Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Songs That Mean Something to you ?

Just had a great chat with the family about music and different songs also about how it effected them emotionally.
My Dad had some interesting songs
The Hollies-He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother-
My old man was in the navy about 30 years ago and he's best mate worked with him, He's mate tragically died in a car crash and that song reminds him of he's best mate.

Micheal Jackson-One day in your Life-
This was he's first date and he used to sing it to her. (Bit Cringey i know)

A recent one for me was
Coldplay-Speed Of Sound
The song came out around the time of 7/7 attacks on London, For some reason the song just reminds me of that tragic event.

Has any of you got songs that mean something to you or something you can relate to ?

Comments

• Options
    spiller grovejet.. first song on the radio as i pulled off the concorse at wj kings welling in my first ever car, a british racing green corsa loved that car whenever i hear that song i remember driving home towards plumstead with the windows down in MY car and thinking about all the adventures i had in it...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Pink Floyd - Wish you were here - Got into Floyd just as my grandad died so always reminds me of him
    Jerusalem - A moving song in itself, but also played at his funeral so reminds me of him again, strange I know but I was only about 14 and from a lot of the stories I hear about him he was the kind of guy you would get the best out of after one (or several drinks), so obviously something I never really got to experience.

Thanks Charlton Life... You are my Oprah...

Echo and the Bunnymen - Killing Moon some relationship I kind of had that went horribly wrong (didn't kill her, promise)
    This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren - First love
    This Mortal Coil - Kangaroo - First love again.

What a girl.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    'I'm a Stranger in Paradie' from the show: Kismet. Got dragged along to see this many years ago in the Wet End. My dad fell asleep and started snorng during this song. Always have a smile at that memory of him and of my mum not talking to him all the way home.
  • Options
    This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren - First love
    This Mortal Coil - Kangaroo - First love again.
    Same here, bizarrely - put them both on a tape for my first girlfriend....

Other than that, "This Is The Sea" by The Waterboys - got me thru a few dark moments.. would recommend reading the lyrics, for those who don't know it.

• Options
    Luther Vandross - Dance with my father
  • Options
    Wires by Athlete.

A very good friend of mine had twins a few years back. One didn't make it :( Still find it really hard to listen to this song without a tear forming.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ennio morricone on earth as it is in heaven. Reminds me of past and trying to make amends
  • Options
    Simply Red- Money's too tight to mention
  • Options
    Brand New Start - Paul Weller
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maria McKee show me heaven reminds me of the play off final as it was used in the build up on sky sports.

D-Ream things can only get better man u away.
  • Options
    The Verve - The Drugs don't Work, can't listen to it without crying as it reminds me of my father-in-law who passed away from cancer.
    My husband can't listed to Puff Daddy I'll be Missing You for the same reason.
  • Options
    Remember that Billy...D-ream.
  • Options
    Silver Machine, Hawkwind. The joys of a club 18-30 holiday in Benidorm.
  • Options
    I love music and there are many songs that stir emotions in me.

One fairly obscure tune which I think sums me up is "Be My Friend" by Free. I do value friendship highly and this track will be played at my funeral (hopefully in about 30 years' time!).
  • Options
    Sitting on the dock of the bay by Ottis Redding is my all time favourite song of all time.It brings back so many happy memories of my youth.
  • Options
    'Baby Love' by Diana Ross. Reminds me of my first ventures into discos.
  • Options
    'Baby Love' by Diana Ross. Reminds me of my first ventures into discos.
    I love those crisps :-0

• Options
    Ha ha! MiA!
  • Options
    Another apostrophe misuse!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry ... but i do!
  • Options
    Tragedy - Bee Gees.

It's the one thing that sticks in my mind about my first trip to The Valley (and no, that isn't a joke - it was playing when we walked in)
  • Options
    Brand New Start - Paul Weller
    Great song
  • Options
    Yellow by Coldplay. Played at my 21 year old cousins funeral. Really hard to listen to it

Andrea Boccellis Time to say Goodbye - grandads funeral and hearing my man wailing :-(

Eric Claptons Wonderful Tonight - first dance at my wedding
  • Options
    Alex
  • Options
    Solsbury hill by peter gabriel.
  • Options
    Don't like the song or know who its by but it samples every breath you take by the police.
    was played at my friends 10 year old daughters funeral.
    i held it together until this came on and set her dance class mates off, which set me into floods of tears.

'kin hell. just typing it has blown dust in my eyes.
  • Options
    for some reason I love - Elvis American Trilogy. No reason but it just gives me goosebumps!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Green Day Wake me up when september ends. This was on when I got the phone call telling me my dad had cancer.
  • Options
    An amazing song - Listen to the words. This song always affects me.

http://youtu.be/7ubM1NRTqiU