Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Newcastle Utd statue to honour manager

Not Pardew (yet) but Bobby Robson. Does this mean he'll be the only individual with a statue at two clubs' grounds? (The other being Ipswich of course.)

Comments

• He was also one of the best England Managers.
  • Agree Grandpa and was an extremely nice man by all accounts. He was also famous for his malapropisim's can't recall the name of the player but the story goes that during the 1986 World Cup in Mexico the England team were in their hotel taking a day off and a number of the players were sunbathing by the pool. Bobby walks past and says "Morning lads I hope you have plenty of sun cream on the ultra ray violets are really strong here" Made me laugh anyway
  • One of the great english manager of my lifetime who had success at most clubs he managed.

However, this does slightly surprise me as, although he done okay there, it was nothing to set the footballing world on fire. But a local legend nonetheless. Met him on more than one ocassion as he lived in the same village as my ex in-laws (Langley park) Very humble man and happy to talk to anyone.
  • Great man, Great gesture by NUFC.

• I loved Bobby Robson. A very fine player by all accounts and a sucessful club manager throughout Europe.
    He devoted his life to football and his passion and enthusiasm for the game was truly wonderful.
    I remember so well a post match interview on a Sunday game when we'd beaten them (NUFC) (2-0 I think) and the reporter was saying how they were off on a mid-season break to Spain and he said something like "I don't want to go. Why should we be going to Spain after losing like that etc". He was furious.

However, I must pull people up on Sir Bobby's tenure as England manager. To be honest it was a disaster.

Euro '84 - Failed to qualify following 0-0 draw at home to Greece and 1 nil home defeat to Denmark.

World Cup '86 - Stumbled through qualification drawing 4/8 games.
    Lost to Portugal and drew 0-0 with Morocco in first two group games in finals. Only Lineker got us through with his hat-trick v Poland.

Euro 88 - Qualified but lost all 3 group games - Disaster.

Italia 90 - Scraped through group after draws with ROI and Netherlands. Muted but never confirmed that England’s progress through to semi was boosted by player power picking team and formation.

A wonderful last 3 matches for Sir Bobby for England and that is often all that people remember or are told about. But if you're old enough to have lived through all the other rubbish than your glasses are not as rose tinted as to Sir Bobby's international career.
  • I think Brian Clough has statues in Derby, Nottingham and Middlesborough.
  • Churchill has many including Wesminster, Woodford, Washington DC, Missouri, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec and Paris.
  • sheffields got one in Miguel Llera
    Yeah, I think you're right - that is impressive.
    Chirpy - Churchill doesn't count - not at football grounds. Saddam Hussain had quite a few once didn't he?
  • sheffields got one in Miguel Llera
    Isn't he actually a weeping angel and is quantum locked all the while someone's looking at him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit harsh on him Chirps," only Lineker got us through "... Well "only" Maradonna stopped us from going further. "muted (sic) but never never confirmed" ... Err, quite possibly made up then? were it true, I think it would have come out by now.

Good bit of spin to back up your argument there mate...

• I
    World Cup '86 - Stumbled through qualification drawing 4/8 games.
    Lost to Portugal and drew 0-0 with Morocco in first two group games in finals. Only Lineker got us through with his hat-trick v Poland.

I thought it was only Bryan Robson getting injured that got us through in 86 and 90? Shame that if Lampard or Gerrard got injured, in recent years we'd still have been utter shite as we still wouldn't have bothered protecting our defence from midfield.
    I think Derby is the only one actually at the ground ,the Nottingham one is in the City centre and I think the Middlesborough one is in the local park he played in as a lad.

• Bit of a cheek after the way they treated him isn't it?
  • Sir Bobby was a true gentleman and I had the pleasure to meet him once.
    I think Derby is the only one actually at the ground ,the Nottingham one is in the City centre and I think the Middlesborough one is in the local park he played in as a lad.

That's correct. Bil Shankley has his face in one of the stands at PNE and a statue outside The Kop, Anfield, perhaps that's a better example?

I thought they'd made one of Pardew to encourage far east interest.

That's correct. Bil Shankley has his face in one of the stands at PNE and a statue outside The Kop, Anfield, perhaps that's a better example?

We'll be sitting in the Bill Shankley stand tomorrow. I don't think we'll be on his face though!
  • Sir Bobby was a true gentleman and I had the pleasure to meet him once.
    Likewise....he signed his autobiography for me and that is a great read. Loved football like no one else, his hornours domestically and abroad just go to show what a manager he is. The likes of Figo, Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy all comment about how he made them world-class footballers...
  • Bit harsh on him Chirps," only Lineker got us through "... Well "only" Maradonna stopped us from going further. "muted (sic) but never never confirmed" ... Err, quite possibly made up then? were it true, I think it would have come out by now.

No spin. Just facts.

I am country over club, bit unusual these days I know.

I am old enough to remember all that I quoted. I stayed up to the early hours to watch the awful perfomances in the 86 group games.

A couple of people have named him as best England manager, he wasn't. Overall his record was pretty awful. You should have seen the press he got, headlines like: "For Gods Sake, Go Now!". Yes, that is true.

• Sponsored links:

Does he not have roads named after him in Derby & Nottingham as well?

No spin. Just facts.

I am country over club, bit unusual these days I know.

I am old enough to remember all that I quoted. I stayed up to the early hours to watch the awful perfomances in the 86 group games.

A couple of people have named him as best England manager, he wasn't. Overall his record was pretty awful. You should have seen the press he got, headlines like: "For Gods Sake, Go Now!". Yes, that is true.

Terry over Solly?

• Good for them, I think he deserves it. As a special tribute to him, they should put someone else's name on the bottom.