Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amoxycillin

edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anyone on here know how long this stuff keeps for? I have been up all night with a hacking cough that's on my chest, a sure sign that I have my traditional mid summer chest infection, but I have a near full pack of Amoxycillin from February sitting in the medicine drawer at home, is it still OK or is it going to kill me?

Comments

• Should be fine
  • That should be ok...check the expiry on the box...

If it is out of date, the only thing likely to happen is the tablets wouldnt work, they shouldn't kill you (famous last words)

• You should really get to see the doctor sam3110. If it is a viral infection antibiotics will have no effect. If it is bacterial the doc will give you a full course of treatment, which must be completed. The fact that you have some left from February suggests you may not have a full course left or maybe you did not complete the treatment last time.
    Best of luck and hope you get well soon.
  • "Traditional mid summer chest infection"?

Like strawberries and cream and Pimms + lemonade.
  • "Traditional mid summer chest infection"?

Like strawberries and cream and Pimms + lemonade.
    Pretty much! Happens every year around about July, come rain or shine!

Spooney, I have them left over as last time it was exactly that, viral not bacterial. I will be popping to the docs by the end of the week, I was just wondering if they were still ok to use as a bit of a jump start
  • The regularity makes it sound like a hay fever type allergic reaction and, at this time of year, lime trees are a frequent cause. Infection may then be a secondary response to the allergy. Tablets will probably still be in date, but CAFCspooney is spot on. If it is bacterial and you do not have a full course of antibiotics, then resistance to antibiotics can result which is why folks are urged to always finish the course.
  • You should really get to see the doctor sam3110. If it is a viral infection antibiotics will have no effect. If it is bacterial the doc will give you a full course of treatment, which must be completed. The fact that you have some left from February suggests you may not have a full course left or maybe you did not complete the treatment last time.
    100% this.

Agreed this, see a Doc not a football forum! Also if you are getting the same kind of 'chest infection' at the same time of year it may be worth getting allergy checked for hay fever type illnesses etc.