Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

“They were robbed. My plan has backfired….

...and now England who I hate (though I have fooled some in believing that I don’t) are going through.”

the inner thoughts of Sepp Blatter, but when asked about goal line technology after the English actually benefit from it for once, he had this to say…

"Goal line technology is no longer an alternative, it's a necessity!"

Good god Sepp, that’s a change in attitude. Before you were all "well if we have to." now your all "this is the most important thing, why are we just standing around talking about it?! we need goal line technology before England next play!"

Comments

• Before we know where we are, he'll have everyone believing it was his idea. Good old septic bladder.
  • Seriously, he should resign over this. He alone is responsible for not introducing GLT, he alone is culpable.
  • Bloke was offside, justice done
  • edited June 2012
    Indeed, I don't see what all the fuss is about? It shouldn't have stood anyway.
  • That’s why I think it should be even more like cricket. You check for the no-ball first before anything else. In yesterday’s case you check the offside first. If like yesterday he is offside that’s the end of the review and the game carries on without even needing to check whether it crossed the line.

no doubt they wont do this, so yesterday the goal would of been counted we would of said he was offside and Blatter would be happy.
  • Would hate to go down the route of video replays for offside though.
  • You can't start checking offsides alongside this, what happens if someone is called offside and they go on to score, but all the defenders and the goalkeeper stopped. They go back and see he was onside, do you award the goal? Is it unfair on the defenders if you do? But then again the guy was onside and scored a goal, so will be unfair on him if you don't? For this simple reason, offsides cannot be questioned no matter how rubbish decisions are, whereas a ball crossing the goal line is a straight yes or no, there's no extra factors to take into consideration.
  • ...and now England who I hate (though I have fooled some in believing that I don’t) are going through.”

the inner thoughts of Sepp Blatter, but when asked about goal line technology after the English actually benefit from it for once, he had this to say…

Good god Sepp, that’s a change in attitude. Before you were all "well if we have to." now your all "this is the most important thing, why are we just standing around talking about it?! we need goal line technology before England next play!"
    Where are you from Karim and why do you hate England ? Just wondered like.

• You can't start checking offsides alongside this, what happens if someone is called offside and they go on to score, but all the defenders and the goalkeeper stopped. They go back and see he was onside, do you award the goal? Is it unfair on the defenders if you do? But then again the guy was onside and scored a goal, so will be unfair on him if you don't? For this simple reason, offsides cannot be questioned no matter how rubbish decisions are, whereas a ball crossing the goal line is a straight yes or no, there's no extra factors to take into consideration.
    Have to agree, it simply wouldn't work for offsides. Let's say a goal was scored, but the ball had been in play for 5 minutes. Do you keep going back through every decision in the last 5 minutes to see if they were correct? With goal line technology last night's goal would've been given, not disallowed for offside.
  • ...and now England who I hate (though I have fooled some in believing that I don’t) are going through.”

Think he means Blatter hates England.

• Sponsored links:

He's mock quoting Sepp Blatter.
    I don't think Karim hates England, but he's suggesting Sepp Blatter does.
  • He's Swiss and he hates England due to the dominance of the English game over the rest of Europe in the past couple of decades, as the English game is unfashionable compared to the Spanish and Italian game, not to mention the fact that the English are just a bunch of hooligans, nothing like the kind hearted people of Eastern Europe
  • Prozone has shown that offside decisions in the Premier league are in the high 90%s for correctness. prozone is considered to be far more accurate than video evidence. This does suggest that the Prozone technology could be used for real time offsides too.

Both goaline tecnology and offside technology could be introduced without disrupting games. The good thing from my perspective is that if goal line technology is introduced, it will open up th eoptions to embrace more technologies in big matches. The FIFA resistance stems from a desire that the basic game in a World cup final does not differ from that in a lower league match and technologies are not available to them. this would be an acceptance that football is still football, but at the highest level where so much is at stake - technology is used to ensure decisions are correct - can't be a bad thing.
  • Always preferred it when there were jumpers for goal posts and you got LBW decisions when you shouted loudly "Owzat"
  • Always preferred it when there were jumpers for goal posts and you got LBW decisions when you shouted loudly "Owzat"
    Yes Kap, that was all well and good until somebody who owned one of the jumpers got called in for his tea. Imaging the furore if one of the England players was called in for his tea half way through the game against Italy on Sunday.
    No, we must move on!

• I don't think we need goal line technology just yet :-0
  • Surely, if goal line technology had meant that it was goal, Sepp would be telling us that offside technology was a necessity as a goal would have been wrongly awarded.
  • edited June 2012
    You can't start checking offsides alongside this, what happens if someone is called offside and they go on to score, but all the defenders and the goalkeeper stopped. They go back and see he was onside, do you award the goal? Is it unfair on the defenders if you do? But then again the guy was onside and scored a goal, so will be unfair on him if you don't? For this simple reason, offsides cannot be questioned no matter how rubbish decisions are, whereas a ball crossing the goal line is a straight yes or no, there's no extra factors to take into consideration.

i guess your right though i wasn’t suggesting to check every offside. It was just for the ones that the ref has to go to video review to see if the ball crosses the line. you check the offside first, then move on to whether its a goal or not.
    Thinking about it this would take time and would make a bit of a mockery of offside decisions.
    Say a striker scores and the goal is given though he was offside but no review because the ball clearly crosses the line. The opposing team scores a goal but the ref is unsure if it went over the line. It goes to review. It did go over but because the striker was offside it does not count. Be pretty unfair.
    So just goal line technology please. For offsides, Insulting the linesman from the stands will have to do for now.
  • Surely, if goal line technology had meant that it was goal, Sepp would be telling us that offside technology was a necessity as a goal would have been wrongly awarded.
    yeah....if we lived in opposite land.
  • Well on average it's around a minute between a goal being scored and the game restarting, so no reason they couldn't do a quick check for offsides, blantant pushes, etc. during that natural break.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well on average it's around a minute between a goal being scored and the game restarting, so no reason they couldn't do a quick check for offsides, blantant pushes, etc. during that natural break.
    How far would that check go back though - last touch, previous 30 seconds, 10 passes etc? Not realistic unfortunately.

Goal line technology is the answer and the rest of the rules come down to human judgement. I know it has been done here before, but what do those "assistants" on the goal line actually do ?
  • Surely with goal line tech it could be like cricket when they have to double check that the delivery was legitimate, you could double check that the last 3 passes were to players that were onside? Or something?
  • edited June 2012
    Wouldn't even need to go back that far, just the ball to the goal scorer, check he was onside, didn't control with his hand, etc. It's unrealistic to check back any further than that I think, and most likely unnecessary.

He's mock quoting Sepp Blatter.
    I don't think Karim hates England, but he's suggesting Sepp Blatter does.

yes - of course. Sorry Karim. Having a simple moment. It all makes sense now.