Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Waggott gone down with Coventry - coincidence ?

Development director Steve Waggott has confirmed that Coventry remain in contract talks with defensive duo Richard Keogh and Martin Cranie.

Comments

• Options
    Martin Cranie! He was sh1t for us - not lost on me that as we are on the way up he's on his way down. Part of the general malaise of the last 5 years+
  • Options
    No. Only been there a couple of months. Cov have been a basket case for a while.
  • Options
    Good luck to 25/8 man. He may need it.
  • Options
    I hope he's still smiling.
  • Options
    Good luck to him. When I met him he seemed a nice guy, obviously wrong man at the wrong time for us, which resulted in the briefings against him, but hope he goes on and helps make Coventry a successful third tier club
  • Options
    Bumped into him in the post office/minimarket opposite Chislehurst Caves a couple of weeks back....I guess he still lives in the area.
  • Options
    In the caves ? :-)
  • Options
    Bumped into him in the post office/minimarket opposite Chislehurst Caves a couple of weeks back....I guess he still lives in the area.
    The P.O. where they believe they are doing you a huge favour in accepting your post/parcels - even though their commission is 7%
  • Options
    Yeah think he is still in Chiselhurst, I'm good friends with his daughter.

Very nice bloke each time I met him.
  • Options
    Yes he is a nice fella...had a tough gig following Peter Varney and had to sack a lot of folk into the bargain which didn't help him one little bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't he paid like a guzilion pounds a year whilst he was with us. I am surprised he hasn't retired to the Bahamas with all the loot....! ;-)
  • Options
    Yeah think he is still in Chiselhurst, I'm good friends with his daughter.

Very nice bloke each time I met him.
    His daughter? How old is she, he's only about 24 isn't he?
  • Options
    Yes soundas... one of them our very own suzi... the man will always be a villain in my book for that reason alone.
  • Options
    I wouldn't waste any sympathy to be honest. Nice enough bloke who was massively overpaid for a job he didn't do. Has anyone missed his input?
  • Options
    Yes soundas... one of them our very own suzi... the man will always be a villain in my book for that reason alone.
    Harsh, without knowing the exact ins and outs, he would not have made the decision on making redundancies by hiumself, he was acting as much on behalf of the board. I would imagine that Murray was as much responsible for redundancies as him.

I've been made redundant 5 or so times and I have lost count of the number of people I have made redundant,very few people I know make redundancies lightly or when implementing them are left unscarred.

• Options
    No need for the sermon kap10. Was largely said with tongue in the cheek. But having said that as a friend of hers I guess I know a little more than you do. And as airman said above... I reckon a few jobs could've been saved if it weren't for his salary.

Harsh?
  • Options
    I wouldn't waste any sympathy to be honest. Nice enough bloke who was massively overpaid for a job he didn't do. Has anyone missed his input?
    Hello pot.
  • Options
    No need for the sermon kap10. Was largely said with tongue in the cheek. But having said that as a friend of hers I guess I know a little more than you do. And as airman said above... I reckon a few jobs could've been saved if it weren't for his salary.

Harsh?
    Tonguie in cheek - sometimes the black and white does not communicate humour well - so sorry I misinterpreted that, however mine wasw meant as more of an opinion than sermon, not really an friend of pulpits. His salary, players salaries whatever we accept what we can get and as I said its not just his decision. Airman never made it a secret of his disdain for Waggott, so I would hardly expect him to be singing his praises now.

As for Suzi of course I sympathise with her.

• Options
    Hello pot.
    What a weird post.

• Options
    I don't think he has been turning out for them this season, and they were on the slide before he came. Relegation was inevitable, sooner or later. Don't think Waggot can take the blame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice enough bloke who was massively overpaid for a job he didn't do. Has anyone missed his input?
    Hmmmmmm reminds me of a few players/assistants/managers we've had during our pathetically embarassing times since the Lord Curbs left
    Still he was a nice bloke .....................

For Airman :
    Are the club taking on many new staff now we've promoted or are they going to see if the streamlined outfit can cope and see what demand is like ??
  • Options
    Knew he was a wrong 'un the first time I met him at Bromley. Seen a few like him who talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Just made me realise what a miss Reg was - he just got on with doing the job quietly and efficiently. He didn't need to tell anbody how good he was.

One of a few mistakes made in that era, that we shouldn't really dwell on but just learn from.
  • Options
    Classy
  • Options
    Classy
    But at least it's from somebody who knew him personally and worked with him.

Although obviously it's Airmans personal view which is what forums are all about.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    My question at the time was how many season tickets we would have to sell to fund Mr Waggott salary.
    I felt it was massively out of proportion with the season ticket funding of the playing and coaching staff.
  • Options
    And as usual seth , anyone who questions the holy grail of Charlton Athletic , you got grief for daring mention the club were doing something wrong or that we weren't the perfectly run role model of a club that everyone aspired to follow
  • Options
    You must be starting to bore yourself, surely?
  • Options
    You must be starting to bore yourself, surely?
    LOL

• Options
    I wish I could drag out the old thread on Waggott.

Seth and I were getting a lot of abuse for questioning not only Waggotts salary in relation to the ST prices, but also his 'worth' in the whole scheme of things.

As I said earlier, a sorry saga which we've hopefully learned our lesson from. He may have been good at leading a Charity, but a commercial enterprise is something completely different.
  • Options
    I emailed him directly at the time, and got no reply of any kind. Not suprising because he was so busy working 25/8.