Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager

Comments

• tactically, Redknapp is inept
  • Hodgson is comfortably the best qualified English candidate IMO.
    Good news.
  • Give it to Gary Neville.
  • Whether Harry is bent or not (and a court found him not guilty), he's the highest placed manager in the Premiere League currently
    How soon we forget.Do you lot not remember when Steve Bull was the highest scorer in English football?
  • Every time Woy has got a high profile job (Blackburn when they were good and had money), Liverpool, he has looked totally out of his depth.

Managing Fulham and West Brom is one thing, taking the most high profile, highly scrutinised job in world football is another.

Im not sure he would have the respect that Redknapp would. He has international experience though so think thats why the FA fancy him so much.
  • I think hes a man with his head screwed on and would do a decent job. Lets face it, he has nothing to live up to as we have not won anything in 50 odd years!. Give him a chance. I think it depends on how you judge a manager, but i honestly think he will get more out the players then Capello did.
  • yeah, completely out of his depth at inter and with the swiss national team. Harry has next to no experience outside english football, and apart from the last couple of yeard has been a manager of middling teams at best, more often struggling teams. His great strength is wheeling and dealing, a skill that is next to useless in international management.
  • You could have Woy & Harry in charge and it still wont make any difference, until we start producing some home grown talent that is capable of competing with the best in Europe/World we will be lucky to reach the quarter finals in any comp
  • Done to death really, this one. May as well be Woy. In fact he'll be more used to creating a team out of limited players than Harry. Problem is the players all think they're better than they are.
  • Best man for the job, and despite a jury not understanding why Harry's dog owning a bank account might be (ahem) questionable, I really don't want a man of Harry's "calibre" running my national team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Has Roy learned nothing took the job at Liverpool when the media and a majority of fans wanted kenny

Take the England job when the media and the majority of fans want harry

Madness hiding to nothing , he will have to reach the final minimum to not get pelters
  • Decent man. Safe choice. But I just have this nagging feeling. Wasn't that what we all said about the bloke who turned out to be ''the wally with a brolly''?

• *cough cough* Guardiola on a free...
    And why would he want to manage England?
  • Give it to Gary Neville.
    good shout
  • edited April 2012
    Decent man. Safe choice. But I just have this nagging feeling. Wasn't that what we all said about the bloke who turned out to be ''the wally with a brolly''?

No! Said at the time, poor choice! Wanted O'Neill back then.

• Well I think it would be a good appointment.

At Blackburn he was extremely unlucky. At Liverpool he had to fight off the "noises off" of one K Dalgleish who as we all know wanted the job he gave up (understandably) after the Hillsborough disaster.

For all his legendary status, Kenny has not pulled up any trees at Liverpool since he took over from Woy. Indeed the big problem for Liverpool is that they just are not as strong as they were.

Woy has a really impressive CV other than whilst managing the teams above.

I feel sorry for Harry, because I think he probably would have been a better choice. We don't know though if Harry was privately sounded out and turned it down. His health maybe also be a factor.
  • Let's just wait and see what crap turns up in the euro's wearing a England shirt
  • Let's just wait and see what crap turns up in the euro's wearing a England shirt
    Gerrard's probably lining up a cartilage operation as I write this.
  • Cant wait to see the return of Konch at left back for England
  • i say give it to ray wilkins or ian holloway, atleast i would watch their interviews on SSN
  • Sponsored links:

• Steve Mclaren all over again...
  • Hope he gets it and takes it. Decent man and good manager who has international experience and tactical awareness. Redknapp has too much baggage and is tactically poor. We have half a chance of a decent run under Hodgson....but with the team we have, decent should be through the group games and maybe one more win. We are not going to win the thing.
  • A cynic would say its the cheap option. I believe Roy is out of contract at the end of the season whereas Spurs would demand huge compensation and no doubt Harry would push for a higher wage than Roy. After paying off the inept Italian, there is probably a shortage of coffers!
  • Will be a big mistake for both parties

100 % certain
  • Ian Holloway would be fun. He'd soon put Gerrard, Terry, Lampard and co in their place.
  • Never understood the Redknapp love-in. It's not like he can go out and buy a couple of players in the transfer window when England look in danger of bombing out in the group stages. The man has the tactical nous of a cheese & pickle sandwich. Hodgson will make the best of the extremely limited talent he has available to him and is surely the only realistic candidate. I'd like to see Pearce have a crack at club management somewhere before taking over the England job, but if Woy can stand the undoubtedly horrendous character assassination that is undoubtedly forthcoming from 'onest 'arry's pals in Wapping, then it might give Pearce a good lead-in for the job.
  • Never understood the Redknapp love-in. It's not like he can go out and buy a couple of players in the transfer window when England look in danger of bombing out in the group stages. The man has the tactical nous of a cheese & pickle sandwich. Hodgson will make the best of the extremely limited talent he has available to him and is surely the only realistic candidate. I'd like to see Pearce have a crack at club management somewhere before taking over the England job, but if Woy can stand the undoubtedly horrendous character assassination that is undoubtedly forthcoming from 'onest 'arry's pals in Wapping, then it might give Pearce a good lead-in for the job.
    Very true
  • We just need a manager to clear out Terry and company and start again with a young, albeit more limited squad. I know they're different sports, but we'd need a partnership like Hussain and Fletcher in the England cricket team. Cleared out the older "county pro" team which contained players who at first class level where fantastic, but just could never quite do it for the country. They gave younger players with raw talent a shot and added in some experienced heads that gave 100% at all times and practically started again. Got a good grass roots project set out and 5 years later we win the ashes and 10-12 years later England are now one of the best nations in the world with young talent still flowing. It needs a long term plan and commitment from all sides, but it could work?
  • A cynic would say its the cheap option. I believe Roy is out of contract at the end of the season whereas Spurs would demand huge compensation and no doubt Harry would push for a higher wage than Roy. After paying off the inept Italian, there is probably a shortage of coffers!
    I suspect this is by far the most accurate post on here!
  • I don't think Roy would be the best choice. I just think he would be out of his depth with the high profile prima donnas we still have hanging around in the England squad. I get the feeling people think he is the first choice just because the FA have asked permission to interview him. Isn't this just the start of the interview process? I still have a sneaky feeling 'Arry is right in there and I would prefer him over Hodgson.