Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our best strike partnership over the years?

Comments

• Options
    Hales Flanagan
    Hales Horsfield
    Hales Walsh
  • Options
    can't believe nobody said burton and mooney!
  • Options
    Killer and Flash ... with Paddy on the wing
    this
  • Options

Hales & Flanagan (before their punch up)
    Tees & Treacy (got to be right up there)
    Leary & Summers ( Soundasa£ & me [I'll be holding his coat] will fight anyone who disagrees)

Agree with Dreaded on Tees and Treacy, complemented each other perfectly.
    As an aside never thought I would see a better header of the ball than Tees in a Charlton shirt, but have now in YK.
  • Options
    Hoof the ball up to Benty, 2 mins later - bang 1-0
  • Options
    I think Leaburn hadn't signed a contract and wanted to go, it did look quite good with him and Mendonca together.

Sometimes your best two players don't automatically make the best partnership. When you look at the Mendonca/Hunt era I thought, in terms of opening things up, Clives best partner was Steve Jones and Andy's was Martin Pringle. Although Mendonca and Hunt were the better two players, they didn't always look great together.

Best one I suppose was Flash and Killer in that period between Flash going from an inconsistent winger to a class act, and the punch up v Maidstone.

• Options
    Leary & Summers, but don't forget little Sam Laurie

• Options
    After watching Barcelona in the last two games that they played it was obvious was who they needed...Carl Leaburn. Leaburn and Williams. Leaburn and Grant. Leaburn and Mendonca. Leaburn and Messi.

oh and of course throw in David Whyte an all.
  • Options

Dear little Sam...what a player....died very young in his mid forties.....somewhere around 1980.
    Think he was from Glasgow.

• Options

L

Dear little Sam...what a player....died very young in his mid forties.....somewhere around 1980.
    Think he was from Glasgow.

didn't realise that, so two of them didn't make old bones - sad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this
    Definitely this...two quality strikers, supplied by the best right winger!
  • Options
    super clive and Andy Hunt from my times
  • Options
    Yes, in fact thinking about it all three are dead.....hadn't really contemplated that myself until you sit down and realise it......how very sad.
  • Options
    this
    Yep
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yes, in fact thinking about it all three are dead.....hadn't really contemplated that myself until you sit down and realise it......how very sad.
    Soundas,

I remember you saying you were good mates with Johnny Summers' son a while back.

I read an article where Johnny scored 5 goals in a match (not the 7-6 could be the 6-6 with Middlesbrough) and took the ball home for his boy who wasn't that interested in football so they gave it to a young boy neighbour.

Could that boy have been you?

EDIT: It was the 7-4 win over Portsmouth in 1960 not the Middlesbrough game and Johnny's 14 year old son was more interested in cycling apparently.
  • Options
    Killer & Flash. no doubt.

And of course Hales was a lazy so & so when he wanted to be . just like BWP.

Had the misfortune to sit amongst BWP haters in the North Upper on Saturday. Non stop abuse about Lazy Bastard BWP !!

I thought about Hales on Saturday. he could do absolutely nothing for 89 minutes and then bang one in. Class.

Just like BWP
  • Options
    Hunt and Mendonca hardly played with each other did they?

Svensson and Bartlett at back end of 00/01 season were superb together.
  • Options
    Can't believe no one had said Melrose and Pearson lol
  • Options
    fatrob
    7:29PM
    Can't believe no one had said Melrose and Pearson lol

Great comment, remember Jim Melrose from Selhurst days, hatrick against Everton and 100% player. Also think Rob Lee started off as a striker with an early hatrick against Grimsby at the Valley when Curbs also scored!
  • Options
    Killer and flash without a doubt... We weren't really that good a side for most of the time but you always fancied one of them to score no matter who the opposition was... And so did everybody else... I seem to recall there was even a moment when the papers were calling for killer to play for england against Italy in a game we had to win.. Ray Tracey and matt tees has to be the next best partnership...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stuart Leary is my dads all time favourite Charlton player, so I imagine he would go for the Summers/Leary combo. I never saw those two play, so for me it would have to be Flanagan and Hales. I would like to give an honourable mention for Martin Robinson who I think partnered Flanagan successfully after Killers departure. I thought he was underrated.
  • Options
    Flash & Killer
    Tees & Treacy
  • Options
    My era Mendonca and Hunt. It was tragedy they never made a full season in the prem. I truely believe that if Mendonca hadn't picked up niggly injuries that first season in the prem we'd have struggled into safety: they played twenty odd games together. But for that first half of 99/00 season they were out of sight compared to others, they both took a lot of defender's physical pressure off each other, and unlike Leaburn/Mendonca both scored near one in two. Two strikers near one in two, pundits talk about but is bloody rare.

Johanson and Hunt was looking good but they only played 8 odd games together, and after that Johanson was barely scoring.
  • Options
    Leaburn and Williams.
    Why's no one mentioned Mark Mccammon?
  • Options
    Undoubtedly Mendonca and Andy Hunt
  • Options
    Alan simonsen , killer hales ..different class........................
  • Options
    can't believe nobody said burton and mooney!
    too be fair i geniunely rated deon burton1 cant say he same for mooney though.
  • Options
    melrose at west ham 9 seconds and west ham had the kick off
  • Options
    Killer and Flash for me.They didn't like each other but they certainly scared a few defences with Colin Powell providing the crosses.
  • Options
    Leaburn and Whyte