Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hello Lads, Hartlepool Here.....

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
...Charlton Dad was on our board asking if he could help about our struggle to buy back our ground from the local council.

Basically, what has happened is that we got 95% of the way through the discussions, the Labour Council got in and because the mayor is an Independant, and used to be our mascot (the story is all over the net) the new council wont work with him.

Now our owners, IOR, have said that they are unwilling to pour money into what is basically a council house. I understand their stance, as do most Poolies. They have already spent millions on it. They only want to buy it and move forward.

This is the gadgie who is blocking it. He's the leader of the labour group in the town. Please e-mail him with messages of support. The plan is to regenerate an area of the town that has been derelict since I was a kid and I'm no spring chicken.

Please don't abuse him, be persuasive, he's not a football fan. He is a little 'light on his loafers' though.

christopher.akers-belcher@hartlepool.gov.uk

Ta. Kev

Comments

• Will do and good luck.
  • Maybe he should read up on our history and learn a bit about what happens to councils that do not support the future of their clubs.
  • Pete, I hope he will but he's going for party glory, not what's best for the town. I know the history of The Valley and it's a case in point. That's why I hoped that Addicks will sympathise. If we can get out of town support and make it more of a 'football wide' campaign, we might succeed.

Maybe you'd like to read the threads on Pooliebunker.com. We worry.
  • `Light on his loafers'...love it.
    I must confess...i am Charlton Dad.
    I went on thier board to thank them for having a laugh and doing some photos with my boy.
    Anything we can do to help we should. A good bunch of lads they are.
  • Kev, my mate is a poolie fan, and some years ago he persuaded me to go to Poolie v Darlo game. Must admit it was one of the most turgid games i've been to - it ended 0-0, and it wasnt quite a Rangers v Celtic , but , must admit, i was made very welcome, and always look out for your results.
    Will email the bloke and give him a good'un , in a very Charlton way, of course.
  • Threaten to start your own, one issue party for the next local elections and you can use our story where politicians were ousted - including the leader - because of us as an example. In this time, where politicians are held in such low esteem, would have thought it might worry them if they thought you were serious!
  • Thanks for all your support and suggestions lads. Mr Muttley (we have a Mutley too, he's a legend, check out the picture of him on the stand roof over the Milwall fans coolly smoking a tab) it's a very good idea, but I fear time is not on our side in that aspect.
  • Well if you can manage to get a football mascot dressed up as a monkey elected as mayor dealing with the Council should be a breeze...
  • The labour party have never forgiven us for that Mr Forest. They can smell revenge.
  • Sponsored links:

• A few questions PK:
    1. Did the club previously own the ground?
    2. If yes, how much did they sell it for and when?
    3. How much are IOR proposing to pay the council for the ground and how much do the council want?
    4. What is the value of the ground if the stadium was demolished and redeveloped?
    5. Is there anything preventing the ground being redeveloped for purposes other than football?
    6. The loafers comment, relevant or casual homophobia or other?

In case you are wondering, I am broadly in favour of Hartlepool United FC owning their ground. I don't necessarily believe this should be at the expense of the local tax payer nor do I feel that it should be possible for a company, that I know nothing about (and therefore in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, should be assumed to be entirely honourable), potentially to be allowed to take advantage of the situation.
  • Hi Kev

You guys seem like a great bunch and I potentially have a killer blow or two to land on your problem councillor. Our fine administrator recently recovered for me an 11 minute Thames TV doc. on our Valley Party escapade, which is required viewing for all councillors Labour or otherwise with any kind of self-preservation instinct. However before I send it to him with a few accompanying words, I really ought to get up to speed with the dispute. All I could find was a BBC report from early March which looked quite optimistic. Can you guide me to a recent report which details the latest impasse?
  • Right chaps, thanks for your interest.

Sheffield Red first:

1. Yes. It wa sold to the council in the late sixties in order to pay off the Inland Revenue and stop us sinking. The Chairman at that time was a local councillor.

2. 30 grand.

3.They offered 300K for it and were turned down. Later when negotiations resumed they did a simple interest calculation and offered 50 grand. relations at that stage were somewhat strained.

4. see 5.

5. The ground is covered by a covenant that stipulates that it can only be used for sports purposes. The commercial valuation is 635K was it to sold off as development land.

6. Not really relevant except, just an observation of his utter dislike of football.

Mr Prague:

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/pools-welcome-talks-on-ground-1-4342480

This was pre-election. The latest information has come from the message board lads who have been canvassing their newly elected councillors.

http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/egov_downloads/19.03.12_-_Cabinet_Agenda.pdf

http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/egov_downloads/19.03.12_-_Cabinet_Minutes_and_Decision_Record.pdf

http://www.investinhartlepool.com/pdfs/ers_action_plan11-14.pdf

http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/site/scripts/meetings_committees.php?headerID=29

Here is the e-mail.

Many thanks for the email. Unfortunately I do not take the view that it is in the interests of Hartlepool to hand over the ground to IOR. If I use Newcastlle for example where they do not own the ground but operate very successfully for the people of Newcastle I see no value in parting with a major asset of Hartlepool Borough Council. At the present time the ground, by being owned by the Council is ultimately in the ownership of the people of Hartlepool and as such I shall be opposing any transfer.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Akers-Belcher
    Councillor for Foggy Furze
    Chair Children's Services Scrutiny Forum and Chair Audit Committee
  • edited May 2012
    There is now an action group. This is the report on the first meeting:

The meeting last night of the millhouse area action group was held in the millhouse pub.
    it began with some background information on how the group was started. then there was an in depth discussion on the development its self.
    there was some great ideas put forward to help push the campaign on but it always came back to pressure on councilors. Ian wright and peter mandalson so keep that up.
    the independent survey carried out between the council and pools was fantastic pools brings to the town over 5 million each year and if the development goes ahead that would increase.
    Ian wright has been approached for his view as will peter mandelson.
    hartlepool lad and European cup winner john McGovern has agreed to be honary president for the group.
    There was a Representative from the residents of the area there also who delighted at the way the meeting was presented and he was asked to join the newly formed committee next week.
    there will be lots going on behind the scenes over the week and there will be a press release in the mail. so please get to next Tuesdays meeting 6-30 at the millhouse pub its bank holiday but there is no excuse with work and such.

we need your support. (That bit is for Poolies but of course any assistance is deeply appreciated.)
  • Greenwich council who previously blocked us getting back to the Valley now use Charltons community scheme for all community outreach work in the borough I understand. Ironic, but a good example of the positive benefit of having a football club on the go in your area.
    Best wishes to Hartlepool United, top club, top fans.
  • Thanks Mr Plum. I know the finances don't seem to stack up on first reading but this is about a project which includes not only the football ground but a major redevelopment of a skanky area of Hartlepool, the local college facilities, job training and a lot of other initiatives which can only help an historically depressed area.
  • I've emailed - Not entirely sure I understand the ins and outs so kept it vague. Told him to do his homework and read about what happened to the Valley!
  • Thanks Jimmy, every crumb is part of a loaf!!