Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Terry and Ashley Cole

I would say that among the public except Chelsea fans, these 2 players are the most disliked in the England squad for quite a few reasons.

They are both playing well, so far, so good.

Its a giant IF, but if we did actually win euro2012, would you consider them heroes and clap them if you saw em in a live game?

I would.

If they contribute to bringing glory back home for England it's a big clean slate for me. They have done it on the pitch and that's all that matters.

I don't like these kind of jinx posts because I'm sure we are all feeling positive. It's just a question IF we win the euros.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I admire both as players, especially Terry with his undoubted commitment & said so last night. As individuals they are loathsome. I think the issues are seperate & in any case the Anton Ferdinand case will sway public opinion regarding Terry, regardless of whether we march on in The Euros or not.
  • Nope, one swallow does not a summer make, I don't care how well they do on the pitch because they appear to be scumbags off of it
  • Both very good footballers, both odious individuals though!

If we won (IF) I would not clap them same goes for Andy Carroll!
  • i'll clap for sure. You see John Terry's performance last night for England, and infact the two previous group games, he puts his body on the line for his country, I don't want to be mates with him so I couldn't give a t*ss what he get's up to off the pitch. Play good for England and I'm happy
  • To be fair to Ashley Cole, you cant really put him in the same bracket at Terry, can you?
  • Whats with all this clapping business???
    I'd be pushing for knighthoods.

Seriously look at the way the 1966 lot have been immortalised by the fans, anyone involved in getting us to win this tournament would be a legend in my eyes.
  • I'd argue Bobby Moore had a lot more of a shady personal life than Ashley Cole does...
  • I'd argue Bobby Moore had a lot more of a shady personal life than Ashley Cole does...
    Probably just as well phones didn't have cameras in those days :-)
  • Look here , he never nicked that bracelet .......
  • I didnt think Terry played well against Sweden? He was caught out a few times. He played well last night. None of the England team are 'heroes' whether they win the Euros or not. The only player in that England side I would clap for any other reason outside of when I'm watching England play (if that, as I'm not too fussed about anyone in the side as an individual footballer) is Scott Parker as he used to play for us. The team I choose to support not support by default of where I was born/grew up.

• Sponsored links:

• If we won but JT was banned for the final should he collect the trophy, pushing captain Steven Gerrard out of the way
  • I find it hard to dislike people I don't know.

• I find it hard to dislike people I don't know.

Likewise. But neither does that mean that I particularly respect them in the same way that I do (just for example) Steven Redgrave, who similarly I have never met but won honours for his and my country.
  • In their private lives we only get given information via somebody else, usually a newspaper looking for dirt.

On the pitch you can see everything they do for 90 minutes yourself. Ashley Cole is probably one of the most consistent players we have ever produced.
  • Ashley Cole has been and probably still is one of the best left backs in the world
  • Has disapointed me this tounament though - not defensively but his passing and offensive play has not been up to his usual standard so far IMO
  • Ashley Cole has been and probably still is one of the best left backs in the world
    Seconded.

• Ashley Cole is the best left back we have ever had and has been the best left back in the world for the last 7/8 years and still is

John Terry is a nobhead
  • Has disapointed me this tounament though - not defensively but his passing and offensive play has not been up to his usual standard so far IMO
    Litte harsh. He gets no support from Young defensively, so going forward he has had to be cautious and selective of when to push on.

Found himself in the box as well last night and forced a good save from their keeper.
  • We ain't gonna win it though so this is futile...
  • Sponsored links:

• I never have and still can't see how A.Cole is the best left back in the the world!This always baffles me every time I hear it I just cant see it!
  • Who would you say is better?
  • Who would you say is better?
    This

• Both excellent footballers and in Chelsea's Champions League triumph were magnificent. I obviously don't know them personally but I know I don't like them. Irrational perhaps but that the way it is.
  • If someone was to dish the dirt on the majority of regular people for private mistakes and silly things they have done throughout their lives, then we would all probably be 'dislikeable scumbags'.

Really not bothered about them off the pitch, as I don't believe much of what I read. I would clap them without a doubt. Infact, I'd consider them heroes for achieving something that NOBODY ever thought they could.
  • If we won but JT was banned for the final should he collect the trophy, pushing captain Steven Gerrard out of the way

Agree

• If they contribute to bringing glory back home for England it's a big clean slate for me. They have done it on the pitch and that's all that matters.

Don't forget the quote from Lawro. There's no I in team. I'd clap them all, it's a team game.

• This is football, not voting for your MP, or passing judgement on a future son in law.

In every cohort of people there will be some you like and some you would cross the street to avoid. There are cheats and there are those you would trust with your life.

At present Terry is innocent until proven otherwise and Cole just can't keep his k*ob in his pants.

If Terry is found guilty he will have to take the punishment meted out.

Until then what they do on the pitch is what counts. Terry is a warrior on the pitch and I am pleased we have him. Cole is amongst the best left backs currently in the game and one of the best, most consistent performers in an England shirt ever.
  • 1. The temptations of their lifestyle, although perhaps morally wrong, is sometimes understandable. Who knows what anyone would do with the money and power they have. It would certainly change old average Joe.
    2. It is not actually there fault they get paid the amount they do (Ashley cole is a bit of a moron in this sense and shot himself in the foot when he said 50k a week weren't good enough).
    3. Looking at them on the outside, I dont like either of them for a few reasons but one of those reasons is that they play for Chelsea.
    4. In some ways I really couldn't give a shit what they do outside of football as long as it is law abiding. We've all got our own lives to lead and everyone is different. Yes they are extremely overpaid, but I also believe private life is essential to a persons well being and these guys don't have that via the sun newspaper.
    5. They are not great models to young men in football. JT has a racism charge hanging over his head, that's almost the worst thing about it. At the end still they are only human.
    6. If they helped bring the euro2012 cup back to England they would be loved by the nation. Not as individuals, but they would be part of the team.