Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooney- Overrated?

Is Wayne Rooney overrated?
Been through a few comments on here who seem to insist that he is overrated and is no way near the player the media make him out to be. I think he's one of the best this countries produced and at his best, he is near enough unstoppable. Just wondered how other people rate him

Comments

• Options
    I think he is world-class and probably the best player we have produced in my lifetime (24 years). So I wouldn't say there's much wrong with the hype he gets.

I do however think he hasn't maybe lived up to the expectations set out by a lot of fans and media back when he first burst onto the scene as a 16 year old. He was being talked about as having the potential to be the sort of player that Lionel Messi is right now (ie - one of the greatest players of all time).

That hasn't and won't happen, but I still think he will be England's best player for at least another 5 years or so.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    He's good , but has plenty of 'Dry' spells , he does get bigged up a lot , & overhyped by the Press.

According to tournament stats , he hasn't scored in his last 2 tournaments ( not including this one) for one reason or another , wil he be match fit for tonights England v Ukraine game? he hasn't played for a month.

Preferred Lineker & Shearer for England to be honest.
  • Options
    When he played in Euro 2004 i genuinely thought we had the best player on the planet and was really excited, but he hasn't produced in the last 2 tournaments, highly due to injury (2006) and form (2010).

He is world class though, every team in the world would want him.
  • Options
    A lot of people see him as an out and out goalscorer which is completely not his game. Sure he picks up quite a few goals but he's at his best putting balls through for other players and strikers. I think hes a top talent with fantastic vision and the most creative player England have at the euros
  • Options
    I think the problem lies in the opening post.

"best this countries produced "
    "he is overrated "

He is a long way from being a world beater, but he probably is the best in the country. And this country can not help itself but over rate its players on a world stage.
  • Options
    Also to add, Messi still hasn't produced on the Top International Stage too.
  • Options
    Also to add, Messi still hasn't produced on the Top International Stage too.
    26 goals & 21 assists in 70 games for the Argies is not bad.

Rooney has 28 goals from 74 games.

• Options
    Hmmm... Someone on the radio said "Our only World Class player" this morning. My son Tom said "Ashley Cole?".

Not sure it's a good idea to introduce him into the team at this point but if Roy leaves him out and we lose tonight he'll probably never live it down.
  • Options
    He's a very good player. World class probably but not in the same league as some of the other players at the moment like Messi, Ronaldo iniesta and quite a few others. All time great ? Not in a million years.
  • Options
    There are two Wayne Rooneys. The club player and the international one.

The club one is a world class player at times although not as often as earlier in his career.

The international one is frequently ordinary and disinterested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a very good player. World class probably but not in the same league as some of the other players at the moment like Messi, Ronaldo iniesta and quite a few others. All time great ? Not in a million years.
    +1
  • Options
    I wouldn't start him tonight as he has done nothing for England in major tournaments since Euro 04.
  • Options
    \

So what kind of players is he in the same league as then?

• Options
    \

I would say in a group of say fifty or so players from all sorts of nations that are first class but not going to go down in history as an all time great. By way of example I would say the all time greats are counted on the fingers of two hands at most. Rooney is in the massive group of world class players that are just behind.
  • Options
    There are two Wayne Rooneys. The club player and the international one.

The club one is a world class player at times although not as often as earlier in his career.

The international one is frequently ordinary and disinterested.
    Agree very much with Len's view on "Wazza".

If you take a definition of 'world class' as someone who would be pushing for a start in a World XI then I'm afraid Wayne's not even close currently. Doesn't stop our media and pundits pretending otherwise of course.
  • Options
    Agree Bournmouth he is our best player but he wouldn't get into a World XI
  • Options
    over rated - decent enough cog in a good side but not capable of winning games on his own which special players do.
  • Options
    \

I would say in a group of say fifty or so players from all sorts of nations that are first class but not going to go down in history as an all time great. By way of example I would say the all time greats are counted on the fingers of two hands at most. Rooney is in the massive group of world class players that are just behind.

I agree with that. So he is in the same catergory as Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Giggs, kaka etc..., seems about right
  • Options
    Not world class, that phrase gets over used far too much in this country. A very good player yes however his lack of discipline, both in terms of his temper and footballing style I think will always hold him back from being the complete player. Far too often he goes looking for the ball and while some will say that is "desire, passion" etc. it is very naive and leaves either his strike partner isolated (which I think will happen tonight) and or no one up top as he is sometimes played on his own in attack at utd.
  • Options
    Maybe we'll have a few different answers come half nine this evening!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe we'll have a few different answers come half nine this evening!!!!
    He could score a hat trick tonight and it wouldn't get him into my starting world XI.

• Options
    Colt's spot on. He is an excellent player though, but has been let down by his temprament.
  • Options
    i hope i'm wrong but i'm just expecting him to do his usual international performane - i.e get frustrated after 20 minutes when he realises unknown Sergi has him in his pocket.
  • Options
    Over rated, rarely turns a game on its head, is prone to a strop or two and cant compete with the Messi's, Ronaldo's and Kermorgant's of this world
  • Options
    i hope i'm wrong but i'm just expecting him to do his usual international performane - i.e get frustrated after 20 minutes when he realises unknown Sergi has him in his pocket.
    Is Unknown Sergi on SCP's radar and how tall is he ?

• Options
    A good player but a dislikable persona. Is arrogant, treats his wife like shit and has a stupid haicut.
  • Options
    At times like this, I ask myself "What would Chris Waddle have to say on this matter?"
  • Options
    Is Wayne Rooney overrated?
    Been through a few comments on here who seem to insist that he is overrated and is no way near the player the media make him out to be. I think he's one of the best this countries produced and at his best, he is near enough unstoppable. Just wondered how other people rate him
    NO

• Options
    He's definitely over-hyped but you can't argue with his goal record over the past few seasons. Can't stand the sight of him though. He thinks he's the focal point of England's team when he appears, thanks in no small part to the media, and that usually hurts the team as he doesn't play as intelligently (in a footballing sense obviously) as he normally does. If he behaved for United like he has for England Ferguson would haul him off the pitch and give him a rollicking. Needs to play more selflessly and stop thinking he's England's footballing messiah and we might actually get somewhere
  • Options
    I think he is world class. All you have to do is watch him for Manchester United. I just don't think an England manager has used him in the right way and I don't think he's wanted to work with the likes of Capello.