Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy 25th Anniversary

Friday 29th May 1987 - St Andrews - still can't believe to this day how we got out of there alive!

Comments

• Options
    The only team to survive the play offs from the higher division.
  • Options
    An evening I'll never forget.

RIP Johnny Statham - my mate.
  • Options
    Christ, 25 years ago. I'm getting old!
  • Options
    I still think this team kept #CAFC alive.
    Who knows what would've happened if we lost ?
  • Options
    I wouldn't have felt so scared walking out of the ground for one!
  • Options
    I wouldn't have felt so scared walking out of the ground for one!
    You walked out of the ground? I ran the fastest I have ever ran to my car. Great evening though.

• Options
    Never run so fast in my life either - got back home just in time for the wholly unbiased Yorkshire TV highlights of the match - John Helm sounded like he was going to cry!
  • Options
    Christ, 25 years ago. I'm getting old!
    THIS!

• Options
    It could be argued that this play off win was far more important than 1998.

At the time we had no ground, little support because of the move to sellout park and big money problems. Lennie getting us up in '86 was a great feat, keeping us up for fours year allowed the club to survive and build momentum for 1992.

Had we not won this match there may well have not been a Charlton Athletic Football Club today.
  • Options
    It was my dad's 40th back in 87 which makes it his 65th today - Happy birthday GHF!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great birthday present! :)
  • Options
    http://vimeo.com/groups/charltonlife/videos/5156937

This has been linked before, but is always worth a watch.

How many Charlton fans were there at the game?
  • Options
    My mate John and I arrived in Birmingham about ten minutes before kick off, parked the car somewhere and ran towards the floodlights. Just in time for kick off.

Never found out who scored Charlton's goals until we bought a paper the following morning in London.

Recall Bob Bolder throwing everything bar his underpants into the crowd at the end.

No idea where the car was after the game. Wandered around in circles not daring to speak. Eventually found it on a roundabout without a parking ticket.

Drove at least twenty miles south to a service station but the place was still teeming with Leeds fans. One huge skinhead accosted us at the entrance and said:

"ey up lad, have you sucked a fisherman's friend lately ?"

Still not sure whether that was a threat or a friendly greeting. Didn't stay around to find out.
  • Options
    As we exited St Andrews, I recall a steward advising us 'to run for your lives' - and I certainly did - wish I could run that fast today!!! That was one of the most evil atmosphere's I can remember at a match- before, during and end - All down to Leeds.

When Leeds scored their free kick, I remember Bremner doing an aeroplane on the pitch in front of us, which annoyed me. Was poetic, a Yorkshireman, who I think hadn't scored for us before (correct me if I'm wrong on that) got two in the fainal period.

I also remember Bolb Bolder coming over to celebrate and throwing my scarf at him. I think he got quite a few scarves that night.

• Options
    great night, went by coach, wee jimmymelrose bunked off school early. Even at 1-0 down and time running out I said to jimmymelrose not to worry we were going to win, don't know why but just really thought we would. As said before made it back to the coach afterwards faster than Usain Bolt. Remember the Yorkshire TV highlights, so biased but so, so funny too. 25 years, seems like yesterday.
  • Options
    Google indicates that St Andrews to New Street is 1.7 miles - I think I made it in a time that should have me competing for Team GB. I too had no idea who had scored our goals until we watched the highlights at 2 in the morning. Sheridan's free kick was given for handball when it hit Paul Miller in the face. Ian Baird 'headbutting' Peter Shirtliff's might have produced a red card, but thankfully didn't. We pretty much bossed the game and any other result would have been a travesty
  • Options
    always sticks in my mind Leeds singing "we shall not, we shall not be moved" just before we scored (x2).
  • Options
    what a night, proper bumholes going for the result ....coach arrived so close to kick off time as well .....

that was proper impressive numbers for leeds (before footy became trendy) and another ahem less impressive turnout for the excuse posse
  • Options
    I was there, remember stopping on the coach at Watford Gap on the way home
  • Options
    our coach drove in and promptly drove out of the service station once a leeds coach was spotted on the way home
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never run so fast in my life either - got back home just in time for the wholly unbiased Yorkshire TV highlights of the match - John Helm sounded like he was going to cry!
    I ran all the way to the station to get the train home that they held for us. The only time I stopped was when a group of men came out of the pub to us who won. I whispered that we did thinking they would kick my head in only to find they were Villa fans!!!!
  • Options
    I ran all the way to the station to get the train home that they held for us. The only time I stopped was when a group of men came out of the pub to us who won. I whispered that we did thinking they would kick my head in only to find they were Villa fans!!!!
    I was in a similar situation - hurried but not ran to New Street to find a train just pulling out. BR bloke said it was the last train to London that night and me and a couple of others said 'It had better not be as there are 10,000 Leeds right behind us'. Just had time to phone my Dad from the platform to tell him the result before another train rolled in - which took ages to leave so probably Kev's held train.
  • Options
    I was 9 at the time - didn't go to the game but watched the highlights the next day on tape.
  • Options
    Legged it back to New Street when a group of Zulu's came out of boozer and said they were taking care of Leeds that night. No arguments from me.
  • Options

How many Charlton fans were there at the game?

Around 1800, I believe. We were outnumbered 10 to 1. But class told.

• Options
    Friday 29th May 1987 - St Andrews - still can't believe to this day how we got out of there alive!
    Legged it back to New Street when a group of Zulu's came out of boozer and said they were taking care of Leeds that night. No arguments from me.
    Remember walking up the hill and about 20 Charlton did an about turn back towards us, thought thats strange. They then done another about turn, Birmingham realised that we were Charlton, congratulated us and have a safe journey home. We were bystanders to a lot of naughties with them and Leeds.
    People not old enough to remember/know do not realise how dodgy places like Birmingham were.
    As an aside, this game to me was the biggest game in our history. If we had gone down I am convinced we would not have had the premiership years.
    Lennie Lawrence is a god.
  • Options
    It could be argued that this play off win was far more important than 1998.

At the time we had no ground, little support because of the move to sellout park and big money problems. Lennie getting us up in '86 was a great feat, keeping us up for fours year allowed the club to survive and build momentum for 1992.

Had we not won this match there may well have not been a Charlton Athletic Football Club today.
    Seconded!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    True story. God knows why but decided to watch the highlights on TV without knowing the score. Was desolate when Leeds scored as there obviously wasn't time on the TV transmission to cover extra time. Couldn't believe my eyes when Shirtliff equalised but still knew that there had to be a winner in normal time. Was horrified when Leeds looked like getting in our half - in case they scored - but absolutely esctatic when, to my complete and utter disbelief, Shirtliff headed the winner. Celebrated by charging around the living room and jumping on the settee, whooping with joy!

Recall it was well past midnight when the highlights finished. And well past one o'clock when I went to bed after watching the video again! Recall my wife greeted me with the immortal phrase "I take it they won then" before turning over and going back to sleep! She never has quite grasped the importance of football!
  • Options
    Great night, was on a mates 21st Birthday celebration at the Regency night club in Chatham....Charlton staying up made it a night to remember, even though I wasn't at the game.
  • Options
    Just watched those highlights - thanks Epson Addick.

That night was the most special night as a Charlton fan. The existence of the club depended on it. A team of heroes. I cried when we equalised and I have never before or since done so at a football match.