Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford Crossing Toll charge to go up by 50p (ed. up to 2.50 soon)

Comments

• Options

Got my cynical head on, but I wonder how long before they re-introduce charging vehicles after 10pm now that it's becoming automated?

Blooming hope not, I whooped with joy last night on the way back from Rotherham as I went through at 10:00 & 18 seconds.
  • Options
    The latest letter I had through stated that they where keeping the "free" 10pm to 6am period after October when the new system starts (but it didn't say for how long for)
  • Options

The latest letter I had through stated that they where keeping the "free" 10pm to 6am period after October when the new system starts (but it didn't say for how long for)

The introduction of the new system has been delayed until late November.

• Options
    WayneK said:

buckshee said:

Well I think it's a bloody disgrace. Oh no hang on , I'm in the local residents scheme so pay £20 a year for unlimited use.

TOUGH LUCK SUCKERS!

I'd rather pay than live in that shite hole Dartford. Before anyone starts I was born there and lived there for 27 years before I managed to escape.

I don't live in Dirtford I reside in the Hithe.
  • Options

Maddad totally agree about it being a rip off, should be free to everybody. also another thing to think about, it's not been explained how they will collect the tolls from foreign cars and lorries.

I think it operates the same as the Irish toll roads and I think it may even be the same company Connect Plus. Basically they have number plate recognition and link to DVLA and I presume an EU database if you don't pay login and pay within a certain time limit say 48hrs it goes up a couple of £, bit like LCC, after a week £10 -£15 penalty, then after 2 - 3 weeks it suddenly jumps to £100+ with interest and threat of court.

Last week I saw Connect Plus team surveying a piece of land Essex side adjacent to the corner of the off ramp jctn 30 and slip road up onto A13 city bound, looked to me as if it was for cctv
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    madadd said:

Maddad totally agree about it being a rip off, should be free to everybody. also another thing to think about, it's not been explained how they will collect the tolls from foreign cars and lorries.

I think it operates the same as the Irish toll roads and I think it may even be the same company Connect Plus. Basically they have number plate recognition and link to DVLA and I presume an EU database if you don't pay login and pay within a certain time limit say 48hrs it goes up a couple of £, bit like LCC, after a week £10 -£15 penalty, then after 2 - 3 weeks it suddenly jumps to £100+ with interest and threat of court.

Last week I saw Connect Plus team surveying a piece of land Essex side adjacent to the corner of the off ramp jctn 30 and slip road up onto A13 city bound, looked to me as if it was for cctv
    It's the firm that runs the French toll roads, Sanef.
    kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/crossing-deal-6624/

Edited to add Connect plus have a long, long contract to maintain the M25 and the arterial link roads.
  • Options
    Foreign vehicles don't get tickets sent for speeding. For all the will in the world I can't see them being hunted down at home for a toll
  • Options
    The new payment arrangements at the Dartford Crossing will come into effect on 30 November 2014:
    • from 6am on Sunday 30 November you’ll no longer pay at the barriers
    • the current payment arrangements will continue until Dart Charge goes live
    • we’ll start the main roadworks to remove the booths and introduce a new road layout in late November; due for completion spring 2015
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

The new payment arrangements at the Dartford Crossing will come into effect on 30 November 2014:
    • from 6am on Sunday 30 November you’ll no longer pay at the barriers
    • the current payment arrangements will continue until Dart Charge goes live
    • we’ll start the main roadworks to remove the booths and introduce a new road layout in late November; due for completion spring 2015

But the arrangements for us locals is not clear yet ....Email received pretty much said "Watch this space".

• Options
    congestion has been shocking the last few weeks.

losing those barriers can't come soon enough.
  • Options
    What TFL/HA don't tell you is that they need those queues at the crossing to regulate the flow of traffic around the M25.

From December, there will be a new set of bottlenecks around the M25, as the speedier flow from the crossing starts to hit the existing minor bottlenecks.
  • Options
    Of course if they just removed the barriers when the crossing was paid off 20 years ago in the first places like they said they would, they wouldn't have to fanny around with these roadworks and electronic toll system.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Of course if they just removed the barriers when the crossing was paid off 20 years ago in the first places like they said they would, they wouldn't have to fanny around with these roadworks and electronic toll system.

But they need the number plate recognistion system to check if you have paid you road tax ;-)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

No tolls in Scotland now and they are getting a nice new bridge across the Forth! Something wrong somewhere.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ignore my Question... Found the Answer myself thank you all :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well I received two emails on Friday. I have a work van for which I have a full price dart tag and a residents scheme dart tag for the car.

The current dart tag people have the reg of my car but not the van as the tag can be used on any Van.

So the emails advised me I'd need to ring the new company to switch over the van one but not the car one as that would move over automatically.

So I sorted the van one out and at the end of a long convo I mentioned about the car one and was told "no you do have to migrate that as well"!

This is the wording of their email

"Your Local Residents' account

Your annual crossing allowance and any credit on your account will automatically transfer on 30th November 2014 when Dart Charge commences.

If you make a crossing on or after 30th November 2014 in the vehicle registered to your Local Residents’ Discount Scheme account we will assume you have accepted the terms and conditions (please see further details below) and that your contact details are correct.

If you are on the limited crossings option and have used up your annual allowance of 50 journeys and do not have any credit on your account (to pay £0.20p for each subsequent crossing) when it transfers to Dart Charge on 30th November 2014, then your account will not work"

I rang back once I'd found the account number at once again the whole process took ages at the end of which I had to give credit card details. I asked why they hadn't taken them for my van and was told "oh didn't they? They should've"

If setting up an account over the phone (they currently don't have facility to do this on the net) then prepare yourself for a long drawn out headache .

• Options
    Best avodiided next weekend 29th & 30th as they change over. Lots of lane closures.

Also by the looks of things the barriers northbound heading into the tunnels will still be in "nodding mode" until the booths are out but southbound after the bridge they will be fully up . This is to "help traffic flow"

Lakeside defo best avoided that weekend then.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info @buckshee

The changeover is going to end in tears.

Tried switching my dart-tag account over to dart-charge on-line. System didn't want to know.
    Spoke to an operative. He didn't recognise my account number (it turns out because it starts with a zero and they'd dropped those!) Eventually got my cars registered and got a new account number BUT still no email with my new log-in password!

I was also told that I should keep my tags in the cars because the system will recognise those more quickly than my number plates! So the whole point was........?

I've got to get from deepest Essex to Gatwick earlish on Sunday 30th - really looking forward to it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What happens if you refuse to pay?
  • Options
    Loco said:

You’ll be sent a Penalty Charge Notice if you don’t pay by midnight on the day after you made your crossing.

The penalty charge is £70 and must be paid within 28 days. It’s reduced to £35 if you pay within 14 days and increased to £105 if you don’t pay. You also have to pay the crossing charge along with a £15 admin fee.
  • Options
    I had no problem with changing my Dart Tag to the New system. I had an e-mail with my account number and a one time use code to access the system., took less than 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Easy choice for me , I do not need another reason not to visit Lakeside, and the surrounding area, so if I have to go over to the 'dark side' I will go via Blackwall, or not at all.......
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Loco said:

You’ll be sent a Penalty Charge Notice if you don’t pay by midnight on the day after you made your crossing.

The penalty charge is £70 and must be paid within 28 days. It’s reduced to £35 if you pay within 14 days and increased to £105 if you don’t pay. You also have to pay the crossing charge along with a £15 admin fee.
    OK, what happens if we all refuse to pay!
  • Options
    I was told I would receive a "welcome pack" from the dart charge people after I signed the account up , two weeks on and still nothing .
  • Options
    The amount of money that is being wasted to not only organise and implement the migration between the toll and the electronic system but also to administrate the new system once it is in place, and also the amount of time and money that will be wasted chasing up those who pay and when things go to court, wasting court time...

Surely there's an argument of cost-effectiveness to pay for the maintenance of the bridge and tunnel through taxation and stop the waste of millions every year, just like nearly every other bridge/tunnel in the country?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    buckshee said:

I was told I would receive a "welcome pack" from the dart charge people after I signed the account up , two weeks on and still nothing .

Ditto, buckshee.

Paid my tenner online, then rang to ascertain when/how they would check our documents re car/household etc .And was told we'd receive a welcome pack with relevant instructions....nothing so far.

By the time the new regs kick in , we'll no doubt still be waiting & wondering whether we'll be charged for each trip until our documentation has been passed as kosher.

Utter chaos.

• Options
    Still no email with my temp password. (I didn't get any mention of receiving a "welcome pack" when I phoned.)

So I went on to the website and claimed to have forgotten my log on. Forced a change of password and looked at my basic details.
    My telephone number had been incorrectly transferred from the Dart Tag system but otherwise okay.
    Balance was Nil but I'm supposed to be switching my Dart Tag balance over.....

Security on the site seemed very poor and I couldn't find anywhere to top up the account either. (I haven't opted for automatic top-ups when the balance gets low.)

All seems to have been put together by a bunch of amateurs with some scissors and a Pritt Stick.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Still no email with my temp password. (I didn't get any mention of receiving a "welcome pack" when I phoned.)

So I went on to the website and claimed to have forgotten my log on. Forced a change of password and looked at my basic details.
    My telephone number had been incorrectly transferred from the Dart Tag system but otherwise okay.
    Balance was Nil but I'm supposed to be switching my Dart Tag balance over.....

Security on the site seemed very poor and I couldn't find anywhere to top up the account either. (I haven't opted for automatic top-ups when the balance gets low.)

All seems to have been put together by a bunch of amateurs with some scissors and a Pritt Stick.

Actually both the ladies I spoke to were northerners...........so I guess you're right ;)