Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The timing of the Ched Evans rape trial...

Comments

• Options

Convicted rapist footballer Ched Evans will return to Sheffield United this summer on day-release from prison.

And if the striker’s fitness levels are up to scratch, he will sign a £3million three-year contract before Christmas.

Evans, 25, is due to be fully released in October after serving half of his five years for raping a 19-year-old woman.

But the Welsh international will be allowed out on day-release from July and will return to Bramhall Lane for pre-season training while tagged.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/convicted-rapist-footballer-ched-evans-3604122#ixzz32jboQdxW

£3m over three years ? That's £20k a week, surely a League One striker who's not played a game in two and a half years can't command that sort of salary ?
  • Options

Convicted rapist footballer Ched Evans will return to Sheffield United this summer on day-release from prison.

And if the striker’s fitness levels are up to scratch, he will sign a £3million three-year contract before Christmas.

Evans, 25, is due to be fully released in October after serving half of his five years for raping a 19-year-old woman.

But the Welsh international will be allowed out on day-release from July and will return to Bramhall Lane for pre-season training while tagged.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/convicted-rapist-footballer-ched-evans-3604122#ixzz32jboQdxW

Disgraceful
  • Options
    Everyone still prefer United over Wednesday now?
  • Options

Disgraceful
    What is disgraceful?
  • Options
    interesting Figures those and sounds like paper talk re the contract

I highly doubt they will be paying 20K PW in the first year.

One player I hope suffers an injury or loss of form. He got caught doing something. IMO, many players have done similar with no action taken because the girls didnt stand up im Court.

would you do the same on a night out with your team if you got the attention? We all hope the answer is no, no matter the surrounding circumstances. Sharing random drunk girls around to film it for the noteriety is crass behavior no matter the question of alleged consent IMO
  • Options
    Well I'm sure he's learned his lesson....
  • Options
    Should be paid minimum wage for first year of his contract. I'd rather not see him back in football at all but he's done his time, albeit not nowhere near long enough in my opinion, and should be allowed to find gainful employment as would any other person. It just sticks in the craw a bit that as soon as he's allowed out he's back at the same Club being rewarded with a three year contract. I wonder how his victim feels. I wonder how his team mates feel.
  • Options
    Scum
    But you ban him from the game you have to ban anyone convicted of any crime. Drink driving, theft, harassment ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Disgraceful
    What is disgraceful?
    everything

He served so little
    he is being let out to train with the team
    he will be given a 3 million pound contract

What does his victim get Fuck All, I am sorry for swearing I no its not allowed so if you want to ban me then fine I am just pissed off with Footballers getting away with anything they do
    I don't feel the same way but it doesn't look like you have an open mind on the subject (which is, of course, perfectly acceptable) so I'll leave it there.
  • Options
    Emotionally I feel the same as Paulie, but logically we can't have one rule for most of society and another for the rich. Evans has to return to society and be regarded as having paid his debt to it. Sadly he will be able to get on with his life while his victim will forever be scarred.
  • Options

Disgraceful
    What is disgraceful?
    everything

He served so little
    he is being let out to train with the team
    he will be given a 3 million pound contract

What does his victim get Fuck All, I am sorry for swearing I no its not allowed so if you want to ban me then fine I am just pissed off with Footballers getting away with anything they do
    Agreed. Stevie G is another scummer. And Giggs. But cause they're footballers it is all ok.
  • Options
    If true, Sheffield United are the problem.

As predicted.
  • Options
    Sheff Utd are setting a terrible example - think they're trivialising the crime.
  • Options
    I doubt he'll be earning anywhere close to 3m a year in league one
  • Options

I think it's a million a year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you read the mirror article it's "a £3million three-year contract...a new £18,000-a-week deal"....

• Options
    They would be mad to pay him a tenth of that quoted salary, especially with the flak and probable loss of sponsors it may cause...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Maybe he's seen the light ( through prison bars) and promised to donate half his wages to a local charity for distressed women...

:-)
  • Options
    If this was not football, surely he would find it very difficult to find work having a criminal record and being on the sex offenders list? Unless employers don't have the right to know this?
  • Options

They would be mad to pay him a tenth of that quoted salary, especially with the flak and probable loss of sponsors it may cause...

How would it affect sponsors? Didn't you hear them at the Valley? "That boy Ched Evans, he s***s who he wants"

He'll be welcomed with open arms by Sheff Utd
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think it's just paper talk.
  • Options
    I do believe that once someone has served their time they should be allowed to make a living, but this has left a surprisingly bitter taste in my mouth mainly because of the double standards in football. If he hadn't been such a key player for them, they wouldn't go anywhere near him and that makes me pretty angry.
  • Options

I do believe that once someone has served their time they should be allowed to make a living, but this has left a surprisingly bitter taste in my mouth mainly because of the double standards in football. If he hadn't been such a key player for them, they wouldn't go anywhere near him and that makes me pretty angry.

But is that not true of all occupations? Football is an obvious results business but I would suggest that all jobs, that have an easy way to measure performance, have employees that can fail to conform and be allowed to stay on the payroll where less successful colleagues would have to go.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    He is a registered sex offender another Stuart hall.....

She said no Evans, She said no
    She said no, Evans, She said no,
    She said no, Evans, She said no,
    Oh Evans she said no.
    Rapist scuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum
  • Options

But is that not true of all occupations? Football is an obvious results business but I would suggest that all jobs, that have an easy way to measure performance, have employees that can fail to conform and be allowed to stay on the payroll where less successful colleagues would have to go.
    Maybe in theory, but do you have any examples?

I couldn't imagine a director in my company bouncing back into the same job and salary following a rape conviction.

I think it's more likely to happen at the lower end of the wage scale.