Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardener in Birchington, Kent

Bit of a long shot but can anyone recommend a gardener in the Birchington, Kent area that would be willing to help out with my mums garden.

She has been using several guys over the last year or two and paying around the £10.00 per hour mark but she cannot seem to get anyone reliable.

Its a very small garden at the rear, a few flower beds in the front and a large flower bed on the side, 4 hours a month is enough so there is not a lot of money to be made, we just want reliability.

Thanks

Comments

• One option might be to invite someone to use the side and back land as an allotment and pay your Mum in fruit and veg. You can't get an allotment in Kent for love nor money so this garden hire is becoming quite a popular option for older people.
  • Hi SA, thanks for coming back to me with the idea, I am afraid she rents the bungalow and the landlord will not allow this. To be honest she likes to get out out in the back garden so its really only a small lawn that needs cutting, the front and the side beds are very small but just need regular weeding and at 87 she cannot get down there anymore.
  • shouldn't the landlord sort out a gardener?
  • shouldn't the landlord sort out a gardener?
    No, upkeep of the garden and internal decoration is down to mum
  • perhaps a neigbour who likes looking after their own garden might be willing?
  • perhaps a neigbour who likes looking after their own garden might be willing?
    Been there and done that, trouble is they are all in their 80's and have family close by that can pop in and cut the grass etc. I am not that local to her so she needs a regular visit weekly or fortnightly.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, she is going to look in the newsagents window again as there are a few advertising who are local.
  • edited April 2012
    http://www.tidygardenscanterbury.co.uk/

Mate of mine - not had him do my garden so can't recommend based on his work, but I do know he's not the type to not turn up etc!
  • Cheers Neil, I will call tham and discuss rates etc.
  • Bit saucy asking someone to sort out yours mums garden!!
    What the hell are you talking about now...honestly you do come up with some weird stuff iaitch!
    Believe it or not there are folk in this world who do kindnesses for old folk if their reatives aren't around, as would seem the case here. And anyway Mike isn't asking for charity you wassock!
    Hope you can find someone to help you and your Mum out Mike....I know what a worry it is when you can't be there as often as you'd like to look after an elderly parent.

• Sponsored links:

What the hell are you talking about now...honestly you do come up with some weird stuff iaitch!
    Believe it or not there are folk in this world who do kindnesses for old folk if their reatives aren't around, as would seem the case here. And anyway Mike isn't asking for charity you wassock!
    Hope you can find someone to help you and your Mum out Mike....I know what a worry it is when you can't be there as often as you'd like to look after an elderly parent.

Thanks Soundas, I ignored iaitch's remark because I think he was edging towards someone sorting out her "garden/bush" snigger, snigger. He obviously missed the bit above when I said she is 87.
    Sometimes it's just better to say nothing at all.
  • Looks like eaststandmike gets where I was going. Apologies then, I hope everyone else on this board making suggestive remarks is also reprimanded.
  • I didn't realise that this forum was so strait-laced.
  • edited May 2012
    I didn't realise that this forum was so strait-laced.
    Just respectful over certain issues, which not unsurprisingly pass you by.

• edited May 2012
    Removed
  • Removed
    Good lad.

• Just say Solly.
  • Sorry why was my comment removed?
  • Just say Florry.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't always agree with peoples comments on here but respect the right that they can comment and have their own view.

I don't think I've said anything wrong but the forums prudes are out in force today.
  • edited May 2012
    Hi ESM
    We have a gardener for our resident common areas and Birchington is quite close so I asked him about it. Basically he's saying that no gardener is going to travel and pay out fuel costs to get somewhere to earn what would be a very small sum of money. Plus be careful about how much info you divulge in newsagents windows etc. Sadly, older people living on their own can be targets for the thieves and vagabonds. If there are other people in similar circumstances, then it might be best to form a small group so that a gardener can be offered an afternoons work. I really hope you find someone, I know it's the sort of thing that is important to more elderly people.
  • Sorry why was my comment removed?
    I don't always agree with peoples comments on here but respect the right that they can comment and have their own view.

I don't think I've said anything wrong but the forums prudes are out in force today.
    What the hell is wrong with you ?

You make a smutty, sexual remark about someone you don't knows 87 year old mum, and then you question that person's ability as a son because he is unable to do her garden (for what could be a host of different reasons that are none of your business). What part of that conversation do you see as acceptable ?

The intolerance and rudeness of people to fellow posters has gone through the roof lately. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. Beginning to hate my own site. Its currently incontrolable because there are too many people that don't a sh*t about anything other than themselves.

Not having it any longer, and if that means having to get rid of 100, 200 whatever odd people that have no respect for how we want this forum to operate, or for their fellow posters, then that looks like what we are going to have to do. Clearly asking nicely and issuing warnings has no impact whatsoever. Absolute joke.

• keep the faith mate ... still far more posters on here that have some values
  • i know, and i promise we will get back to that even if that leaves us with just a few hundred.
  • I'm happy to start making a list for you if you like? :-)
  • just say Ampelopsis brevipedunculata
  • there is no clique
  • AFKA

I see plenty of smutty remarks on here and disrespectful comments on various subjects. As I said I don't always agree with peoples view but put up with them as we are all different.

In this instance I agree, in light of your explanation, that I have overstepped the mark and apologise to eaststandmike for causing offence.

No offence was intended, I got it wrong. that thin line between banter and rudeness has been crossed.

I hope I can still contribute to the serious and lighthearted threads ?

• You're right afka. Far too many people posting cheap & smutty innuendos for my liking.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!