Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

20-06-2012 - Longest day

edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
Make the most of today and tomorrow.
Nights start drawing in on Thursday - soon be going home in the dark.

Comments

• I bet you're fun to be around!
  • I better go to bed now then!
  • Excellent!

Do you work for the Samaritans?
  • And to think that people accuse Charlton fans of having a negative outlook...
  • I thought 21st was the longest day before the nights start drawing in.
  • Make the most of today and tomorrow.
    Nights start drawing in on Thursday - soon be going home in the dark.
    and being held back at the New Den :-)
  • I thought 21st was the longest day before the nights start drawing in.
    I thought so too but there's actually one second less "day" on 21st this year. Next year the 21st is the longest day again! Weird eh?
    Anyway the good news is that it's the morning sunrise that starts getting later while sunset also continues to get later until 28th June and then starts drawing in.
    Anyway, I'm off to Northern Ireland for a few days where I'll be getting an extra 40 odd minutes of daylight, pretty much all of it in the evening. (That's if the sun ever comes out at all of course!)
  • I think that the longest day varies with small variations in the earth's orbit over time. This can be due to things such as the interaction of the gravity of other celestial bodies. The shape of the orbit, and tilt of Earth both change on regular cycles.
  • I think that the longest day varies with small variations in the earth's orbit over time. This can be due to things such as the interaction of the gravity of other celestial bodies. The shape of the orbit, and tilt of Earth both change on regular cycles.
    The leap year must affected it as well. The calender we use isn't prefect.

Milankovic variations - worked them out whilst interned in WW1.

• Sponsored links:

• Make the most of today and tomorrow.
    Nights start drawing in on Thursday - soon be going to the dark ages.
    and being held back at the New Den :-)
  • Great Movie .. old Kenneth More on the beach directing traffic .. or was that George C Scott in Patton ?
  • edited June 2012
    Great Movie .. old Kenneth More on the beach directing traffic .. or was that George C Scott in Patton ?
    That was the Longest Day - I believe the character potrayed by Kenneth More was one Lt Commander Maud who was beach aster on one of the British beaches, probably Sword as I seem to remember Sean Connery landing there.

Edit: According to Wikepedia I was wrong on 2 counts:

1. He was a full commander by then
    2. It was Juno

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Maud

That'll learn me to quote "facts" whilst on a bus! (Red-faced smiley)
    The leap year must affected it as well. The calender we use isn't prefect.

It's so tight it probably depends where in the northern hemisphere you are as to what is the longest day. I got obsessed with thisast winter and discovered that December 21st was a whole second longer than December 20th.

But as cafe fan suggested there is actually about a 10 day gap between the earliest sunrise and the latest sunset.
  • Thought all days were 24 hours long............?
  • Thought all days were 24 hours long............?
    Even by that definition they aren't because every few years they have to slip in an extra second.
  • The Longest Day? thats trouble with us English, were "obsessed" with the Second World War according the Grumpy on another thread!
  • Great Movie .. old Kenneth More on the beach directing traffic .. or was that George C Scott in Patton ?
    That was the Longest Day - I believe the character potrayed by Kenneth More was one Lt Commander Maud who was beach aster on one of the British beaches, probably Sword as I seem to remember Sean Connery landing there.

Edit: According to Wikepedia I was wrong on 2 counts:

1. He was a full commander by then
    2. It was Juno

That'll learn me to quote "facts" whilst on a bus! (Red-faced smiley)
    H Z H .. you are a mine of info .. not a landmine or magnetic mine I hope .. sorry for my WW2 obsession :->
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2012
    What WW2 obsession? If anything it's a Hollywood obsession.

The film was a monumental undertaking by Darryl F. Zanuck and quite unique in it's day - it had a truly international cast and in the original version everyone spoke their own language (English, French, German). Another interestinguseless fact is that the cost of getting John Wayne on board to play Lt Col Ben Vanderoort was that he got special billing - as the credits roll (a list as long as your arm) all the names are shown alphabetically before it finishes with "and John Wayne". Stuart Whitman would have come after him if he hadn't held out for that.