Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

HELP..with O2

2»

Comments

• Options
    Do I have this correct from the statements you have made?

You think her current contract was £48 per month.
    She then ran up a £425 bill.
    You advised her to offer to pay back £50 a month.
    They offered to let change to a tarrif of £42 per month.
    So your problem is.....?
    Whats with the attitude?
    The problem is the £425 bill. its clear other people have experianced the same type of roaming 'charges'. Is it right for her to accept the costs? is it right that if her tariff is being cancelled that it is only lowered by £6 a month? (other companies allow you to lower significantly)
    No attitude, but it is slightly harder to give anyone advise of any value when you don't have all the facts. It's not really about 'right' or 'wrong' - this is hardly a moral dilema.

However, it is now clear to me that what you actually want is for the forum to stand up as one and state that this is an outrage and that you should demand the entire bill be cancelled and that your girlfriend is sent a huge bunch of flowers to make up for any distress that has been caused.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    According to O2's website, there is an automatic cap of 40/month on international data roaming, unless you have opted for a higher cap of 120/month. This applies anywhere in the world. They should also text you after you've reached 20 and 40 (apologies for the lack of a pound sign on this Austrian keyboard!)

http://www.o2.co.uk/international/dataabroad_paymonthly

So, there's a few possibilities here...

1. O2 have made a mistake (most likely)
    2. The majority of the charges are for calls and texts, not data
    3. At some point, your girlfriend has 'opted out' of the automatic limit. Has she maybe been abroad before, reached the limit, and asked them to remove it?
    4. The Egyptian network did not notify O2 how much data had been used until too late.

As long as it's not 2 or 3, I would say she has a very good case for getting the charges reduced to 40 for data (unless she was unlucky and straddled two billing months). If not, I would go to Ofcom.
    cheers mate, will check it out
  • Options
    Do I have this correct from the statements you have made?

You think her current contract was £48 per month.
    She then ran up a £425 bill.
    You advised her to offer to pay back £50 a month.
    They offered to let change to a tarrif of £42 per month.
    So your problem is.....?
    Whats with the attitude?
    The problem is the £425 bill. its clear other people have experianced the same type of roaming 'charges'. Is it right for her to accept the costs? is it right that if her tariff is being cancelled that it is only lowered by £6 a month? (other companies allow you to lower significantly)
    No attitude, but it is slightly harder to give anyone advise of any value when you don't have all the facts. It's not really about 'right' or 'wrong' - this is hardly a moral dilema.

However, it is now clear to me that what you actually want is for the forum to stand up as one and state that this is an outrage and that you should demand the entire bill be cancelled and that your girlfriend is sent a huge bunch of flowers to make up for any distress that has been caused.
    Think your reading a bit too much into it inspector! Sometimes a forum is just a good place to vent some frustration on what a complete joke phone tariffs are! amongst other thinks.
  • Options
    Exquisite Arrangement - Cream please
  • Options
    Littlewoods programme transmitted this morning showed how easy it is to get stung by this.......
    The phone companies have been getting away with this for a long time, and with the current smart phones, it is very easy to run into trouble doing this.
    The data that the phone in the programme was the same as if she had sent or downloaded a quarter of a million emails.
    O2 refused to offer anymore than a 25 per cent discount.
    They have now I understand signed up to the International data roaming cap, which was being introduced while the episode of the show was being produced.
    I know i am going to put a £30 limit/cap on my phone, or leave the thing at home ..... Take a pay as you go for emergencies and go to an internet cafe if we have an emergency.
    Apparently the provider just sends the data used to your phone company.
    All sounds like a nice little 'earner '......
  • Options
    I think there's an ongoing investigation into the validity and fairness of roaming data costs.
    Isn't that EU only?
  • Options
    I think there's an ongoing investigation into the validity and fairness of roaming data costs.
    Isn't that EU only?
    Maybe. But England is EU.
  • Options
    Threaten to right off to watchdog on the telly they will not like the publicity see how you get on after all it was a honest mistake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Write I mean :-)
  • Options
    Watchdog had this on their show last night, check out Iplayer.
  • Options
    Jeeeeeezus

I used my O2 mobile in Egypt and my bill was £72 instead of £47 that was calls and texts only though. I always ensure data is off.
  • Options
    Isn't that EU only?
    Maybe. But England is EU.
    I did know that but Egypt isn't and that was where the phone was being used. That's the whole point.

httptelegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9171870/EU-to-cut-cost-of-data-roaming-in-time-for-summer-holidays.html://