Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welbeck - Overrated?

Obviously influenced by the Rooney thread. I thought I'd like to hear others thoughts.

Personally, I think he's pretty poor. He's impressed me a little in this tournament, but still think he's not that great. To me, it seems he doesnt cause defences barely any trouble. He can finish well, e.g. in the pre-Euro friendly and against Sweden. But I really think that's it. In a few years I reckon i might have him. But right now, he seems like a pretty poor striker. The fact that he has the worst goal/shot ratio of any striker in the PL helps my idea.

But please try to persuade me. I'd be interested to here everyone elses views.

Comments

• I agree - he can't control a ball, he can't pass a ball and he can't tackle. As I have mentioned before, what he does offer is plenty of enthutiasm and the occasional touch of class. I think he's the new Heskey.
  • I agree - he can't control a ball, he can't pass a ball and he can't tackle. As I have mentioned before, what he does offer is plenty of enthutiasm and the occasional touch of class. I think he's the new Heskey.
    So Heskey offered an 'occasional touch of class'?

He's a striker and you're criticising him for not being able to tackle!

We are reaching new heights with criticism of England players this year. Or lows, should I say.
  • The finish against us was amazing. I reckon he has some stuff left to learn, maybe needs to work a bit more on passing and strength. Definitely a great striker though, and he will be even better come the next world cup.
  • Just starting out. Course he's not world class, but cut him some slack.
  • Got some pace, and holds it up ok - and there is no doubt he can finish (last 2 goals for England show that).

However, he is an honourary pupil at the Jason Euell School of First Touch (school motto, second touch is a tackle).
  • Here we go again.

For the record, nobody who regularly starts for a club like Manchester United is "pretty poor". It's as good as an oxy-moron to even suggest it.

Threads like this just confirm that this whole 'low expectation' thing that people are talking about with England is absolute tosh. Regardless of what happens, nobody ever seems to be happy.

I bet if we even win the bloody thing, people will turn around and say "Well we were lucky and probably didn't deserve it. Worst team to win it since so and so".

Tedious!
  • he's a good player, but feel gutted for Benty that he's injured and missed this
  • I think he has something about him. At the moment he is doing better than OK, he certainly offers more than recent forwards e.g. Crouch, Defoe etc. I think that he might just develop into a top class striker, but he won't do that without top class game time.
  • Great prospect has a few things he needs to improve of course but I reckon he will be an England regular from now on
  • he's a good player, but feel gutted for Benty that he's injured and missed this
    Yeah. Bent does a lot more off of the ball than Welbeck.He Seems to wait for things to happen instead of making them happen.When you've got a player like Gerrard that can thread a ball through a needle you've got to give him options.Think Carroll will be a better bet against the I-ties.

• Sponsored links:

• I think Defoe is a much better striker but Welbeck is young and will improve.
  • I could not have seen Bent/Defoe being as cute as Welbeck with the finish against Sweden. For that reason, I find it hard to slate him.
  • Personally not a huge fan of Welbeck. I think there's a decent player in there but he looks rather raw still for me.

As he's got Toblerone feet

That goal against Sweden looked like he was trying to control it (though admittedly I was a long way from the screen it was being shown on)
  • edited June 2012
    i think Alex fergsons face every time welbeck plays sums welbeck up. Basically to me that face describes "yeah he's got talent. yeah he's a young prospect and you got to give him a chance. but my god how many times does he need to fu*k it up in one match"

I know that’s a lot to read in someone’s facial expressions but Alex don’t hide much. He is also a tough master to have.
    oh by ‘fu*k it up’ I mean he's ball control is erratic. You don’t know what he's going to do when the ball comes to him. his passing can be terrible due to confidence he thinks every little flick he does will come of...sometimes they do.
    However because he is raw, enthusiastic and no one quite knows what he's going to do, he becomes a major threat to any defence.
  • edited June 2012
    Peoples expectations are so high.

Last season was his breakthrough season at Man Utd, and to be fair, he began to establish his reputation in the Prem.

And here he is, beyond his wildest dreams a year ago, playing in the Euro finals.
    He's come a long way in a very short time.

I don't see him as international class yet, but as others point out, he's still young.

But in the absence of Darren Bent etc, Welbeck's been thrust into the England side - his manager evidently feels he can do a job.
  • The goal/shot ratio can be one of the most misleading of stats, since it doesn't take into account how difficult any of the chances are.
  • I think he's very overrated but we haven't got much else
  • So he's not a world-beater yet? What he is, is a young English forward who's hungry, athletic, decent in the air, DOES chase back and dispossess defenders, and is already making a name for himself at a major tournament while he gets more experience. He doesn't perhaps have one obvious strength that puts him head & shoulders above all others but his all-round game is developing very well at a time when we were clearly struggling up front. He also comes across very well and will probably only improve at Utd. where he appears eager to learn and develop further, rather than strut around as if he already owns the place. I'm really not sure what the problem is.
  • edited June 2012
    I think he's very overrated but we haven't got much else
    this
  • Personally not a huge fan of Welbeck. I think there's a decent player in there but he looks rather raw still for me.

As he's got Toblerone feet

That goal against Sweden looked like he was trying to control it (though admittedly I was a long way from the screen it was being shown on)
    Ah but for Rooney that is rustiness
  • Sponsored links:

• DOES chase back and dispossess defenders
    Have to take umbrage with you there Paddy.I've not seen much of it.

• Not overrated, at the moment he is a decent premeriship forward who is quite raw but got some good attributes. The fact we have little else in terms of English forwards means he has been fast forwarded.

Unless he really pushes on again (which is possible as he really improved last season), can see him ending up somewhere like Sunderland or Villa where he'll probably have a decent goal record but will never be prolific or "world class".
  • Let's see - Rooney and Wellbeck are both overrated, Cole and Terry are a pair of reprehensible scumbags. Who's next? I don't think Hart can cut it at the highest level so we need a new keeper, Parker is too short and Gerrard is a thug. Hodgson doesn't know his ars from his elbow, bring back Capello or Sven.
  • I don't think Welbeck is overated because he's not that highly rated by the media unlike Rooney, if anything I think that he's underated.
  • reminds me of Andy cole how many sitters did he miss, but playing for utd and perhaps due to his ability to be in the right place he still got a hatful
  • Best of an average bunch, think he'll get better but in a couple of years will probably get sold to a Stoke or Fulham
  • I don't think Welbeck is overated because he's not that highly rated by the media unlike Rooney, if anything I think that he's underated.
    . Spot on. He's only going to get better because of the experience he will get for united and England. He's getting in front of Hernandez and the England strikers which says a lot for someone so young

• What now for Darren Bent at international level?
  • I think he's very overrated but we haven't got much else
    this
    Sorry, I get the impression that playing for England instantly makes somebody 'over-rated'. I don't hear that many people ranting and raving about him.

If anything, people were just pleased that he scored a very good goal in a very important game against Sweden. There's nothing wrong with that!
  • I was stunned by this thread. I cannot believe anyone thinks Welbeck is over-rated, especially given that he's not really rated much at all, compared to the likes of Rooney.

I thought he was superb against Ukraine (much, much better than Rooney) and is one of our brightest sparks. His touch is good, his movement off the ball excellent and his goal against Sweden was sublime - one of the best you'll see all tournament.

He looks like the only striker of international quality we have as far as I'm concerned (unless Rooney wakes up) and has the imagination lacking in much of the rest of the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he did go on to become 'world class'.