with the changed side comes back and bites them on the arse. Cant see it though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure about arrogance tbf. It's a tournament and games come around fast. If he thinks he can still win the game (against the weakest opposition left) and give some of his players some extra recovery time then that's up to him and he'll stand or fall accordingly. Maybe they are carrying knocks?

Let's be honest, his "reserves" are not exactly bad players to be bringing in are they (...I mean Klose fer gawds sake!) and maybe he wants to give them an opportunity to stake a claim for a start.
  • Can't believe despite playing a weakened side there's still no place for mario gotze - we want Gotze !

How many references to the Euro crisis do you think we'll have to endure tonight ?
  • How many references to the Euro crisis do you think we'll have to endure tonight ?
    Endless?
  • Get in. Won my bet and Greece nick one.

Now watch Germany unleash Gomez/podolski/muller
  • 'They've wiped the debt clean'. Love it.
  • Come on greece.
  • Khedira put manners on that
  • Ah well it was nice while it lasted

Don't think they'll bother now...

Don't think they'll bother now...
    1 on but think they can leave Gomez out now. Podolski may well come on