Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our best strike partnership over the years?

13»

Comments

• Matt Tees and Ray Tracey
  • They have all been mentioned but if someone put a gun to my head and said choose between Tees/Treacy and Killer/Flash I guess I would have to say the latter only because they were together longer.....but those Tees headers still live long in the memory
  • They have all been mentioned but if someone put a gun to my head and said choose between Tees/Treacy and Killer/Flash I guess I would have to say the latter only because they were together longer.....but those Tees headers still live long in the memory
    Tees i remember for hanging in the air when the ball come over ---Cort could get a lesson on how to head a ball with power
  • Treacy and Tees
    Wright-Phillips and Kermorgant
    Hales and Flanagan
  • edited April 2012
    Yes, in fact thinking about it all three are dead.....hadn't really contemplated that myself until you sit down and realise it......how very sad.
    Soundas,

I remember you saying you were good mates with Johnny Summers' son a while back.

I read an article where Johnny scored 5 goals in a match (not the 7-6 could be the 6-6 with Middlesbrough) and took the ball home for his boy who wasn't that interested in football so they gave it to a young boy neighbour.

Could that boy have been you?

Yes, in fact thinking about it all three are dead.....hadn't really contemplated that myself until you sit down and realise it......how very sad.
    Soundas,

I remember you saying you were good mates with Johnny Summers' son a while back.

I read an article where Johnny scored 5 goals in a match (not the 7-6 could be the 6-6 with Middlesbrough) and took the ball home for his boy who wasn't that interested in football so they gave it to a young boy neighbour.

Could that boy have been you?

No Len....John Jnr did in fact keep both the balls.....in a plasic Tesco bag under the stairs!
    The Summers family still live in the same house in Catford (just off Torridon Road) though Betty (John Juniors mum) passed away some years back.
    Several years ago I approached John to lend them to the club for display at The Valley.
    I took them to The National Trust restoration workshops down in Petworth for a bit of TLC and restoration work, which the club generously paid for.
    I must stress that they are only on loan to the club, under a written agreement with John...I believe they are in a cabinet in the directors lounge.
    As we don't have a museum (although Heather Alweyn was at one time looking at the feasability of setting one up), the 7-6 ball was in a glass display cabinet in the main entrance for sometime a few years back and I for one would like to see it displayed back there from time to time, rather than tucked away somewhere where only very few can see it.

• Mendonca & Bright ????? Surely you mean Hunt?
    who started the 98 play off final together??

hunt and mendonca did play together but they didnt hit there peak together
  • Killer and Flash ... with Paddy on the wing
    Hunt and Mendonca (with Robbo on the wing)
  • Killer and Flash for me.
  • Pearson and Melrose were good when we came up with Lennie.
  • Killer and Flash
    Mendonca and Hunt
    BWP and Yann have the makings as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Hunt and Johannson were looking really promising the year we made it back to the prem, before Hunts illness struck.
  • Matt Tees and Rodney Green bought together from Grimsby but only managed a few games together because of injury.
  • Mendonca & Bright ????? Surely you mean Hunt?

Didn't play much together really.
  • Mendonca and Leaburn were a good combo in the first half of season 97/98 until Leaburn was sold.

Great shout
  • Mendonca and Leaburn were a good combo in the first half of season 97/98 until Leaburn was sold.

Great shout
    It had the makings of a great partnership but I think they only played about five games together.
  • Deadred said:

Hales & Flanagan (before their punch up)
    Tees & Treacy (got to be right up there)
    Leary & Summers ( Soundasa£ & me [I'll be holding his coat] will fight anyone who disagrees)

this
  • Deadred said:

Hales & Flanagan (before their punch up)
    Tees & Treacy (got to be right up there)
    Leary & Summers ( Soundasa£ & me [I'll be holding his coat] will fight anyone who disagrees)

this
    Leary & Firmani
  • An underrated partnership was Leaburn and Nelson, who complemented each other well, Leaburn the targetman, while Nelson ran the channels
  • Stuart Leary is my dads all time favourite Charlton player, so I imagine he would go for the Summers/Leary combo. I never saw those two play, so for me it would have to be Flanagan and Hales. I would like to give an honourable mention for Martin Robinson who I think partnered Flanagan successfully after Killers departure. I thought he was underrated.

In terms of consistent goal scoring stretched over several consecutive seasons then Summers/Leary beats everything and Hales/Flanagan must be a close second.

I think the issue is football is a completely different game now. With continual player churn now common any club is lucky if a "striking partnership" lasts longer than 2 seasons and most players have poor seasons anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did you watch hunt play? Hunt and mendonca worked perfect together. I also find it hard that people rated bwp he missed more than he scored and could not cut it in the championship.

No one really played with bent up front sadly but banged in the goals for fun.
  • For me, Hunt & Mendonca then BWP & Yann - we never really had a prolific partnership in the Premier League IMO, always 1 on form striker (Bent, Bartlett, Euell etc) supported by a few players who chipped in
  • Taylor & Grant with 26 League goals between them with still a third of the season to go might have broken a few records. Will still, as it is, end up with the biggest tally for years which makes Grant's departure even more sad.

Hales and Flanagan with 26 league goals up till DEC 5TH 1976, THEN Hales was sold.
  • Leaburn and Mendonca is one that’s easy to forget. After Leaburn left, Clive bounced between Bright and Jones but he quoted as saying Leaburn was the best partner he had
  • edited January 2019

Leaburn and Mendonca is one that’s easy to forget. After Leaburn left, Clive bounced between Bright and Jones but he quoted as saying Leaburn was the best partner he had

I think that this was a partnership that people would have loved to have seen develop rather than one that actually did blossom. Leaburn played very few games that season for us ( 11 League and 1 FA Cup ) and scored 3 league and 1 Cup goals. I remember Clive saying that about Leaburn but it I think it was something of a lament for its very limited lifespan.
  • Taylor & Grant with 26 League goals between them with still a third of the season to go might have broken a few records. Will still, as it is, end up with the biggest tally for years which makes Grant's departure even more sad.

Strong number of assists between them too which is a good indicator of a strong partnership (did they record assists in the day of Hales’ etc.?)
  • se9addick said:

Taylor & Grant with 26 League goals between them with still a third of the season to go might have broken a few records. Will still, as it is, end up with the biggest tally for years which makes Grant's departure even more sad.

Strong number of assists between them too which is a good indicator of a strong partnership (did they record assists in the day of Hales’ etc.?)
    Don't think they did. Only FA Cup games. I understand that there were none recorded between our front two in the Maidstone game for example.
  • Hunt and Mendonca should have been great but SCM wasn’t at his best by the time Hunt became really good for us.

In my time, it’s Mendonca and Bright but I really enjoyed Lyle and KG together