Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The timing of the Ched Evans rape trial...

1235»

Comments

• Admittedly I know little about the case relatively speaking, but it always struck me as strange that Ched Evans went down for the crime yet Clayton McDonald who appeared to be in the same scenario was let off.
  • edited May 2014
    The whole saga is awful, from the crime itself to the conduct of some Utd fans.

Now, if the rumours are true and he is returning then it is a terrible conclusion to the event.

Regardless of the prison sentence, criminal record etc there is surely a case that Sheffield Utd should sack him for bringing the club into disrepute. Seriously, in what other industry (politics maybe) would someone be able to do what he has done and return to their previous employment.

I understand the legal system and accept that once someone has completed their sentence they have the right to reintegrate into society. However, the life of a footballer is not 'normal' society and no club, particularly the one he let down in such a nasty way, should give him such an easy ride back to fame and fortune.
  • Admittedly I know little about the case relatively speaking, but it always struck me as strange that Ched Evans went down for the crime yet Clayton McDonald who appeared to be in the same scenario was let off.

http://www.chedevans.com
  • edited May 2014
    Jayajosh said:

Admittedly I know little about the case relatively speaking, but it always struck me as strange that Ched Evans went down for the crime yet Clayton McDonald who appeared to be in the same scenario was let off.

As the link you give represents those claiming Evans was 'innocent' it is hardly a source of unbiased information for someone who said they "know little about the case" (as you must surely have known?).

The following link provides a summary of the case and a further link to the full transcript of his unsuccessful appeal - for anyone actually interested in the detail:

http://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans

• red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

He made a mistake. Might not be what you would consider a nice or good person, but at the end of the day he's done his time.

No, you wouldn't what that kind of thing associated with your club, it would be hard to cheer him on if he played for your club, but he has still done time for his mistake.
    He has a damaging criminal record to his name, but deserves a 2nd chance... Which maybe shouldn't be in football, but if it is, then, oh well.

Some mistake! Deserves no second chance at all and most people would say that he has served nothing like he deserved.

I could never cheer anything that a convicted rapist did.
    He is a convicted rapist for sure and I am not going to stick up for him on that basis, he of course deserved a big sentence, but...

1. It was not a pre-meditated attack.

2. The victim in question suffered no injury of any kind, and from word of mouth it could have been a case that she agreed to have sex with him at the time.

The reason why he has to be jailed is that he should have noted she was in no condition to have sex as she was intoxicated, and would have appeared so.

She stated that she could not remember a thing, and In that, I would hope she did not suffer as much emotional trauma as perhaps another rape victim would have.

He is certainly no gentleman, and his actions on that night are very shameful.

Still I would say that the man is not the devil and his mistake has cost him a lot, both personally and professionally.

I wouldn't have him at Charlton but if another club signed him up, it wouldn't bother me, that's the choice of that club.
  • Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

He made a mistake. Might not be what you would consider a nice or good person, but at the end of the day he's done his time.

No, you wouldn't what that kind of thing associated with your club, it would be hard to cheer him on if he played for your club, but he has still done time for his mistake.
    He has a damaging criminal record to his name, but deserves a 2nd chance... Which maybe shouldn't be in football, but if it is, then, oh well.

Some mistake! Deserves no second chance at all and most people would say that he has served nothing like he deserved.

He is a convicted rapist for sure and I am not going to stick up for him on that basis, he of course deserved a big sentence, but...

2. The victim in question suffered no injury of any kind, and from word of mouth it could have been a case that she agreed to have sex with him at the time.

The reason why he has to be jailed is that he should have noted she was in no condition to have sex as she was intoxicated, and would have appeared so.

She stated that she could not remember a thing, and In that, I would hope she did not suffer as much emotional trauma as perhaps another rape victim would have.

Still I would say that the man is not the devil and his mistake has cost him a lot, both personally and professionally.

I wouldn't have him at Charlton but if another club signed him up, it wouldn't bother me, that's the choice of that club.
    1. Not premeditated? By how long? Is there a time limit as to when something is considered premeditated or not? Surely he made a decision before raping her that he was going to do just that?

2. I'm sure, even if there were no physical injuries, although I'm not sure if this is the case, the mental scars will last for life.

She will never be able to move on if he continues to live his life exactly as he did before.
  • micks1950 said:

Jayajosh said:

Admittedly I know little about the case relatively speaking, but it always struck me as strange that Ched Evans went down for the crime yet Clayton McDonald who appeared to be in the same scenario was let off.

As the link you give represents those claiming Evans was 'innocent' it is hardly a source of unbiased information for someone who said they "know little about the case" (as you must surely have known?).

The following link provides a summary of the case and a further link to the full transcript of his unsuccessful appeal - for anyone actually interested in the detail:

http://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans

Interesting, I've wondered ever since the trial how McDonald was found innocent and Evans found guilty - that link makes it fairly clear how the jury could have returned that decision.
  • Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

1. Not premeditated? By how long? Is there a time limit as to when something is considered premeditated or not? Surely he made a decision before raping her that he was going to do just that?

2. I'm sure, even if there were no physical injuries, although I'm not sure if this is the case, the mental scars will last for life.

She will never be able to move on if he continues to live his life exactly as he did before.
    I remember the case and took more time to do research on it before I posted my 2nd comment to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

None of what you have said here is based on a certainty of the truth. I went by what the court said.

I don't doubt the likeliness that she has suffered mental scars and not once have I said he deserved to get off.

• So how is he meant to live his life so that she can move on?

He's a footballer so surely he will go back to playing football.
  • Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

The thing is Dave, someone extremely close to me has gone through it.

Point 1 - It also wasn't pre-meditated.

Point 2 - She suffered no physical injury.

As a result of it, she had to have an abortion.

If ever I learn the identity of the man that did it, I will kill him with my bare hands. And serve about ten more years than him, because it would be pre-meditated and I'd make sure that he suffered.

There is no justification for rape in any way.
  • Sponsored links:

• red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

If ever I learn the identity of the man that did it, I will kill him with my bare hands. And serve about ten more years than him, because it would be pre-meditated and I'd make sure that he suffered.

I'm sorry to hear that and will comment no further on the subject.
  • LenGlover said:

Very disappointed with Nigel Clough if this is anything other than paper talk.

I've always regarded him as a decent man with family values.

I'm pretty sure there was an article about a month or so ago that said Clough and the Sheff Utd chairman had been to visit Evans in prison so i wouldn't be at all surprised to see him playing for them again.
    Football is big business and like him or loathe him, Evans is far too good a striker for league one level and will cost United nothing so they will no doubt take the decision that any initial outcry about re-signing him will all be forgotten once Evans is scoring goals and leading them to a probable promotion.
  • Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

I'm sorry to hear that and will comment no further on the subject.
    Not at all Dave. It's a forum and we all have opinions. Unfortunately this one is a little bit too close to me. I'll bow out of this discussion fella.
  • Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

Dave2l said:

I remember the case and took more time to do research on it before I posted my 2nd comment to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

None of what you have said here is based on a certainty of the truth. I went by what the court said.

I don't doubt the likeliness that she has suffered mental scars and not once have I said he deserved to get off.

Mental scars are often more difficult to heal than physical injuries.
  • I hope really hope that an old clogger at the end of his with a daughter snaps Evans legs in half

The family of the girl should go to the training ground follow him home and finish him off so he can never play football again

If any of you knew that the person next to you was a convicted rapist would you conversate with him would you accept him

Rapist filth
  • From the MD at the blades.

That figure should tell you all about how real the story is.
  • You wonder how often these things happen, groups of spoilt young footballers with girls flinging themselves at them can easily find their moral judgement going a bit wrong, and as the case summary showed, this was a complicated case, with a lot hanging on the interpretation of consent...
  • We have had fans recently saying because RD has taken over and he sacked CP they wouldn't be renewing their season tickets. I can assure you now that if we were Sheffield Utd and Ched Evans was returning as a player I would definitely not be renewing my season ticket. I could not sit week in week out supporting a convicted rapist.
  • edited May 2014
    I believe they are still looking at launching a fresh new appeal to get a new trial with new information not there before and they seem confident of winning. Obviously I think rape is despicable. However what happens if his lawyers are successful in getting the 2012 conviction quashed with a new retrial where he is then aquitted? That would mean he is free to resume a career in football regardless to what anyone thinks. It's down to balence of probability. But maybe regardless Ched should tell any academy youngsters to be careful of the situations they can get themselves into on a night out. That would make them aware how precious their football careers is and that they might only get one chance. That would way Ched is putting good back into the community even if it never erases what he has been convicted of.
  • Gonna sink this one until fresh news emerge. Not a subject matter I'm overly comfortable with, and from a modding point of view carries a high risk of going wrong as a thread. Thread still open to debate, but not wanting to be bossing the top of the forum. Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014

First, presumably any convicted rapist had a penis that was working on the basis that it was pre-meditated otherwise the "penetration" requirement for a rape (as opposed to attempted rape) may have been rather tricky.

Second, no one on here knows whether the victim suffered any mental trauma or not do they? So to say she suffered no injury of any kind is somewhat obtuse.

Third, plenty of professions refuse to take on people with criminal convictions (Timpsons - the shoe repair firm is (was?) an honourable exception). Salesmen lose their jobs for "merely" losing their driving licence, anyone in financial services would be unemployable if they had had a fraud conviction, the list is endless.

I think with any sentence over 4 years the conviction is never spent and has to be disclosed to prospective employers.

Clearly, employing a convicted rapist is not a good look for any business concerned with its public image.
  • edited September 2014
    His GF(How on earth she can still be with him I don't know) has pleaded for him to be allowed to play Football again

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girlfriend-rapist-footballer-ched-evans-4342981

this comes only 2 weeks after Chris Coleman said he will talk to Evans once he is out about returning for Wales
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2755345/Chris-Coleman-talk-convicted-rapist-Ched-Evans-possible-Wales-return.html