Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2012 QF - Czech Rep. V Portugal, 21st June, 19.45

Czech Republic v Portugal – Thursday 21st June, 7.45pm kick off

FIFA Rankings:
Czech Republic 27
Portugal 10

The quarter finals are upon us, and begin with a match featuring two sides many predicted would be sunning themselves on a beach by now. The Czech Republic topped a group including host nation Poland, pre-tournament dark horses (who after their first game turned out to be pony) and second place Greece. The Portuguese faced an eminently more difficult task in finishing second in a group of death which pitted them against group winners Germany, an extremely disappointing Dutch side and the squad who take home the “Ray Houghton Memorial Spirited Group Performance Award” – Denmark.

Road to the Quarters
After a 4-1 hammering on the opening day of the Championships to a rampant Russian side, which could have been more had Aleksandr Kerzhakov bothered to wear his scoring boots, Michal Bilek was left with an uphill task in coaxing qualification from a side that whilst strong in potential lacked experience as attested by an average age of 26. The Czech’s progress was seemingly further undermined by an inability to rely on the nations two most experienced hands in ‘keeper Petr Cech and Tomas Rosicky who have been poor and injured (for the last game at least) respectively. Rosicky’s traditional place in the middle of an attacking three was filled admirably against the Poles by Daniel Kolar and he is likely to keep his place should the Arsenal midfielder not pass a fitness test scheduled for this afternoon. Kolar/Rosicky will be flanked by the Czech’s two real danger men Petr Jiracek and Vaclav Pilar who have both scored 2 goals so far and will be on the lookout for more. This midfield three support aging modern Czech legend Milan Baros, second in the country’s fledgling all time goal scoring record books. Baros worked hard in each group game yet failed to deliver when presented with good chances – he knows however this could be his last chance to shine in a Czech shirt and cannot be discounted. At the back the Czech defence has looked weak, particularly in light of Cech’s fairly dismal performances so far. However Czech people care not for issues such as defence, topping their group with a negative goal difference is quite some feet and indeed it is the second time they have recorded this achievement doing so in England in 1996 – we all know what they went on to achieve that time...

Paulo Bento’s men provide an eminently more predictable side to preview. The Portuguese were the nation to keep a consistent starting 11 throughout the group stage and as one would expect this 11 is focused on the considerable talents of Cristiano Ronaldo. The worlds second best players stuttering, half time hair style changing, performances came to life in Portugal’s 2-1 comeback against a Dutch team who seemed determined to destroy their individual reputations through dreadful collective performances. The relief on CR7’s face when banging in his second betrayed the frustration he would have felt at the two mediocre performances he put in during the previous group games. Portugal’s frontline is completed by Manchester United winger Nani – if he manages to keep his long range efforts under the bar as he has proved unable to do so far then his threat could be converted into goals and former Spurs misfit Helder Postiga. At the back Bruno Alves and Real bruiser Pepe offer the defensive cover to ‘keeper Rui Patricio who’s thoughts may be distracted by the prospect of facing up to a Yann Kermorgant free kick on the 19th of July in Spain.

Ones to Watch

Czech Republic – Petr Jiracek
Portugal – Cristiano Ronaldo

Odds:
Czech Republic to win 5/1 (Betfair)
Portugal Evens (Betfair)
Draw 3/1 (Betfair)

Prediction

Both teams boast strong attacks and (relatively) weak defences. The Czech backlines ineptness marginally trumps their Portuguese counterparts, mainly due to the really quite awful displays thus far from normally reliable Cech in goal. Expect Ronaldo, Nani and incredibly even Postiga to take advantage.

Czech Republic 1 - Portugal 3

Comments

• really beginning to fancy the Portugese for the tournament.

2-1 tonight.
  • Portugal 3 v Czech Republic 1
  • I'm hoping for a shock tonight and the Czechs nicking it and winning me a bit more than the £350 they presently sit at in the spread bet league.
  • Can see plenty of goals in this one.. most of them for Portugal, sadly..

Czech 2, Portugal 4
  • Anyone but Portugal to win the tournament, otherwise we'd never hear the end of it!
  • why? where do you live? lisbon?
  • Portugal V Czech Rep 3-1 Score (16-1 SkyBet)
    Ronaldo to score anytime ( 11-10 Coral)
    Ronaldo to score 2 or more ( 11-2 Paddy Power )
  • Hope Portugal gets totally effed over by either cheating Czech's or bad ref calls.
    Bunch of cheats, the lot of them.
  • Fancy a draw in 90 mins, Portugal aet
  • Apologies for the shocking English in the preview, I can't log in from my laptop for dome reason do it was mainly written on my iPhone.
  • Sponsored links:

• You deem to be confuding your edded with your seed.
  • I think the pork&cheese might get beat tonight!
  • Did Ronaldo slip there in that pushing and shoving at the corner or just throw himself to the ground?
  • Republics no. 17 looks good

• best bit of goalkeeping I’ve seen so far this tournament. Czech knocking out his own defender. Hope he keeps it up. the good goalkeeping, not the knocking out of his own players.

• Well not only was my preview badly written, my prediction of a high scoring game was also wildly inaccurate !
  • Well not only was my preview badly written, my prediction of a high scoring game was also wildly inaccurate !
    you mentioned Ronaldo as one to watch but apart from that i agree it was badly written ;)

• Anyone but Portugal to win the tournament, otherwise we'd never hear the end of it!
    This.
    This.
    Damm your eyes! I've got them in the office sweep and that £16 winnings is going to get me a handsome night out. And some left over no doubt!