Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Kean to remain Blackburn Manager!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18532449

That will please the Blackburn fans, they are on a downward spiral and i can really see them struggling this year in the CCC.

Comments

• The Venky's want a yes man and that's why they are sticking with the manager. You have got to feel a little bit sorry for the fans.
  • My lord... I reckon as they drop through the league he will need physical protection from fans...

Ludicrous destruction of an establish prem club by a very strange bunch of owners... I still can't see how they can't or won't make changes... I read that thread about the conspiracy but I still don't get how anyone can make money our of a collapsing club...

I'd imagine than dull, numb pain of watching your club collapse is well and truly where Blackburn are and with these muppets in charge it looks likely to continue...
  • Great News for Charlton fans!
  • edited June 2012
    Keane must be so relieved, can't see him getting a job anywhere else in football, apart from the alleged stabbing of Big Sam, he has taken the club to its knees aided byh the chicken farmers.

Still he will need his wages with Sam pursuing hiom throuigh the courts
  • edited June 2012
    I fancy Blackburn to do well next season. The bookies however do not fancy them at all
  • I reckon top ten.
  • Really depends who they keep and buy. The Yak has gone, Samba and Nelsen left in Jan, Hoilett sure to go and if they lose Robinson and Dann then there needs to be serious investment imho for them to be challenging.

Feel sorry for their fans, not their fault they have joke owners.
  • edited June 2012
    Don't feel too sorry. They have lived off a rich benefactor for 20 years. If it wasn't for Jack Walker they would have remained Championship/League 1 level.
  • Good news indeed
  • Part of me admires his attitude for not quitting and part of me thinks he is in the wrong for staying.

Not because he is half responsible for their relegation but because he should walk away for his family's sake. They must have gone through hell for the last year with the amount of abuse.

How someone like him can get out of bed and go to work in the morning and still feel a desire is beyond me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally think all the talk of how Kean has handled the situation with dignity is bull, if he had any dignity he would surely cut his losses and try to rebuild his previously respected coaching reputation elsewhere. The fact is, he has failed badly at Blackburn, anywhere else he would have been sacked and there is very little chance he will be able to change the fans minds and salavage the situation.

Also as mentioned above, his family must have gone through a pretty bad time in the last 18months which is not likely to improve.
  • Kean is entirely responsible. If he hadn't convinced the venkys to get rid of big sam they would still be in the premiership. Either they haven't got a clue about football, kean has got something on them or blackburn losses are some kind of tax write off. Very weird.
  • edited June 2012

Ludicrous destruction of an establish prem club by a very strange bunch of owners...
    Or a return to a league position which is more commensurate with the supporter base of a club of its size and in a similar geographical location

Blackburn (& Darwen) 108,000 or (140,000)
    Preston 132,000
    Bury (metropolitan borough) 180,000
    Blackpool 140,000
    Rochdale (metropolitan borough) 206,500
    Oldham (metropolitan borough) 217,000

Compare with Charlton's metropolitan population for example

Greenwich - 214,000
    Bexley - 218,000

Let alone Bromley, and parts of Kent

(2001 figures)

My point is that Blackburn Rovers, despite its long history does not have a large enough base of potential fans to secure its position in the top flight and has only done so as @CoveredEnd says, due to the wealth of Jack Walker and his legacy which kept it in the Premier League much longer than you would otherwise expect.
  • Regardless of Walker's money and the fact they have overachieved, still feel for the die hard fans who are watching the new owners ruin the Walker legacy.

They could certainly follow the likes of ourselves with two relegations in 2-3 years.
  • offered 2m for Leon Best of Newcastle

• Ludicrous destruction of an establish prem club by a very strange bunch of owners...
    Or a return to a league position which is more commensurate with the supporter base of a club of its size and in a similar geographical location

Preston 132,000
    Blackpool 140,000

Greenwich - 214,000
    Bexley - 218,000

(2001 figures)

My point is that Blackburn Rovers, despite its long history does not have a large enough base of potential fans to secure its position in the top flight and has only done so as @CoveredEnd says, due to the wealth of Jack Walker and his legacy which kept it in the Premier League much longer than you would otherwise expect.
    Are you really comparing apples with apples there though ? You've given Charlton the combined populations of the boroughs of Bexley and Greenwich yet only accorded Blackburn thenpopulation of the town of that name, there are probably other outlying towns where Blackburn are the "local" te. I would say though that we stayed in Blackpool for the Preston game and got the train from Balckpool to Preston, a tiny local rail line, and on that one stretch of track there was something like five professional teams, it's incredible the amount of clubs for a relatively small population up in that part of the country.

Oh, and Blackburn are screwed with their current ownership structure.
  • edited June 2012
    Pretty sure Kean has something with the owners the way he's kept his job. Can't see them getting promoted.
  • edited June 2012

Ludicrous destruction of an establish prem club by a very strange bunch of owners...

Preston 132,000
    Blackpool 140,000

Greenwich - 214,000
    Bexley - 218,000

(2001 figures)

Are you really comparing apples with apples there though ? You've given Charlton the combined populations of the boroughs of Bexley and Greenwich yet only accorded Blackburn thenpopulation of the town of that name, there are probably other outlying towns where Blackburn are the "local" team.
    I think you answered your own question but actually I didn't do that because you can see, I included Darwen which is part of the urban area which includes Blackburn.

I included a bit of greater London just to compare the respective numbers chimney pots and to show how Charlton is/should be a much bigger potential player than Blackburn. I realise that is a little simplistic, especially in the modern era but we are the largest professional club close to a much larger population than any of the other teams I mentioned.

The substantive point is that Blackburn is a relatively small city, even if you include the surrounding areas (which I did). There are as you say, a large number of pro teams in that area where the towns they represent are quite small and close together. The reason for this goes back to the origins of association football.
  • Pretty sure Kean has something with the owners the way he's kept his job. Can't see them getting promoted.
    The man from Del ewood - he say yes !

• Sponsored links:

• He is there until those pesky Scottish gangsters who really own and run the club say so!!!!
  • Not the McSporrans, surely !!!!
  • Apart from losing all the better players, Yak, Robinson, toilet etc, I can see a struggle for them replacing them. If i was a player i wouldn't want to go anywhere near a club with so much uncertaincy.
  • Looks like Danny Murphy is about to sign for them.