Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Minimum age limit for a pro footballer?

edited April 2012 in General Charlton
13 years old has got to be too young to play in a full league game?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17886208

Comments

• I had mates play pub football at 14-15, this is just the same
  • We once had a 4 year old play in goal for us in a Saturday league game.

If you're good enough, you're old enough......
  • He must have some paper round, he looks about 22!
  • He must have some paper round, he looks about 22!
    He probably has to top-up his Scott's Div 1 wage! ;)
  • We once had a 4 year old play in goal for us in a Saturday league game.

If you're good enough, you're old enough......
    next you'll say his birthday is on February 29th
  • Norman Whiteside .. was 16 on his debut .. he looked about 30 then .. a beast .. Paul Konchesky was 16 when he debuted for us ..
  • Plenty of players started their careers at 16, but they weren't 13 though were they.
  • I remember John Bostock was 15 when he made his debut for palace
  • I remember John Bostock was 15 when he made his debut for palace
    With all due respect to Bostock, this lad is playing for Hamilton...
  • Plenty of players started their careers at 16, but they weren't 13 though were they.

not if they were 16
  • Sponsored links:

not if they were 16
    My original post was about a 13 year old player, wtf's it got to do with 16 year old players? I wouldn't have posted it in the first place had he been 16.
  • I had mates play pub football at 14-15, this is just the same
    Apart from a couple of years.....
  • Doubt there is a minimum age limit, but players under 18 have to get changed on their own due to child protection laws
  • No I don't think there is an official minimum age, but if he was my son, I'm not sure I'd be wanting him to play in a full league men's game for at least another 2 years.
  • Doubt there is a minimum age limit, but players under 18 have to get changed on their own due to child protection laws
    really?! crazy
    messi had to change on his own due to these reasons. also he was a very shy lad so continued to change on his own for a couple of years after his 18th.
  • I'm sure there used to be rules regarding match lengths, children under a certain age couldn't play 90 min matches or something like that? Have vague memories of 80 minute matches as a young teen and being explained to that the rules state that certain age groups could only play matches upto a certain length. Could be cobblers I don't really know!
  • The problem the clubs have is if they showcase a player who is too young to sign pro forms, he can leave for no money. The club may get compensation, but it's unlikely to make up for the loss.
  • It's not so much the fact that he's under contact at 13, it's the physical side of it that would concern me.
    messi had to change on his own due to these reasons. also he was a very shy lad so continued to change on his own for a couple of years after his 18th.
    and he's got a small willy. he's gotta have something wrong with him surely.