Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford Crossing Toll charge to go up by 50p (ed. up to 2.50 soon)

Comments

• Options
    Charge going up to £2-50 in late November when the toll booths are done away with.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

So the crossing staff are being sacked meaning no more wages to be paid, the crossing has long been paid and the toll was only meant to run until then for yet the charges are going up!

How does that work?

Capitalism...........
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

So the crossing staff are being sacked meaning no more wages to be paid, the crossing has long been paid and the toll was only meant to run until then for yet the charges are going up!

How does that work?

Done the same thing, when they got rid of the night shift, made it free to cross between 10pm -6am and they put the price up then from £1 to £1.50.
  • Options
    owned by a French company so they couldn't give a toss.

really hoping that the barriers being removed eases the congestion.
  • Options
    No government in the world would get rid of that milking machine.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

How does that work?

Capitalism...........
    Greedy bastards i was thinking.
  • Options

Not owned by the government.
  • Options
    I thought that it is owned by the government and the money goes to the government ultimately, the French company simply run it on behalf of the government for a nice fee obviously.
  • Options
    Got my cynical head on, but I wonder how long before they re-introduce charging vehicles after 10pm now that it's becoming automated?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simple. Despite being over-charged for years and the bridge being paid for over and again, they are hacking up prices to pay for the new expensive state of the art camera system which is being set up to sting us.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

There's trillions of things the government doesn't own.
    Doesn't stop them making money out of them though.
  • Options

Uboat said:

True, but it is owned by the UK Government Highways Agency. Of course the government makes the VAT as well as the fee from the French operating company.
  • Options

Uboat said:

True, but it is owned by the UK Government Highways Agency. Of course the government makes the VAT as well as the fee from the French operating company.
    As well as none of the running costs, easy money.
  • Options

Uboat said:

True, but it is owned by the UK Government Highways
    There you have it then.

• Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    I know I do this evey time this subject comes up, but may I again recommend for further reading the book what my late brother wrote entitled 'Clockwise: the M25' is still on special offer from Amazon for a bargain 00.1p (s/hand). It's very reader friendly with lots of photos: ideal for passing the time when sitting in the M25 jams. I thank you.

• Options
    March51 said:

I know I do this evey time this subject comes up, but may I again recommend for further reading the book what my late brother wrote entitled 'Clockwise: the M25' is still on special offer from Amazon for a bargain 00.1p (s/hand). It's very reader friendly with lots of photos: ideal for passing the time when sitting in the M25 jams. I thank you.

Of which 0.0750p goes to the government.

;-)

• Options
    Well I think it's a bloody disgrace. Oh no hang on , I'm in the local residents scheme so pay £20 a year for unlimited use.

TOUGH LUCK SUCKERS!
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Well I think it's a bloody disgrace. Oh no hang on , I'm in the local residents scheme so pay £20 a year for unlimited use.

TOUGH LUCK SUCKERS!

Well I have a coracle and I keep a car on either side of the estuary, so I don't have to pay the £20.
    HA

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

TOUGH LUCK SUCKERS!

As I understand it the local residents deal is being replaced with 20 free trips a year after which you will have to pay along with the rest of us suckers
  • Options
    madadd said:

buckshee said:

TOUGH LUCK SUCKERS!

As I understand it the local residents deal is being replaced with 20 free trips a year after which you will have to pay along with the rest of us suckers
    Nope.

At the moment I can pay £10 per year for 50 trips or £20 for unlimited. After the barriers go it's just £20 for unlimited. I've already received a letter confirming this.
  • Options
    Maddad, also being a local resident I have been informed there three selections you can choose, one stay with the local residence as is ie pay your £10 get your 50 free trips then pay at a rate of 20p per trip, 2nd is pay a yearly fee of £20 and pass through every time for free, or the 3rd is to join the rest of you suckers and pay the new rate of £2-50 each way.

If anybody is wondering why us elect few get these three choices it because the choas the crossing caused to us locals, it's not unusual for it to take an hour to get from Dartford town centre to the blue circle roundabout. Also as another example yesterday when you came across the bridge you could clearly see the pollution hanging over dirty Dartford.
  • Options
    Plus at the moment they are doing night works in preparation for the barriers coming out. This means occasionally being woken up at 3am to the sound of pneumatic drills.
  • Options

Maddad, also being a local resident I have been informed there three selections you can choose, one stay with the local residence as is ie pay your £10 get your 50 free trips then pay at a rate of 20p per trip, 2nd is pay a yearly fee of £20 and pass through every time for free, or the 3rd is to join the rest of you suckers and pay the new rate of £2-50 each way.

If anybody is wondering why us elect few get these three choices it because the choas the crossing caused to us locals, it's not unusual for it to take an hour to get from Dartford town centre to the blue circle roundabout. Also as another example yesterday when you came across the bridge you could clearly see the pollution hanging over dirty Dartford.

I stand corrected re residents benefits and glad to hear they are being retained and as a long term 3no dart tag holder I will only be a partial sucker still benefitting from a toll less a 1/3 , still think the whole thing is a rip off
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    £2:50? Thats less than a millionth of what we paid for Francis Jeffers! Jeez!
  • Options
    Maddad totally agree about it being a rip off, should be free to everybody. also another thing to think about, it's not been explained how they will collect the tolls from foreign cars and lorries.
  • Options
    This is my biggest gripe. You watch the fees go up again in the not to distant future to cover the fact that no one on a foreign plate is paying the toll. It's a lot easier to dodge when you haven't got a barrier in front of you.
  • Options

Maddad totally agree about it being a rip off, should be free to everybody. also another thing to think about, it's not been explained how they will collect the tolls from foreign cars and lorries.

No need to, as we will be paying for them in the increase, if it's the same as TFL.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/unpaid_congestion_charges_by_for_2
  • Options
    Interesting guinessaddick, I would think that for tunnel the numbers would be greater as well, I wondered why they put the tolls up when they saved so much on reductions on staff. I think I might change my comment from rip off to a total bloody rip off.